DigiTech Hardwire Tube Overdrive, Stereo Chorus, Delay/Looper Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DigiTech Hardwire Tube Overdrive, Stereo Chorus, Delay/Looper Review

I picked up three of the Hardwire pedals the day I bought the tubes for my Jet City. The first thing I noticed about them is how robust they are...they're definitely solid built and have a nice weight to them. I have a feeling they'll hold up very well to daily use and gigging abuse.

Another noteworthy aspect of these pedals is the positive "click" you get with every adjustment of the knobs. I don't really know how to describe it, but it definitely screams quality. No loose adjustments or cheap pots in these. The knobs are silent all the way through their adjustment range and have very broad range of adjustment. I really like the versatility of each pedal.

You get some goodies with the pedals. The only really useful one is the rubber guard that slides over the knobs to prevent you from hitting them while you're on stage. It comes with velcro backings as well as a small square of illuminating tape you can place on the pedals. I find the lum tape to be very lackluster, so I just used my own that I picked up at the base PX. Overall, the little extras may not prove to be absolutely necessary, but it's really cool that they're thrown in with the pedals.

As for the pedals themselves, I'll break it into a paragraph for each.

Tube Overdrive: Definitely my favorite of the Hardwire's. It was two modes: "classic" which sounds like a slightly less mid-heavy TS-808 and a "modified" one that sounds a lot like the MXR Wylde Overdrive but with even more gain. I dialed in a pretty convincing ZZ Top tone on my clean channel using the "classic" mode with the level at 2 o'clock and the gain at just over noon. With the gain all the way up, it can do a great classic rock rhythm tone. I don't really like running the modified section, it has too much high end and when you dial off the treble on the pedal it makes it muddier instead of warmer. However, if you keep the gain at about 11 o'clock, it does a nice, crunchy 80's rhythm type tone. I prefer to run this pedal in front of my lead channel with the level cranked, bass at noon, treble rolled back a little, and the gain at 0. This really tightens the bottom end up and is a great lead tone. Pinch harmonics flat out scream and chords still retain their definition. Love it.

Stereo Chorus: So far, I've only really explored on three of the modes: Studio, Boutique, and Analog. This pedal only seems to really like being played clean and sounds pretty nasty on the lead channel. However, on the clean channel, it sounds so lush and thick that I don't care about not using it with solos. The "studio" mode is a very slow, deep chorus sound with a lot of high end. Think Queensryche. The "boutique" mode isn't as crisp as the "studio", but it sounds like it takes a bit of your mid range out. Chords sounds great and I like it for strumming and slow arpeggio work alike. The "analog" is my favorite and reminds me a lot of the chorus sound in the TC Electronic G Major. Just a really nice chorus sound.

Delay/Looper: I use this pedal for two things: its "Analog" delay. This pedal sounds so much like the Carbon Copy I used to own its scary. There's longer delay in this pedal then the MXR, which is a plus to me since I like using it with the level turned down with a long delay for my leadwork. I have to keep playing with this one, but so far I'm in love. If you want a nice slapback delay, this pedal does that, too. The looper is fun to play with, but it doesn't translate your tone very well at all. It seems to cut out a lot of your high end and just sounds messy. But I didn't buy the pedal for looping, so that's not really a negative in my eyes.

Overall, I really like these Hardwire pedals. I'm planning on picking up the Metal Distortion as well as the Reverb pedal in the future. They're solidly built pedals with great tone and are very user friendly. Try them out if you get the chance but be warned: you'll end up buying one. Or two. Or three.

thanks for the review. I've been eyeing off the DL8 for a while now. I like that it can cope with a line level loop - my other delays don't want to play in the loop of my RM100.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice review.

Loved the pedal labels!

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I can backup everything DRM said, I have those same three plus the reverb and think they are great. I'm really surprised they aren't more popular. I had the tuner as well for a while but I have a turbo tuner strobe tuner so I sold the hardwire but it worked pretty well.

Comment

You'll like the Metal distortion pedal. I picked it up along with the Valve Distortion. The Metal Distortion can give you nice chunky rythym distortion all the way up to "scooped" distortion. It runs the gammet. I A/B'ed it with my older Boss Metal Zone and was very impressed. I was able to get similar sounds from both units. The Digitech gives more gain to my ears. Since my Metal Zone is on it's last legs, this Digitech pedal will replace it just fine. As for the Valve Distortion, I like it, but not as much as the Metal one. I use the Valve pedal with a low gain to get a nice 'tube' distorted sound then kick on the the Metal pedal to really crank it. Very nice series of pedals IMO.
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

Just wrapped up my first show with the Jet City and Hardwire's. They all performed great and the delay was especially impressive tonight. Didn't really need the OD pedal once the amp was really cooking, but hey...we all need that extra "talent" on standby just in case!

I really like these pedals. I definitely want to give the rest of the series a spin and see what they have to offer.

Comment

I thought they looked pretty well made.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X