No announcement yet.

Matchless Lightning - a real good amp!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchless Lightning - a real good amp!

Hi all! I'm new around. I wanted to know your opinions about the Matchless Lightning. In my view, an expensive but reliable, powerful but mellow-sounding amp. By far, the best amp I've ever owned!

Here's how it sounds clean:

See you later. Take care!

http://qandthemoonstones.com/en/

http://www.youtube.com/user/quiquebonal

You aren't kidding. That is an outstanding amp! Have you ever played through a Chieftain?
    I never have but would love too. I am also a huge fan of the Spitfire.

Comment

Matchless makes top notch amps. Wouldn't mind having one myself! Others that are relatives to Matchless through the Mark Sampson connection are Bad Cat and Star. All good stuff but very pricey! Congrats on your Lightning
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

No chit mon.

I've not had the intimate contact but played a DC30 at two guitar shows (not the best setting), and have played
        the cousins Dr. Z's a couple times.

I made a Spitfire, long story, but am about to build another next.
        What I love about the "boutique" touch sensitive amps-the ability to dial in anything from chime-like cleans
        to a respectable dirt just with the guitar, no need for pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
          No chit mon.

I've not had the intimate contact but played a DC30 at two guitar shows (not the best setting), and have played
          the cousins Dr. Z's a couple times.

What I love about the "boutique" touch sensitive amps-the ability to dial in anything from chime-like cleans
          to a respectable dirt just with the guitar, no need for pedals.
          You built a Spitfire clone? cool! Did it sound fairly close to the Matchless?

Rudy
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

HellifIknow!

I have never played a real Spitfire!

As mentioned, played a DC30, and some Dr. Z's.
            But yes, a damn good amp, if a little one dimensional.
            Fun to say the least.

But I messed it up.
            I detected a little hum, and when I modified the power section it only made it worse.
            Something about the filaments for the power tubes sharing filament with the rest of the tubes.
            Learning...can be hard.

Rather than modding it back I am going to start another one.
            And then fix the one I screwed up...sometime.
            Last edited by Cygnus X1; 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              You aren't kidding. That is an outstanding amp! Have you ever played through a Chieftain? I never have but would love too. I am also a huge fan of the Spitfire.
              Never have but, like you, would love to.

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              Matchless makes top notch amps. Wouldn't mind having one myself! Others that are relatives to Matchless through the Mark Sampson connection are Bad Cat and Star. All good stuff but very pricey! Congrats on your Lightning
              thanks roody

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              What I love about the "boutique" touch sensitive amps-the ability to dial in anything from chime-like cleansto a respectable dirt just with the guitar, no need for pedals.
              Nailed it! Thanks, and could you post some pics/vids od the Spitfire? I'd love to watch it. Take care!

http://qandthemoonstones.com/en/

http://www.youtube.com/user/quiquebonal

Comment

I used to have a 2x10 Lightning Reverb...great amp!!! I used it in a two amp setup with a '68 Deluxe Reverb and it sounded huge.
                That said, I sold it eventually but I still have my 2x12 Chieftain which has a similar voicing/tone but with the expected tighter lows, more pristine highs, and more clean headroom (although it gets dirty in a Plexi meets Vox AC30 kind of way when you light it up) from the extra wattage. The reverb is also much better on the Chieftain. I was fortunate in that I got these amps at cost as a Matchless dealer.

Comment

Working...
                X