Anybody use the Randall RT100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use the Randall RT100?

Just curious as to your opinions and thoughts on it.

I was just wondering the same...I watched a high-gain demo of it today and I was not impressed whatsoever. Maybe it was just the players and/or the dial in. Gain is there in spades, but it sounds like mush...there's no definition.

Comment

I was kind of interested in these until I saw this. On other points though, it looks like another Bruce Egnator design, which is a plus. As far as it being mushy sounding, if you pause around the 1:01 mark you see the treble is rolled back to the 10 oclock position and Ive never felt Greenbacks to be coupled well with high gain amps.

And as a side note, the illumination in the case is on, which to me, would mean the amp is on, but clearly there are no speakers hooked up for the walk around in the intro, which is not a good practice having your amp on with no load.

Anyway, these demos of amps Ive found to 9 times out of 10, be completely useless as they never seem to use the EQ setting youd use as a starting point to find if it can produce the sound youre looking for. For instance, I must have watched a dozen of these magazine and namm demos of the 6505+ and was completely disgusted until I found one I could play for myself and was quite impressed at that point.

Everyone seems to think they need gobbs of midrange, but the reality is, the only time you need to stand out of the mix is for a solo. For rhythm, you want to sit in the mix, if you stand out the whole set then youre the asshole thats always got to be louder than everyone else. "Oh, my (insert modern 3 channel amp here) doesnt cut through the mix". Well, its got 2 lead channels, set one for solos with more midrange, set the other for rhythm with more of a scoop and switch between them and quit complaining.

Sorry , this just all came out at once, the later half was not aimed at the OP or anyone else specifically.

P.S. Im still loving my Randall V2 Standard. Randall's good stuff mostly.
      Last edited by Twitch; 12-18-2010, 11:58 PM.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Nice one Twitch! I agree with you...you never know what the settings are on these demos, but I still can't get past how bad it sounds in this clip. You can't say for certain that the settings shown in the walkthrough are the same settings the guys used when playing. They did this with 14 amps and some of them sound damn good in the demos. This was by far one of the worst of the bunch IMO.

Comment

Working...
        X