Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scratchy pots on amp... How to clean them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scratchy pots on amp... How to clean them?

My son's lil' solidstate Marshall has terrible scratchy pots/knobs... Is there a way to clean/fix this?

If yes, what to do and what to use? Thanks in advance.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Electronic contact cleaner. There may or may not be hole in the back of the pot to shoot it into. If thats doesn't work, buy a new pot, there cheap. Just make sure you get the right ohm value, as theres lots of different ones available.

Comment

lay the amp with the back to the floor. pull the knob of and spray right where the post meets the body of the pot and turn back and forth. amp off and unplugged of course. repeat a few times, give it a min or 4, then cut it back on and it should be cleaned out

Comment

And DO NOT use WD-40.
        Can't believe how many times I've seen that suggested.

ete and jdr are right, and rotate vigorously.

Comment

What's wrong with the WD? That is what I have always heard.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
            What's wrong with the WD? That is what I have always heard.
            WD contains solvents that can dissolve the carbon wiper contacts that make the pot work.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Wow. Never knew that.
              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Thanks everyone. Very appreciated. Will go get "electronic contact cleaner".
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Try and find a contact cleaner with lubricants, they have stuff specifically designed for pots.

Something like this is the way to go.

801B electrical contact cleaner spray cleans, lubricates and protects contacts. It contains a slow drying, plastics-safe solvent that removes stubborn residues. The PPE enhances conductivity and provides long term protection from oxidation. It also bonds to the surface of metals and is particularly effective on gold, protecting gold contacts for life.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

It may be easier and better off in the long run to just replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      WD contains solvents that can dissolve the carbon wiper contacts that make the pot work.
                      Not only that, but WD40 is oily and tends to hold lint and dirt. After a while that will affect the pot too
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        Try and find a contact cleaner with lubricants, they have stuff specifically designed for pots.

Something like this is the way to go.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html
                        Is that the same stuff they used to call tuner cleaner?
                        My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                        Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

It could have possibly been called tuner cleaner, but according to the white papers PPE lubricants have been in use for 20-30 years, which would put it's emergence at right around the time mechanical tuners were replaced with electronic phase locked loops.

This stuff is basically a quick evaporating solvent carrying a two percent PPE lubricant mixture. The lubricant gets deposited in a very thin layer on the device and the solvents will carry off other garbage as it evaporates.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working great guys! The lil' amp now sounds as good as new. Thanks for all the help.

Electronic shop was closed but went to a car shop, found some electrical contact cleaner with no oil residue and safe for plastics. Worked great.
                            JB aka BenoA

Comment

I'm glad to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                              X