Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! My first Guitar Rig

Hello All,
    I am looking for some advice!! I am building my first guitar rig, and am looking for some advice on some components. Im experimenting at this stage, so bare with me......

Lets start with what I already have
    : Monster Power PRO2500 Power Conditioner
    : Korg Digital Tuner DTR2000
    : ADA MP-1 (3 tube Mod) Preamp
    : Behringer Digital EQPreamp
    : Carvin TS100 Power Amp
    -50W per channel or 100W bridged.
    -4-EL34 2 per cannel switchable to 5881/6L6.
    -2-12AX7 (input buffer) 2-12AX7 (phase inverter).
    : Line 6, X2 XDR95 wireless (coming soon)
    http://s554.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=IMG_5996.jpg

I will add at this point, I haven't heard (accept through head phones) or really got to play with this Pre amp/Power amp yet. My next purchase is a cabinet. The choice of cabinet is important due to the fact that If I dont get what out or this Pre/Power amp, Im going to go with Mesa Pre amp/Power amp.... I want to get a Mesa Stiletto 4x12 Slant cabinet, this is what I have in mind.
    NOTE: My playing style heavy......

Questions I have, 1. In your opinion, What would be the right cabinet??? Why?
    2. Im also looking for a good rackmount component to supply
    some dely,chorus, ect. Suggestions??

Thanks for your time! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!
    90'/91' Charvel (heavily modified) 275 Deluxe
    94'/95' Jackson Kelly STD
    00' Jackson RR5 with Black hardware
    O3'/04' Jackson KE3

Here is what I think if you want to go with that set up. Forget the Behringer. You don't need it. Forget the Korg rack mt tuner. Its a pain when you are playing live and have to look away from the crowd to tune. Get a floor pedal tuner like a Boss TU-2 or a strobostomp. Everybody uses them. Regarding a cab, any 4 x 12 will do if it has decent speakers. Go for Celestion V30's. The MP1 loves those. If you want a heavier tone go with an x patern. 2 T75's and 2 V30's.
    You don't need a power conditioner unless you have really dirty power where you are.
    Get a used Carvin T100. Its cheaper and basically the same thing as the TS100.
    If you aren't familiar with rack systems or live rigs in general I would keep it as simple as possible. For a heavy playing style....
    Mesa Boogie Rectifier... either single, dual or triple
    Marshall or Mesa 4 x 12 cabs running either black shadows, V30's or T75's, speaker cable,
    Guitar, floor tuner and guitar cord. Done and you will be HEAVY and the first one to set up and break down with a bullet proof rig that dudes have been slaying audiences for over over 20 years.

Comment

I agree with JG, but it sounds as if you already have the Carvin...so we'll stick with that.

Get a Mesa cab with V30s.

As far as effects, go with TC Electronics...either a G-System if you have the money or a G-Major if not. The G-System will allow you to control everything via midi...if you go with the G-Major, you'll need a midi switcher. Go with something simple like the Rocktron Midi-Mate.

Comment

JG is right on keep it simple as you can and the mp1 loves V30's.
        Maybe drop the Beheringer unit all together and get a Rocktron G.A.P 1 unit and run EQ and extra gain from it.They have a hush threshold which is great for keeping the rack quiet.
        For delay find an old Alesis midi verb you can dial in all the delay and reverb/chorus you need.Great units BTW.
        I run a Korg tuner in mine and it works great for me.
        I use a Jackson JX3 pre amp for OD and gain and it kills.
        I run stereo with a 4X12 Marshall 1960 with 75's and an Ampeg 4X12 with V30's.
        Rocktron Intellifex for effects.
        Last edited by straycat; 11-09-2010, 01:30 AM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

All good advice.

For me i personally don't care for v30's with my mp-1 and i prefer an eternal eq for the mp-1, the eq sucks on it.
          Usually i used it almost set flat like minus 1 or 2 on the mids and 1 or 2 boost the lows and cut presence a bit to taste and 1 or 2 on treble depending, and i used an eternal eq a parametric after the mp-1 - not in the loop, a pedal before it tends to be noisy as hell, i have a hybrid ultra mod4, your mileage may vary but the para mated with it was a completely different animal makes it 1000 times more versatile.
          The best speakers i found thru it were a certain pair of speaks from an older b52 ported cab which i can't remember what they were but the cabs are discontinued the cab itself sucked, but the speakers kicked ass i took and put in a peavey sheffield box, they were very much like a eminence type speaker clean and loud across the spectrum . V30's are staple, but i don't like the mid cut coloration from the speaker and prefer a clean speaker and adjust my tone from the pre and eq, less hassle and more versatile but you def cannot go wrong with the suggestions previously stated, it's a tried and true setup.
          Also likely i don't see any way around getting not having some time of noise suppression/hush unit if your gonna crank it in my experience.

