Boost for leads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost for leads?

Hey guys, I need a tip on how to boost my leads..I'm currently running my Gibson flying v thru a Crybaby and a Boss tuner then straight into a 6505 thru a Bogner Ubercab. I'm thinking that a MXR Carbon copy will both boost and add some air to my leads..Any thoughts on this, or is there any better option out there at this price?
    I believe in keeping stuff as simple as possible, hence this setup..
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

BY "boost" do you mean more volume or more gain...

If more gain... D'oh! You already have a 6505 (which I also own) I can barely see why you would need more gain but any overdrive pedal could do the job...

If more volume, use an EQ in the loop. I do it, I keep it flat and use the volume of the pedal as a volume boost.

If you could explain how a delay (MXR Carbon Copy) could be used as a boost, that's something I'd like to understand.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

The carbon copy will definitely add some "air", but could only add perceived volume if theres a feedback setting, meaning the output of the echo being fed back into the input of the delay, giving you a sense or more volume(giving the EVH, or Gilmour sounding wail). You can get a perceived volume boost from your wah because it will accentuate the notes in their respective part of the frequencie sweep. I take this route often as I like to use wah, it just seems to make notes cut through better without a volume boost, but wah as with delay, isnt always appropriate for solos.
      Last edited by Twitch; 01-02-2011, 09:47 PM.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

EQ works like a charm.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

MXR Super Comp if youre not already beating the hell outta the front end of your amp with other pedals.
          http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

You could also try a mxr micro amp in the loop. It's a very clean boost only pedal that has quite a bit of available boost to it - with nothing else added.

Comment

Originally posted by MortenP View Post
              Hey guys, I need a tip on how to boost my leads..I'm currently running my Gibson flying v thru a Crybaby and a Boss tuner then straight into a 6505 thru a Bogner Ubercab. I'm thinking that a MXR Carbon copy will both boost and add some air to my leads..Any thoughts on this, or is there any better option out there at this price?
              I believe in keeping stuff as simple as possible, hence this setup..
              You know those little round things on the guitar called Volume?

Turn down the volume, adjust you amp gain, then (when you are ready for a lead) turn up the volume, you'll have more for the leads.

Comment

I've heard a lot of good things about these:
                Orion Effekte - Minus Booster Effect pedals for electric guitar. Handmade in Germany. Boutique effects for your pedalboard. Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, Booster and Reverb.

It pretty much does what a volume pedal in the fx-loop would do, but if you like it simple:
                pushing a knob might be your thing.
                And it ensures your volume levels are always the same, unlike with a more analog volume pedal for example.
                The quality should be awesome as well.

If you want to change your frequencies as well I agree an equalizer would be the best way to go.
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Use a volume pedal in the loop.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

eq pedal with the frowny face in the loop. tweak the volume with pedals output level.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

When I had pedals I relied on a Boosta Grande. It was OK but I'd try these ideas above first.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                        You could also try a mxr micro amp in the loop. It's a very clean boost only pedal that has quite a bit of available boost to it - with nothing else added.
                        it's not the only one. The MI Audio Boost N' Buff will give you up to 35db of boost. Plus it acts as a line buffer

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Use a volume pedal in the loop.
                        Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                        eq pedal with the frowny face in the loop. tweak the volume with pedals output level.
                        either of these will work. The EQ pedal is cool because you can tweak your mids to allow it cut through more when engaged. So it's not just a volume increase for leads.

My old EQ pedal wouldn't work in the loop of the RM100 so on jgcable's recommendation I've recently picked up a Little Alligator. It has a minimum volume knob so your rhythm volume is always the same.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Morley Little Alligator Volume pedal in the loop.

Comment

Lil Alligator in the loop. Nuff said.

Comment

Isnt the Gator passive though? That would be no different than rolling the volume knob.
                              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                              X