Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker "Flubb" Question

Hi guys,

Ok, I've got this old Jackson 4x12 cabinet I got used a few years ago that I love to death. The only problem is that I've recently notice one of the speakers is bottoming out making an audible "flubb" between notes and chords on the lower registers. I do use a good bit of bass in my tone, not super bassy but there is a good bit and when I dial it back the problem goes away for the most part - but then my tone is thin and scratchy. The thing is, it's only the one speaker. The other 3 aren't flubbing like this one.

My question here is: what's causing it, mechanically speaking, and is there anything short of changing my tone (unacceptable) or buying a new one (too expensive) to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance,

LJ
    "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

best solution would be to buy 4 new speakers. next best solution, disconnect 2 speakers.

as far as what is causing it, that could be a multitude of things, ranging from wiring within the cab to a jacked up voice-coil in the speaker.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Sounds like the speaker surround (The foam or rubber that supports the cone) might be breaking down. Give it a visual inspection to see if you can see any cracks or tears. If that is the issue you will either need to get new surrounds installed or new speaker(s) for the cabinet.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

First check to see if it's something easy. Maybe just a dust bunny in there?

Next, try re-coning the speaker.

Comment

Thanks guys. Great advice. I'll Check it out.

LJ
          "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

Comment

What speakers do you have in yours?Mine has the red cones and they are very good handling bass tones.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X