Comment

G-Major is a great choice but you will need a midi foot controller for it. I suggested to lose the behringer because its just not that good.
            Rack systems with lots of gear in them appear to be very user friendly live when actually, they are more difficult to set up, there are more things to go wrong and there are more cables on the floor.
            A traditional amp head and cabinet is much more user friendly live.
            If you insist on a rack system because you have the TS100 already, try to keep it as simple as possible.
            TS100
            MP-1
            G-Major
            4 x 12 cab.

The G-major will have a tuner in it, and if I recall it has a nice noise reduction in it too. You can also use it to boost your solo's (you actually cut the regular patches, they tell you how to do it in the manual)

Comment

+1 on the noise gate, unless you are fond of constantly rolling the volume of the guitar on and off

Many people swear by the ISP Decimator, or you can use one that's built into a multieffects unit as mentioned above.

Comment

Right on! This is just the information I was looking for. You can always count on good advice here, Thanks alot guys.....
                O3'/04' Jackson KE3

Comment

I tried a G-major last weekend and its a great unit so a good choice.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    G-Major is a great choice but you will need a midi foot controller for it. I suggested to lose the behringer because its just not that good.
                    Rack systems with lots of gear in them appear to be very user friendly live when actually, they are more difficult to set up, there are more things to go wrong and there are more cables on the floor.
                    A traditional amp head and cabinet is much more user friendly live.
                    If you insist on a rack system because you have the TS100 already, try to keep it as simple as possible.
                    TS100
                    MP-1
                    G-Major
                    4 x 12 cab.

The G-major will have a tuner in it, and if I recall it has a nice noise reduction in it too. You can also use it to boost your solo's (you actually cut the regular patches, they tell you how to do it in the manual)
                    This is the best advise I've seen on here so far, jgcable is right. Only other thing I'd add is lose the wireless and go with quality cable. Most lower end wireless units affect your tone and its another potential source of unwanted noise compared to a good cable.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Thanks again, I have one other thought. Should I get attenuator (hot plate)???? Its better to use one a lower volumes, right????
                      O3'/04' Jackson KE3

Comment

Naw not needed with the Mp-1 or most more modern high gain amp really, there is usually plenty of pre amp distortion in
                        them for lower volume playing. Hotplates are more for old Marshals mainly where you need to crank the master gain to get a good distortion and not go deaf.

Example my Mp-1 rig: Guitar into Decimator ch1 - output to Mp-1 - output to Parametric eq - output to Decimator ch2 - output to Microtube200 - Cab.

More distortion than needed at any volume.

Like JG said keep it simple to start, get to know the gear.
                        If you find you really want a bunch of effects check out a gmajor or a intellifex something proven and that can be had cheaply, they have built in noise reduction as well, and the gmajor has a tuner.

Oh and well i have a furman as well - gotta plug that shit into something.

Well and looking again, you already have all the stuff you listed anyway yer good man.
                        Last edited by Trem; 11-10-2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

No need for an attenuator with that setup. The nice thing about the MP-1 is that you can use all of its preamp gain plus max out your power amp while controlling the volume with the MP-1 output level.

Comment

+1 The beauty of Rack Setups is the fact that you can get good tone at any volume, along with being able to switch out components you don't like

My rack,when finished (within a month) will be

Power conditioner
                            BBE
                            Rocktron Intellifex
                            Peavey Rockmaster Preamp
                            Rocktron Velocity 300 poweramp (original 2 space)

with a backup Rocktron Chameleon pre, and I have a Samson wireless that I got in a trade and rarely use

I don't see myself going back to a head, especially since I hate pedals
                            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Again, thank you for your time and good advice. Im going to pick up my new Mesa stiletto 4x12 cabinet this weekend. It takes time to get everything going, but I finaly get a chance to spend some time working on it..... I do have a link http://s554.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=IMG_5996.jpg to show what I already have, Picture!!!
                              Last edited by ManInTheBox6; 11-11-2010, 08:18 PM.
                              O3'/04' Jackson KE3

Comment

Working...
                              X