Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's playing metal with a Duncan Screamin' Demon through a high-gain amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's playing metal with a Duncan Screamin' Demon through a high-gain amp?

Years ago, when I got my first Jackson DR2, I absolutely couldn't get a good tone for "extreme" metal with the stock Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon bridge pickup through my Peavey TransTube Special 212 combo. Solos sounded good, but I just couldn't get the kind of tight low end I wanted for palm mutes and rhythm riffs in general. I replaced it with a Full Shred, loved it, and that was that. But now I have another DR2 (ash body, same as the first one) with stock pickups, and being that I already have one such guitar with a Full Shred, I'm tempted to give the Screamin' Demon another chance. I've basically gone full circle with amps, as after many years using various pedals and rack units, I'm using a Peavey XXL, which is also from the TransTube line.

My XXL is at our practice space (drummer's garage) and I won't be back over there until the weekend, so I thought I'd see if anyone has had any success using a Screamin' Demon for thrash/death/black metal. I play in standard tuning, and my favorite pickup overall is the Duncan Invader, but I already have two guitars with Invaders, including one Dinky RVS Professional that is virtually the same as the DR2 but with a rosewood fretboard instead of ebony.

Anyone?
    sigpic

The Demon blows. It's not a high gain p'up - more of a muddy mess. I just don't know what it would really be good for. I've tried it through many amps. Nothing sounded good.

The Full Shred is everything the Demon wishes it could be. I've had the Demon in three guitars, and hated it in every single one.

Comment

I had it in an alder/rosewood Fernandes Revolver pro and it was a tad bright but pulled off the rhythm in a metal band just fine.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Try a SD Alternative 8.

Comment

I play thrash metal, but not

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
          death/black metal.
          I use the Screamin Demon for an Armored Saint tone (early stuff) and for Lynch stuff. But I don't think I'd use it for thrash.

I have it loaded in an Alder body 25.5" scale bolt on, rosewood board, Kahler Killer 2700 trem.

Comment

I play 80's hard rock and have used the Demon in many of my Jacksons. Its a medium output pickup which matches up well to high gain amps I think. I had a Full Shred in the bridge of one of my Rhoads'. It was in there when I bought the guitar (used). That pickup sounded so weak to me I offed it immediately!
            If you like Invaders there is a huge difference between that and a Demon. But to answer the original question, yes I use the Screamin' Demon through high gain amps such as a Bogner Uberschall
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

The SD is a good pickup. I have a couple of them in bridge positions. I don't know what you call hi gain but I used it with VHT, Bogner, Splawn, Mesa and Marshall amps. I think folks look at the name "Screamin Demon" and think its a super high out puckup but the truth its its pretty tame low to mid output levels. I actually liked it about 3 different guitars, didnt like it in a couple others. Thats how pickups go. You can't really make up your mind on hearing it in one bodywood type.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                I had a Full Shred in the bridge of one of my Rhoads'. It was in there when I bought the guitar (used). That pickup sounded so weak to me I offed it immediately!
                See, that's a case of the wrong pickup in the wrong guitar. Was the RR Floyded s well? The Full Shred was designed for dark LP type guitars. My Full Shred set is in a 750XL string thru, and it is very meaty. It can be a great thrash metal pickup (Seek and Destroy), or a great rock pickup (I've been playing Michael Schenker with it lately).

The one oddball case I've seen a full shred in was s an OEM pickup in an Ibanez single hum bolt on. I only played the guitar at GC and it sounded good, but I like guitars with am edge.

Comment

I'm still on the fence about this. If I only had a couple of guitars, the SD would be on its way out, but I have a guitar/pickup/rig option for just about every likely scenario. I have multiple guitars with Invaders, Full Shreds and JBs, and a couple with DiMarzios, Armstrongs and EMGs, so it won't kill me to sit tight.

If I did replace the Screamin' Demon, it'd probably be with the Alternative 8, although I wouldn't rule out another Invader or Full Shred if the price was right.
                  sigpic

Comment

I dont like the demon. fucking low output mud sound. its a whimp. the name is very misleading. and I really dont think it sounds like lynch either. at least I have never been able to make it sound like his tone. thats just my opinion.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I like '59s for metal with a high-gain amp. The Screamin Demon is a little higher output than the '59, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any type of PAF pickup like that usually works.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now that I think of it, the Screamin' Demon from my first DR2 sounded good when I moved it to a basswood Dinky, but I still ended up replacing it with an Invader. According to the "tone chart" on the Duncan site, the Alt 8 doesn't seem to be that different from the Invader, but from a frequency perspective only, neither does the Demon.

I'll take a trip down to the local shop that does my mods and repairs, and see if they have anything interesting in stock. They'd probably give me a decent trade-in on a different pickup if I decide to go that route. But first, I'll have to crank the Demon and see what it can do. I can't base my decision on results I got 10+ years ago with a different rig.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          See, that's a case of the wrong pickup in the wrong guitar. Was the RR Floyded s well? The Full Shred was designed for dark LP type guitars. My Full Shred set is in a 750XL string thru, and it is very meaty. It can be a great thrash metal pickup (Seek and Destroy), or a great rock pickup (I've been playing Michael Schenker with it lately).

The one oddball case I've seen a full shred in was s an OEM pickup in an Ibanez single hum bolt on. I only played the guitar at GC and it sounded good, but I like guitars with am edge.
                          Yes, as a matter of fact it was in a Floyded Rhoads. It gave me the same impression as the Pearly Gates in the Shannon Soloist, Yuck, weak!
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                            I dont like the demon. fucking low output mud sound. its a whimp. the name is very misleading. and I really dont think it sounds like lynch either. at least I have never been able to make it sound like his tone. thats just my opinion.
                            I have not been able to make it sound like Lynch either. But I think it does work good with higher gain amps. I don't really know how much Lynch used that pickup. Most of his Dokken recorded stuff was with a Duncan Distortion.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              I have not been able to make it sound like Lynch either. But I think it does work good with higher gain amps. I don't really know how much Lynch used that pickup. Most of his Dokken recorded stuff was with a Duncan Distortion.
                              really? He used a duncan distortion? I did not know that. I never really knew what he used. I just dont ever recall reading an article where he talked about pickups. Thanks for the info.

as far as the demon, I just never had any luck with it. I dont know why. just not my style I guess. I know I am a weirdo, but I am such a duncan JB fan. I know alot of folks dislike them here, but for the stuff I play, they just fucking rule. IMO the JB walks all over the demon. The JB just rips thru any mix. it jumps out and grabs your ears, in a good way. but.... tone is subjective.......its just my opinion of what sounds good. others might think its shit.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X