Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate to do this guys... I need amp head recomendations

Well kind of...

Due to my recent birthday and sale of a Charvel, I've been looking into a new amp head, which I think I need/deserve. I don't know much when it comes to amps, although I know a lot about guitars. Not a good trade off :ROTF:

Back on topic, I'm looking to spend around $1000, but a little more could be done. I have around $600 at the moment and I want a head that'll last my tastes for a while.

I'm looking for an amp with 3 channels; clean, rhythm, and lead. I'd like a rhythm to have good enough "metal" distortion so I don't need a pedal, or have to rely on my lead channel, which I'd like to keep strictly for leads.

I've been checking out the Randall V2 Archetype, and the Peavey 3120. I'm not into death core or metal core, I'm more into death metal, melodic death metal, and thrash, (playing wise).

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Jetcity
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Jet City is good- May not do thrash or death metal but can do metal. I just picked up a Blackstar Stage HT 100 and it kicks major arse...Paired it up with a Mesa cab and it is extremely versatile.Definitely does thrash, not sure about death metal. I play anything from the Beatles to Pantera on this thing and it sounds great. It has a killer clean (warm basic clean or voices over to a Class A sound with killer breakup ala Rolling Stones if you want) OD1 is total Marshall JCM with a modern voice switch for a little extra gain- and OD2 is kind of cross between a modded Marshall (classic voicing) and 5150 (modern voicing) with slightly less gain. Only thing is I had to buy a second latching footswitch (20 bucks) to activate the modern voicing switch which also gives a killer boost for leads. That effectively makes it a 3 and a half channel amp.....Nice reverb too- I got mine for around your price range as a "blem" online....

Comment

I think you're definitely on the right track with the Randall V2. Don't get me wrong, I'm a tube guy for the most part, but I've heard some fantastic clips, and lots of positive feedback about the V2. That in mind, I think if I was in a metal band, I'd really like to pick up a V2.

Alternately, you can't go wrong with a 5150/6505.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Randall RM100 with the correct 3 modules.

Comment

Personally, I would pick up a used Peavey XXX and have it modded by Voodoo Amps. Have it re-tubed and biased for EL34's and rock the fuck out.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post

Well kind of...

Due to my recent birthday and sale of a Charvel, I've been looking into a new amp head, which I think I need/deserve. I don't know much when it comes to amps, although I know a lot about guitars. Not a good trade off :ROTF:

Back on topic, I'm looking to spend around $1000, but a little more could be done. I have around $600 at the moment and I want a head that'll last my tastes for a while.

I'm looking for an amp with 3 channels; clean, rhythm, and lead. I'd like a rhythm to have good enough "metal" distortion so I don't need a pedal, or have to rely on my lead channel, which I'd like to keep strictly for leads.

I've been checking out the Randall V2 Archetype, and the Peavey 3120. I'm not into death core or metal core, I'm more into death metal, melodic death metal, and thrash, (playing wise).

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
              I have the V2 Standard so far and I AM LOVING IT. Its got plenty of gain but not much fizz. Has a very Lamb of God'ish sound to it the way I have the EQ set. It can do a lot, though I recomend the SS lead channel that it has for solos only. The tube lead channel is great all around. It is also midi programmable with the foot switch so you could assign any of the buttons on the foot switch for any of the channels. For instance 1 for clean, 1 for tube lead with EQ, 1 for tube lead without EQ so you have more mids for soloing(thats how mine is programmed). The loop and EQ are assignable to any and all 3 channels and each button on the FS can be for any and all 3 channels. Very versatile and great sounding amp, and because of the Mosfet P/A which has very similar (frequency reproduction/power characteristics) read as an equation) as a tube P/A, it beefens up as you crank it rather than thin out like transistors do.
              Last edited by Twitch; 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                you can't go wrong with a 5150/6505.
                Clean may not be so clean... But who needs clean anyway? Roll the volume of your guitar if you need less grit!
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  +1

Blackface, Treadplate, UltraXL could get you by. Set the volume higher on the Ultra for lead, the Treadplate will not need a pedal for metal, and the BF is Fender-worthy clean.

Obviously, you might prefer 3 different modules - some folks would rather a Marshall crunch to a Recto grind, or a Vox clean to a Fender clean, for example - but that's the beauty of the thing. Tailor it to your tastes.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

the 3120 is very badass, I didn't think much of the lead channel (more bassy than the Rhythm), but I thought the Rhythm channel with a Peavey HP was the shit, sounded like what I hear in my head (which is a Peavey Ultra LOL)
                    Out Of Ideas

Comment

Another vote for the Randall RM100 here. The MTS Modules let you get all the tones you described. Plus this amp has a series and parrallel effects loop. The options on tones and effects routing are endless! Oh, it sounds damn good too
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        This

Comment

Thanks for the opinions, guys!
                          I'm going to check out the RM100 with the modules, and another look at the Archetype V2, and some of the other V2's. I don't think it'll be for a while, but now I know what to look at more closely. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Marshall JVM210. Best Marshall I've ever played.

Comment

Working...
                            X