Marshall JCMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCMs?

I'm saving for a head amp from now until mid next year (Probably) anyway I want one of the JCMs, I want to get this sorted out though.

JCM 800

Apparently the best of the bunch according to most opinions, mainly looking at the 2203, is it better to go find an original of ebay, if not how are the re-issues?

JCM 900

Better in the budget section I guess, usually see them with a 1936 Cab on ebay for about £500-£600, most people moan about the diodes though which I assume is something to do with the wiring (I don't actually know what a diode is XD)

JCM 2000 DSL 100

Apparently very bland tone wise and very costly, doesn't sound very good but depends on what I hear.

The reason I ask you guys is because I can't be bothered to sign up to any more forums and this site isn't full of morons like Ultimate Guitar is. XD

Cheers Guys. ^_^
    Gear

Jackson DXMG
    Jackson JS30RR
    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
    Blackstar HT5H
    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
    Marshall JCM 800 2203
    Marshall 1960A Cab

Funnily enough I was just playing through a JCM 900 and 2000 DSL on my lunch break today using a friend's Ibanez SZ with a Duncan Custom in the bridge. The 900 lacked a lot of bottom and seemed pretty 'fizzy' for lack of a better word. The 2000 I was able to get some good tones with, lots of gain on tap. Both were through a 1960a cabinet I believe.

Keep in mind that I was playing at relatively low volume. The sound character would likely change a bit (or even a lot) if I cranked em up.

Both had touchy master volumes too, going from whisper quiet to "holy crap my teeth!" volumes in about 10 degrees of rotation.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I preferred the 900 to the 2000, which always sounds like it's missing something tonally, both at rehearsal and stage volumes. The 2000 just sounds like the pick attack is lost at high gain settings. Totally subjective of course. Since then I've decided I prefer 6L6's.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
        (I don't actually know what a diode is XD)
        Its a electronic component that limits current to moving in one direction only. Wired together with each other in the correct maner causes clipping(distortion). If your gonna push your amp with an OD pedal any how, then I wouldnt worry about the diodes any.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Thanks guys, my mate was playing a gig with a LE Redhead JCM 800 (is that what they're referred to as?) at a gig yesterday, master was only at 2 XD I'm just wondering because I love what i've heard from the JCMs and I guess i'm set on one really XD @ Hell was the 900 the original or re-issue? are they exactly the same or have they done anything new besides the effect loops with the bypass switch?
          Gear

Jackson DXMG
          Jackson JS30RR
          Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
          Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
          Blackstar HT5H
          Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
          Marshall JCM 800 2203
          Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

The 900 reissues seem a little gainy-er than the originals. However, the tone seems more like that of their new MA(Korean I think) series, which in my oppinion is bland.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I didn't even look at the back to be honest. It's a "new" floor model at a local dealer but I also know they've had it in inventory for a couple of years. Probably a re-issue if they are not a current model anymore.

I do have to say I like the sound of my Traynor combo better than either of the Marshalls. It's voiced a little closer to the classic Plexi sound than either of these amps.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I prefer the 2000 to either the 800 or 900 but that's me. I owned a 2203, and IMO you cannot get the tone they are famous for without diming them. This is obviously impractical.

The 900 is just MEH

Get the JVM410H.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

i recently got my old JCM800 2204 back. that thing is a MONSTER!!! it is 50 watts, but it is SO loud that it is pretty much unusable!!! the tone is thick and massive though. not much gain, but what is there is perfect for late 70's early 80's metal.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    I prefer the 2000 to either the 800 or 900 but that's me. I owned a 2203, and IMO you cannot get the tone they are famous for without diming them. This is obviously impractical.

The 900 is just MEH

Get the JVM410H.
                    4 Channels is overkill IMO, I like the JCM 800 because of the simplicity in the controls, I have tested a JCM 2000 when I bought my Boss ML2 Pedal, sounded absolutely killer even without it but apparently it's very bland compared to the 800, the JVMs well, they're not bad but I liked the tone from the JCMs considerably more.
                    Gear

Jackson DXMG
                    Jackson JS30RR
                    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                    Blackstar HT5H
                    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                    Marshall JCM 800 2203
                    Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      i recently got my old JCM800 2204 back. that thing is a MONSTER!!! it is 50 watts, but it is SO loud that it is pretty much unusable!!! the tone is thick and massive though. not much gain, but what is there is perfect for late 70's early 80's metal.
                      Thanks Mark, as stated earlier even though it's 100Ws but my mate used his LE redhead 2203 at a gig last night and the master was only on 2 and the room was shaking, I bloody love them XD I'm aiming for 80s metal anyway so seems good for me ^_^
                      Gear

Jackson DXMG
                      Jackson JS30RR
                      Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                      Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                      Blackstar HT5H
                      Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                      Marshall JCM 800 2203
                      Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Played the 3, own a JCM2000 DSL50. Simple controls and versatile amp. I once was able to compare it to a friend's JCM800 side by side and was able to get a very very similar tone.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I like my DSL100 just fine. I do boost it with an overdrive pedal, but that is the sound I like.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I love the 900 Mk III - that's a great amp - nice and simple - one sound and it does it well. Crackheads are looking for way too much money for those amps these days, though.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

I think they can all sound great, but my favorite are the 800s. The one I've been using for the last six or seven years is channel-switching/reverb model...a 50w combo with one or two greenback cabs.

They're not high gain amps but they sing with a pedal in front. I wouldn't worry about diodes either. That's moot if you use a pedal.

Mine's kind of a one-trick pony, but that one killer sound is all I need or want.

Check out a few. I remember the 900s getting a bad rap back when, same with the 2000s, but I don't buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X