Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old Carvin amp day

Found this one today.Valve Master 100
    Not sure but assume mid to late 80's will have to do some research.
    Loaded with 5881 Sovtek's and GT 12ax7's
    Covered with fuzz and cat hair and gobs of dust but hey a pawn shop find so what's new there.
    Cleaned up real nice and sounds pretty good as is but the number one channel is a bit weak so it needs some TLC from my amp guru
    4X12 cab has 4 100 watt Carvin speakers so no wonder the cleans are uber clean.
    Switchable from 100 down to 50 watts, has an effects loop as well.
    The shop had $349.00 on it but with the one channel a bit fizzy I got it for $200.00 out the door.
    I figured the bias switch was on EL 34 setting and it had the 5881's in it that might be the problem so I kept quiet and shut it right down.
    Now to play with it a bit and give her the old run thru
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Yep bias switch setting was the problem. cab ohm setting was on 16 when it should have been on 8 ohms.Sounds great now the cab has tons of low end response and pushes lots of air.
    My OCD sounds great thru it.Tried a few other pedals too and the amp loves em'.
    One speaker input will need some work but that's an easy fix.
    Going to get my amp guy go thru it and fix the speaker input jack and freshen it up.
    Good deal for the low bucks invested.
    Searched a bit and found out these came out in 95 after they discontinued the X100B.
    Supposedly more gain in these.
    Last edited by straycat; 11-14-2010, 09:25 PM.

Comment

My OCD is why Ive got 3 half stacks and 3 guitars. Oh wait, maybe thats my ADHD? Oh, thats right, my OCD is why my head has to be centered on the cab and theres a strict process to set up and tear down of my rig and how its packed into my truck to and from rehearsals and where it sits in my house. No joke, I actually labor over all that and then some, Im picky and I use sanitizer on my hands almost every 30 min. or so.

Anyhow, sweet score for $200. Pawn shops are the greatest most of the time.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

LOL that is really sad! J/K.

Comment

Thats a very nice amp and a great score for $200.00

Comment

It seems pretty good so far JG I agree $200 was a great deal IMO.Hell I almost bought a Carvin slant cab for the same money a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
            X