Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Jackson Single Coils (single coil sized)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Jackson Single Coils (single coil sized)?

I'm just wonder what your favorite Jackson single coil pickups are. I think a lot of people love the J100's stratyness. I often hear complaints that the J200's are muddy without a boost. J200R seems good to me. I don't know much about the J135.

This is like comparing "suck" and "suckier."

Seriously - IMO the J-100's are noisey and flat across the spectrum. They aren't "stratty" at all. J-200's had a little more balls to them, and sounded good with the mid-boost preamp - reminded me of Blue Lace Sensors a bit.

All in all - better to be replaced with a decent aftermarket pickup.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      All in all - better to be replaced with a decent aftermarket pickup.
      Ok, I'll bite

Replace with what? And it needs to fit in that lip-less route.

Here's what I'm working on, a Model 6 and a Model 4.

I'm thinking of doing the Model 6 stock, (J200's, J50 and boost).

The Model 4 I'm thinking of doing an HS3, HS2 and a J80C or J90C. No boost. Yes, I know what you think of the J80C but I have to try it out. I just gotta know for myself.
      Last edited by DonP; 12-16-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

You can get any pickup lip-less. You just need to custom order it. IME - the EMG S and SA are the best sounding single coil pickup in a basswood model series. After that - dimarzio blue velvets - ballsy single coils without the Texas Special "whooompfh."

I would forget the HS and Dim YJM models. They are very low output and donnot match well with a humbucker in the bridge.

I would aim for a single coil with a mid hump and lots of treble response - but i don't know what sound you're looking for.
        Blank yo!

Comment

I would forget the HS and Dim YJM models. They are very low output and donnot match well with a humbucker in the bridge.
          I can attest to that. Have a HS3 paired with a Super 2 in my Model 2. The pickup sounds good, but the volume drop makes it just about unusable for me. Thinking of yanking it and throwing it in the bridge of my Model 1A.

I put a JB/classic stack set out of an SL1 into my Model 4.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

You can get any pickup lip-less. You just need to custom order it. IME - the EMG S and SA are the best sounding single coil pickup in a basswood model series.
            I can agree with that. The EMG-S and 81 set in my Fusion PRO/Charvel Fusion Deluxe mutt sound very good.
            After that - dimarzio blue velvets - ballsy single coils without the Texas Special "whooompfh."
            Can you explain that? I have Tezas Specials in a Strat

I would aim for a single coil with a mid hump and lots of treble response - but i don't know what sound you're looking for.
            I don't know what I'm looking for either Just something that sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              I can attest to that. Have a HS3 paired with a Super 2 in my Model 2. The pickup sounds good, but the volume drop makes it just about unusable for me. Thinking of yanking it and throwing it in the bridge of my Model 1A.
              Damn, didn't realize these HS2 and HS3 pickups were that low in the output. I was thinking I could get YJM leads out of the neck and something crunchy from the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Can you explain that? I have Tezas Specials in a Strat.
                I like Texas specials but they have a rounded quality to the bass that gets away from the spanky bass that I like in 50's style singles.

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Damn, didn't realize these HS2 and HS3 pickups were that low in the output. I was thinking I could get YJM leads out of the neck and something crunchy from the bridge.
                I like YJMs and I think they sound good but not if you want to maintain a balanced output level. By themselves they sound very good. Like Yngwie? Well...
                Blank yo!

Comment

Ok, one guitar down. The Model 6 is done, and sounds absolutely fabulous with the J200-J200-J80C and the JE1200 boost.

I'm going to try the HS3 and HS2 in the Model 4 with my other JE1200 to see how that sounds.

Comment

Working...
                  X