Neck pickup to match Tone Zone in my RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup to match Tone Zone in my RR1

I've literally never used a Dimarzio pickup before so I thought I'd get my feet wet with my RR1. I picked up a DP155 Tone Zone to try out but I don't know what to match up with it as a neck pickup. I was thinking from the Duncan side of maybe going Full Shred for the neck. What would be a Dimarzio equivalent of the Full Shred or just a Dimarzio that matches up neck wise with the Tone Zone?

Thanks guys!
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Depends on what type of tone you like. As an equivalent of the Full Shred I'd say my old standby Dimarzio, the PAF Pro.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Air Norton or PAF Pro.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well, I'm looking for a neck pickup for distorted leads only. I'm not really looking for clean tones from this guitar at all, I have my RR1T with the Jazz in the neck for that. PAF Pro is what my dealer recommended and it looks like that one is getting lots of love here too hehe.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I love the PAF Pro. Excellent lead pickup. You could try a Liquifire also. I really meant warm vs bright. The Tone Zone is very warm, whereas the PAF Pro is substantially brighter. If you're like me, who likes a brighter neck pickup, you're in luck.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
            I love the PAF Pro. Excellent lead pickup. You could try a Liquifire also. I really meant warm vs bright. The Tone Zone is very warm, whereas the PAF Pro is substantially brighter. If you're like me, who likes a brighter neck pickup, you're in luck.
            +1. I prefer brighter neck pups with warmer bridge pups. The Super 2 is a brighter pup and one of my favorites in the neck, but I've only ever paired it up with either an X2N or Super Distortion. With the Tone Zone, I always liked it with the Duncan Jazz or '59, but a PAF or PAF Pro should be great.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Air Norton seems to work well with the Tone Zone, got this combo on a few guitars I have and like it.

Comment

Should I switch out the volume pot for a 500K? (Assuming the stock is a 250K)

I was checking their wiring instructions on their website and they recommend them, but I'm thinking maple and poplar might be able to use the warmer sound the 250K will bring.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Should I switch out the volume pot for a 500K? (Assuming the stock is a 250K)

I was checking their wiring instructions on their website and they recommend them, but I'm thinking maple and poplar might be able to use the warmer sound the 250K will bring.
                  I personally would. The Tone Zone is already one of the warmest pickups on the planet, and the PAF Pro is not THAT bright. I've had it in both alder and ash and liked it in either. Poplar should be similar. I don't find it to be ice-picky or anything. Up to you. :dunno:
                  Last edited by Grim; 12-07-2010, 08:48 AM.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

PAF Pro is a killer neck pickup sound. Dig it. Very clear and sharp without being harsh. Punchy.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

I personally think the Air Norton will mix better with the TZ but have no complaints on the PAF Pro.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

LiquiFire is a killer neck pickup...was my favorite...and lord knows I tried them all

Comment

Dealer had a PAF Pro in inventory so I grabbed that. I'll post feedback this weekend after I get a chance to bust out the soldering iron. I'm going to start with the stock 250K pots and I'll switch out to 500K's if I feel I need a little more bright from the pickups.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                          X