Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicky Guitar Processor Review!!!

Digitech RP21D
    Guitar processor. Floor mount. 10 switches and an expression pedal.
    More effects than any human could ever want.
    Great tuner
    Outstanding Whammy pedal
    It even has a sampler and a looper in it.
    This isn't a modeler. Its a Digitech S Disc II processor. Kind of like the GSP2101 series.
    Easy to program, SPDIF out. Parametric and graphic EQ's, noise gate, pitch shifter, harmonizer.
    Cabinet Emulator
    This floor mounted guitar processor is tube driven and solid state. It has a 12AX7 preamp tube in it. You also have the option of having either tube driven preamps or solid state or you can have a combination of both. You can even morph between each using the expression pedal.
    So... how does a 10 year old guitar preamp/effects processor sound considering all of you guys are into your software AXE FX rigs?
    It sounds really good. Very warm sounding.
    Here is the best thing about it..... the sound coming through the headphones is so good it begs you to play for many hours. Plug it into the return of your amp or in the front and just start jamming. You can set it up for mono or stereo output and there are tons of effect routing features. It has midi in and out, SPDIF out, left and right outs, and a nice big display so that you can see it at night.
    I think it sounds better than the following...
    Boss GT6, GT8
    POD XT Live
    Zoom 9.2TT
    Another great thing about this guitar processor is that you will spend much more time playing than tweaking. Its cheap as heck now too. They were between $500 and $600 new back in 2000. There is one on Ebay now for $500.00 but that guy must be smoking something good. The one I picked up locally is cosmetically challenged but it works perfect. The guy gigged with it for almost 10 years. He had the footswitch contacts all replaced a few years ago because he wore them out!! Very sturdy built. There is a clip of a guy playing a Megadeth song on Youtube using one and it sounds great. That is exactly what the RP21D sounds like. There is a patch that he used on the video that is a factory patch that wasn't tweaked at all.
    Anyway... the DIGITECH RP21D. Check it out.

I always loved the Digitech GNX-3's and upward models.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I couldn't find any available. I did find a GSP1101. Anyone have experience with this one?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

cool,
        yeah i was looking for one of those for awhile way before i got my axefx but the only ones i found on ebay looked kicked to the curb.
        If your talking about this guy, he's pretty good, sounds exactly like Mustaine in this video too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shj5AlPd_I8

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
          cool,
          yeah i was looking for one of those for awhile way before i got my axefx but the only ones i found on ebay looked kicked to the curb.
          If your talking about this guy, he's pretty good, sounds exactly like Mustaine in this video too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shj5AlPd_I8
          I am 100% positive that the Axe FX smokes this old 11 year old guitar processor but this thing sounds darn good. I bought it because of the price and the whammy pedal feature. I really have little to no need for it but I always snap up cool processors, modelers and amps to noodle around with. The last few Digitech rack mount guitar processors I owned were very good. I had a GSP2101 that I thought was excellent. I actually hav owned a bunch of the GSP series processors. The S Disc II is an excellent processor.
          I am still looking for a dirt cheap GNX4 but no luck so far. They still sell for around $200.00 used. Recently I owned a GNX3000 that sounded darn good but didn't play well with the amp I had at the time. I think the RP21D must be fairly rare because it rarely come up for sale and there isn't a ton of info on it online.

Comment

Wow, I never would have guessed you’d be reviewing this old-school processor. I had alot of experience with the RP series.

My friend originally had the RP12. And I had the predecessor to the RP21, the RP20, which sounded alright with my ss amp, but sounded much better when I got the mesa 50/50 poweramp. And from here, I upgraded to the rackmount version, the 2120 which boasted 2 of those S-disc II processors, which allowed seemless effects on/off between patches, unlike the RP20 version. Luckily I got one with the Control One board so it had the same buttons as the floor processor. This sounded very good, and used it for a long while, but since I never used much more than 2 of the effects, and decided to sell it before it became too obsolete and get a good tube pre-amp. Using the RP20 with headphones was really cool with the stereo effects. It wasn’t cheap, neither. I got mine barely used from a friend; he dropped the price a bit but it still cost over $500 back in ‘97-98.

It’s interesting because these were good sounding units, but came out before the the term “modeling”.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I owned a digitech floor unit (don't remember which) and i was playing a Megadeth song and my bro walked and and said he thought it was the CD until he didn't hear any drums. Those old tube unit were great should never have gotten rid of it.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Hell, even the cheap RP200s sound good for what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                  I owned a digitech floor unit (don't remember which) and i was playing a Megadeth song and my bro walked and and said he thought it was the CD until he didn't hear any drums. Those old tube unit were great should never have gotten rid of it.
                  Thats the one thing I notice with the Digitech units. They really have a studio recorded type tone to them. When you are playing along with the song its almost impossible to tell the difference in tone. Very studio sounding.

Comment

I have a mint RP-`12 sittin here right now...plugged it in about 4 months ago... Sounded like Canned Ass! But then im in Axefx Ultra bliss... Its all relative to me...
                    I once thought that a DOD pedal sounded awesome! LOL Your ears improve with your pocketbook. Seems the front runners today are AxeFx/ 11 Rack / and the new POD HD 500

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      I have a mint RP-`12 sittin here right now...plugged it in about 4 months ago... Sounded like Canned Ass! But then im in Axefx Ultra bliss... Its all relative to me...
                      I once thought that a DOD pedal sounded awesome! LOL Your ears improve with your pocketbook. Seems the front runners today are AxeFx/ 11 Rack / and the new POD HD 500

There is no comparison between the RP12 and the RP21D. Thats like comparing the Boss GT-3 to the GT-8 or comparing the POD 2.0 to the POD X3.
                      Regarding your statement that your ears improve with your pocketbook. You have ..lol.. typed before your statement so I assume you are joking on that one. At least I hope you are.
                      Either that or that AXE FX rig has really gone to your head!!
                      I propose an interesting shootout...
                      Lets pick a specific amp tone and even a specific song if you want. We should include both a little rhythm section for some chord chugging and a little solo section. You record your AXE FX and I will record my $75.00 RP21D and lets see if your rig makes my old school el cheapo beat to shit processor sound like canned ass.
                      I will record straight into my computer using the computer sound recorder. You can do anything you want. You can even go to a studio if you want.
                      It would be a cool shootout. You could even pick the genre, the song, anything you want.
                      I'm easy.

Comment

Had a Digitech RP-10 back in the day when they first came out and then a GSP2112 after that. Loved the studio-esque gawd-tones but got tired of lugging the "mini-fridge" rack around everywhere. I also hated the momentary drop out between patches when switching with the old S Disk processors. So, I simplified my rig when modeling hit the market. Been a Line6 amp man ever since and haven't looked back.

LJ
                        "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

Comment

Working...
                        X