No announcement yet.

Marshall JCMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800 is the best, if you don't want to play loud pick up an accordion.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I've found that I love the 900's and 2000's if I put EL34 SED =C= (winged C's) in the power section and EH 12ax7's in the pre-amp section. If you want less mids and more high's change the preamp tubes to Tungsol's and you'll be a happy camper.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
        I believe it; I have no doubt they're killer amps. Same for the whole line. I'm just not in the market for an amp right now.

The Mesa I did own was way too much amp for me at the time. I had saved up about $1700 when I was 17 and it seemed no saleman would sell me a Marshall, lol. They kept trying to push GK combos and other such stuff. I guess they saw me coming.

I ended up ordering a Mark III head and cab direct, and it was the shit for years. I probably didn't tweak it well enough at the time, but I always found it very harsh turned up loud. Lots of gain, but more refined sounding. When I got my first Marshall, a Jubilee combo, it was over, no contest.

The 4210 I have now is even better. But I'd like to try one of the new V's. Maybe these days I could tweak a good tone out of one, LOL!
        I have no doubt you would be able to. Mind you, they're more amp than the IV, despite being imo significantly better.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I had a JCM 800 2210 for about 15 years. Awesome amp and certainly the best JCM, but I need a bit more.
          The JVM 410H is a fantastic amp. You can easily dial in a JCM 800 tone plus you have all those other options too.
          Also, whilst on tour, my amp fell 20ft straight down from a fire escape and all that happened was I lost one of the knobs, so they're built like a tank. A Challenger II in fact.

You have to be restrained on the ridiculous gain to get the real sweet tones though.
          And if you're putting it through brand new 1960 cabs, as I did, you have to wait a few months for them to really break in and give up their secrets so baer that in mind too.
          Marshall cabs are like shoes. Once you break them in they're the best. So if you try some amps out in a shop try and use older or second hand cabs if they have them.
          Last edited by Mazrim; 11-09-2010, 03:40 AM.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Working...
          X