New Amp Reviews to come...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Reviews to come...

I guess its sort of a pointless thread at this given time but on Thursday I am picking up a Jet City JCA2112RC. This is the 20w combo. Its based on the Soldano Atomic 16 and its totally designed by Mike Soldano and made in China. All parts sourced overseas by Mike himself. Because it has tube driven reverb I guess its more based on the Soldano Astroverb.
    Have you heard the clips of these amps online? Outstanding to my ears.
    I may add an effects loop and do some of those Dave Friedman mods on it.

I am also picking up a retubed Blackheart BH5H 5 watt head. These amps have been getting incredible reviews. Its coming with a matched and voiced Marshall 1 x 12 cab with a new Vintage 30 in it.
    I plan to do some tasty mods on that one for sure. The build quality is reported to be very very good.
    Anyway, reviews to follow shortly.

I've heard good thing on the Jet City so I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
      I've heard good thing on the Jet City so I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
      Yea, the Jet City amps have received nothing but great reviews from amateurs and pros alike. I won't pull any punches. Thats for sure. I have been looking for a Soldano type tone for some rhythm tracks I need to lay down in the studio. We have a ton of amps but the only one that sounds remotely like a Soldano is an old 5150II
      I used to own a few Soldano's. An Atomic 16, an Astroverb, a USA made SP77 and a beautifully made SLO100 clone. I should have never sold that SLO clone. Really dumb move. A JCF member owns it and hopefully one day I will be able to buy it back from him. It has been in storage for all these years in Florida.

Comment

I had one of the JCA20 heads and it's matching 112 cab. You can get some killer tones out of that little thing! The Friedman mods are just sick...$750 for the 20-watt head with the BE, saturation and loop is a steal. Once I become employed again, I'll probably pick one of them up for my practice rig.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
          I had one of the JCA20 heads and it's matching 112 cab. You can get some killer tones out of that little thing! The Friedman mods are just sick...$750 for the 20-watt head with the BE, saturation and loop is a steal. Once I become employed again, I'll probably pick one of them up for my practice rig.
          I am picking them up for the studio. We have some specific tones that I created with the POD X3 that I want to reproduce with a real amp. One is a medium gain tone and one is Soldano based. So far, on the 10 songs we have recorded for the new album we have a Carvin V3, Carvin Quad X, Randall RM100 with the Blackface, Ultra and XTC modules, and some POD X3 tones filling in the frequencies we can't catch with the tube amps.
          We also use some Amplitude samples and even some guitar samples on keyboard.
          If the Jet City sounds as good in person as it does in the clips online I will probably use it for a classic rock local side band I have been working with. I do still have an absolutely rediculous sounding Laney AOR 30 Protube 1 x 12 combo to use too but I would like to save that one for trade bait. I need another guitar and it will be the perfect bait to catch me a good one. AOR 30's are very rare in the USA. Hardly any came over from England. Mine runs 6V6's and has the original Fane speaker in it. I bought it from the original owner. Its dated 3/1985.

Comment

Id love to come across a deal on a Quad X.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I'm loving my 50 watt head. You can get some killer hard rock/80's metal tones out of it. It sounds nothing like my Avenger did, but it has a great hot rodded JCM vibe to it and the clean/crunch channel is the best part of the amp. Personally, I think it sounds a lot better for leads since it has this harsh upper mids voicing that makes rhythms sound too fizzy for my tastes. But for any kind of leadwork it just cuts through the mix effortlessly. I've had no issues whatsoever with using it live and at practice.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                We have some specific tones that I created with the POD X3 that I want to reproduce with a real amp.
                Cool!!! We have now come full circle. Trying to use a real amp to model tones from a modeler.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                  Cool!!! We have now come full circle. Trying to use a real amp to model tones from a modeler.
                  You are right about that. The one thing that we always comment about in the studio is how great the POD X3 5150 models sound as compared to the real thing. We have had the 5150 block letter, the 5150II and we can never get them to sound as good as the 5150 on the X3.

Comment

Working...
                  X