Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on the Fender G Dec 15 amp please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the Fender G Dec 15 amp please?

I need a bedroom level practice amp with built in FX and the drum patterns look to be pretty fun as well?

Have yet to actually plug one in mind you. How are those little amps?

How loud is the 15 as well? Rehearsal level at most?

I have one. It's pretty cool. I think it's a great learning tool.

Not very loud IMO. I bought this and a Vox VT15 for when I was in a corporate apartment, and the Vox was way too loud. The G-DEC was not too loud. I don't think it could keep up with live musicians. This is one of those where transistor watts don't equal tube watts (or Vox watts because the Vox had a SS poweramp).

Comment

The GDEC-15 does alot of things, unfortunately, it does none of them exceptionaly well.

First off, the overdrive tones are the worst Ive EVER heard in any amp. Second, the effects are very limited, and overall, not that good in terms of sound quality. Though the backing tracks are sweet.

The amp is loud enough for a bedroom, but I wouldnt try to rehearse with a band with it, as its tone gets very harsh when its turned up.

Using the amp with the included FUSE software is easy and theres a ton of patches / presets available on the Fender FUSE website, but using the amp on its own (no pc / software) can be a real pain in the a**.
      Changing preset parameters and storing your own tones without the software is just frustrating.

IMO there are better amps out there in the GDEC-15s price range. But thats just my opinion, you may like the amp. Id take the time and spend at least 30 mins "test driving" one before making the purchase though.

Quick note ... the GDEC-30 has alot of features the 15w version doesnt, so if you like the 15, you may want to consider the 30 .

Comment

I had the small G-Dec. It was OK - but all the backing tracks were midi and the models were not very good. I would check out the Line-6 Spider Jam. Studio instrument drum and backing tracks and better amp models. I regularly use the pedal version (Jam Looper or whatever) for practice.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Brozz View Post
          IMO there are better amps out there in the GDEC-15s price range.
          ? I bought mine a GC for $130. Nowadays I see them in craigslist hoping for $75. Show me a better $75 amp.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            ? I bought mine a GC for $130. Nowadays I see them in craigslist hoping for $75. Show me a better $75 amp.
            I was referring to the amps $299 (new) retail price.

Comment

They are pretty cool, but I'd step up to the 30W version if you have the means. The 15W is a bit thin, especially with backing tracks going.

Comment

Cheap Chinese made amp with good ideas behind it, just the poor build quality brings it down. I'd like to see something similar from another amp maker.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  Cheap Chinese made amp with good ideas behind it, just the poor build quality brings it down. I'd like to see something similar from another amp maker.
                  I have to agree that the idea behind the GDEC is a very good one. Just doesnt hold up well in a real life application.

Comment

Originally posted by Brozz View Post
                    I was referring to the amps $299 (new) retail price.
                    Fuck that I'm surprised they sold a new one so that I could buy a used one

Comment

Considering the new models are out, i would opt for the Gdec 30 watt used...should be able to snag one for $175.00?

Comment

Yeah there have been quality control issues with them. Once you get a good one, though...they are rock solid.

Comment

For comparable $ I would get either the Mustang I or the Mustang II. I own the Mustang I and for the $99 it cost it is ultra cool. It has built in effects that you get to tweak to your liking and you can download amp patches other people have created to your amp as one of your presets or you can save them to your library on your computer and use them when you want to. Check out some of the you tube videos. Fairly good demos here.
                          http://www.fender.com/products/mustang
                          The stock Marshall presets suck but once you tweak them they sound real good. The stock Fender ones sound quite authentic for the amp they model. It also comes with Amplitude Fender software and Ableton recording software but I haven't messed with either of those things yet. The presets are real sensitive to the guitar you make it with. Change to a guitar with different pickups you will probably have to change the settings on the patch you previously made for it to sound the same.
                          Last edited by spencer4hire; 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM.
                          RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                          CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                          Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                          Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Working...
                          X