No announcement yet.

Anyone using a rack mount tube preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought back then, all guitarplayers used one of these...

damn pic is famous all over the internet now

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
      i always thought back then, all guitarplayers used one of these...

Damn pic is famous all over the internet now

classic !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
        I remember back in the 90's in Ohio, seeing one of those Jackson pre's with the "Shred" channel. How about one of those?
        If I remember right, they weren't a very popular item. (very expensive and unreliable) So I doubt theres many used ones floating around. Interesting that you mention it though.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
          I remember back in the 90's in Ohio, seeing one of those Jackson pre's with the "Shred" channel. How about one of those?
          I had one of these and was thoroughly unimpressed with the tone. It had cool features for a preamp though, 2 distorted channels (one of them the shred) and a clean one. And it had a stereo effects loop which you don't see very often. It just didn't sound very good and I played around with it, swapping around the preamp tubes trying to coax a good tone from it but was only mediocre. The Rocktron voodu sounded much better.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I use a Jackson JX-3 stereo preamp and it does a great job IMO.
            80's hair OD is the best way to describe it My rack amp is a SS Randall RRM 120 and the Jackson OD works really well with it.
            I do use a Rocktron maxE for added EQ for the OD.The exciter in the maxE adds a little fullness as well.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I use a JMP-1 and a Mesa Rec Pre. I like the JMP one better. it just works. you have to front load the hell out of it for my tastes, but damn its nice when you do.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                I use a JMP-1 and a Mesa Rec Pre. I like the JMP one better. it just works. you have to front load the hell out of it for my tastes, but damn its nice when you do.

that's a beautiful rack! (lol)

here's mine!
                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Nice rack as well. (I always feel odd saying that to a guy.)

I have always wanted to try the Soldano SP-77 preamp. anyone ever use them???

Comment

I'm still using a Digitech 2120. Replace the tubes with a high gain jj 12ax7 and an Eh 12ax7, gain for days. Effects are transparent and lush. Once you learn how to tweak it you can dial anything you want. I run mine with a rare mosvalve 1500 poweramp and sound incredible in stereo. Mentioned in prior post, the 2101 is just as good but harder to learn. Still by far one of the best preamps ever. Just change the freaking tubes! I modeled a Fortin Meathead with it and it's crazy how close I came. Well I did actually, when I was done playing. Lol

Comment

Sp-77 is great too. Slo od ciruit and killer clean.

Comment

that big black box in my rack is a SP-77 series 2

modded by Bruce Egnater to have an extra gain stage and a master volume on the back

badass Neal Schon tone every time
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

sounds cool. I think that a SP77will be on my radar. maybe I will try to see if I got some stuff around here I can sell to generate some fun cash to buy one.

Comment

These are my 3 favorite amps of all time (paired with a Boogie 2:90):
                            Bogner Fish - it's just fucking awesome
                            Brunetti Mille - it too is just fucking awesome
                            CAE 3+SE - surprise! it's fucking awesome

I had so many different preamps over time: SP-77, Triple Giant, VHT, JMP, Jackson, and many more. None of them are even close to sounding as good as those three. If I were ever going to get back into using tube amps I would definitely get one of those three again.

I never got to try a Soldano/Caswell - those are supposed to be killer too.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

MP-1 user here. I've also had a 2101, which is basically the MP-1 with a dual-disc effects processor (designed by the main ADA designer as I understand it).
                              The 2101 does allow awesome effects modding, such as adding several EQs to a chain. Doing that I was able to model the sounds I get from my MP-1 and Digitech TSR-12 combo exactly.

The MP-1 by itself isn't very versatile tonewise in my opinion, and really shines if you want to use external EQ for tone-shaping. It also lends itself to post-production techniques since it has such an "uncluttered" tone.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X