My 2 new Brit amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2 new Brit amps

Over the course of the week, I've acquired 2 new amps. One was a gift and the other wasn't.

The First is a Vox Valvetronix VT40+. So far, it's been a hoot to use. It has 33 amp models and much like a Marshall JVM, it uses different colored lights to access them. It has 11 modes and 3 amp models for each mode. Green is one tone, Orange is another and Red is another one as well. It goes like this-

Clean = Dumble Overdrive Special, Roland Jazz Chorus, [3 Band Clean?]

Cali Clean= [Fender?], Fender Tweed, Fender Blackface

US Blues= Fender Bassman, Bruno Cowtiper Pro 22, Trainwreck

US 2x12= [Fender ?], Mesa Lonestar, Bad Cat

VOX AC15= Vox AC15 Channel 1, VOX AC15 Channel 2, VOX Night Train Fuzz

Vox AC30= Top Boost, Hand Wired, Brian May Special

UK Rock= Marshall JTM, Marshall JCM800, Marshall Plexi

UK Metal=
    Orange Rockerverb, Marshall JVM, Tim Caswell #39 Marshall

US High Gain= Boxner XTC, Soldano SLO, Randall or ENGL?

US Metal= MESA Dual Rectifier, Mesa Mark V, Peavey EVH 5150

Boutique Metal= Suhr OD100SE, Deizel VH4 "Heavy", Deizel VH4

Additionally, each amp model has 3 settings. Those 3 settings each have a color = Basic model> Model + Effect> Song.

It has a built in tuner, effects and you can save up to 10 presets. The best part is that i can plug my headphones into it an not bother the neighbors. The amp is 60 watts coming from a 1x10.

It sounds very tube-like and is nice for a hybrid amp. My favourite amp model so far is either a Vox ac15 or a VH4. I'm still experimenting w/ different tones.

Next is the amp I got. Its an Orange Dual Terror. The funny thing is that while it's called an Orange, It's white. Strange??????? You tell me.

For a 30 watt el34 amp, it's LOUD. The tiny terror channel sounds superb and the fat channel sounds like Fat Albert had a lovechild with a Tangerine. It's thick, but not modern day Marshall thick. It sounds like a tube screamer has been built into the "fat' channel. The half power option is nice too. I can either operate the amp in 30/15/7 watt modes. It gives me a lot of tonal variations.

So far the amp seems best suited to classic rock and hard mock/ metal stuff.

I did an AB comparison with my VOX Night Train and the vox sounded superb clean, but the OD circuit was a let down. On the other hand, the Dual Terror sounded iffy as a clean amp without much headroom, but sounded godly when the gain was rolled on.

65416_549131319945_67402512_31911585_5361429_n.jpg
    63483_549131329925_67402512_31911586_392479_n.jpg
    162812_549131339905_67402512_31911587_1975950_n.jpg
    156369_549131464655_67402512_31911598_5635664_n.jpg

Anyone else play one of the new Vox Valvetronix amps or the Orange? Thoughts?

Good stuff!!! Sweet!
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I've alwats liked the Valvetronix. I'd like to get one for practicing. I haven't used the new series that you have, but the previous ones sounded great, especially when cranked a little.

Congrats!

Comment

Had a VT15 for over a year now. I bought it when I was in a corporate apartment every week in Nashville. It was nice, but a little too boomy for the apartment, so I usually stuck with my PODs and headphones. For being only 15 watts, it's loud for a transistor. I like the feature in the back to turn down the power as well.

But when I bought the VOX, I went through all the other modelling amps (Cube 30x, Peavey, Fender GDEC) and it was my favorite of the bunch.

We stopped the weekly corporate apartments a year ago and now it's hotel rooms bi-weekly, so the VT15 has been gathering dust for the past year. My main home amps are a DSL100 and a AOR50 so none of the PODs or practice amps ever get used any more. My 15 year old son is finally starting to show an interest in guitars so I dump all the small stuff in his room
        Last edited by DonP; 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I tried the single channel Tiny Terror at my dealer and it is a great sounding little amp. Played it through a 2x12 Recto Cab with Vintage 30's.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The Orange has been sounding great. It can really scream and get a JCM800 style tone. On the flip side, its seems really well suited for lower gain stuff too. Not the worlds greatest clean amp, but punkabilly sounds great with the gain rolled back a bit and some slapback echo/ reverb.

Comment

I use a Vox VT15 in my study when I feel like playing guitar on the main level of our house. I find it is perfect for that. I have even brought it to jams when I don't feel like lugging one of my heads and cabs out of the house (which is always). Amazingly, it keeps up fine with a drummer and another guitarist.

My other practice rig is my Line 6 JM4 running into my recording computer. That's in my music room downstairs. Even though my big amps are in the music room as well, I really only use them when I have people over to jam.

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I tried the single channel Tiny Terror at my dealer and it is a great sounding little amp. Played it through a 2x12 Recto Cab with Vintage 30's.
                Same here, I tried it in a store through a Marshall 4x12 cab and also thought it was a nice sounding little amp
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                X