Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about a half stack????......which one????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a half stack????......which one????

Hey Dudes whats going on? I have my Peavey Bandit from the 90's "Teal Stripe" that I WILL NEVER SELL! to me its one of the BEST S/S Amps Ever Built! Anyway so I dont go Nuts trying to figure out & have to test a Zillion of them....what Cab & Head could you recommend for a first time buyer of one? Take into consideration that I am into M-E-T-A-L 1000%!!!! the more Distortion the better! What brand/s out there produce some Killer Distortion for what Im looking for? Peavey-Marshall-Crate possibly an older G130c XL?? From what I remember this is a Killer Head!-Line 6.....I have heard Good & Bad-Behringer-Raven RG100H and RG412 ????? I know a few Dudes who have a Marshall MG412B Cab that I can pick up @ a decent price? I have heard the usual "Like's & Dislike's about this Cab. Im not looking to spend a Boatload of cash either. I would like to but only so much is in the budget. I see them all day long E-Bay-Craigslist (I know-I know) & some friends (Certain Models The Cab anyway for around $180-$200) Just looking to be able (Hopefully) to find my first Stack with atleast some Killer Sounds im looking for from it. I know alot of you Dudes have checked out & played on alot of Heads/Cabs Etc & basically seen it all! (Well just about!) Any help would be greatly appreciated...Take It Easy & Thanks! for any help......A/Dude
    Last edited by axe dude; 01-14-2011, 12:40 AM.
    *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
    *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
    *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
    Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
    *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
    *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
    *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
    *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

DSL100 1/2 stack has been with me since 1998. It just gets better with age.

Comment

1000% metal?

Then I guess you don't need a (good) clean tone

On a budget I would say a 2nd hand 5150
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

What is you're budget? Are you looking to stay SS? or tube? I'm not a fan of Behringer, or the MG series stuff. I have a Peavey Ultra Plus (tube) that is kick ass. A Crate Blue Voodoo (tube) that kicks ass in other ways. A Crate GX900H Excalibur (SS) that is the best SS clean for pushing pedals through IMO. Now I'm messing with my Randall RM100 (Modular tube) that's looking to be very expensive. For SS and pure metal, I'd look at randall for the amps distortion, or a Crate GX for using pedals. Tube, depends on your budget but yeah, a 5150 (even the 212 combo) is kickass. DSL's too. Sounds like you'll probably push it with an OD pedal too (for all out gain) so keep that in mind for the budget...
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Recto FTW, ENGL Fireball 60 (Used), 5150 (Used).

Can't go wrong with a mesa... IMO a good head is the MOST important contribution to your tone (aside from ability obv)
          Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

Bogner Uberschall.......

Comment

6505/5150 half stack. You can't go wrong. And they can be bought for cheap on the used market. Even new, I think they are affordable for what they offer. Also, a very reliable amp.
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I like them, the uberschall that is, but imo they need some help for leads, they're so bassy.... king of chuga chuga rhythm muahahaha, overall extremely over priced for what you get and what they do.
                Last edited by Gibsonmac; 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                  6505/5150 half stack. You can't go wrong. And they can be bought for cheap on the used market. Even new, I think they are affordable for what they offer. Also, a very reliable amp.
                  Very true, These are definitely a best bang for your buck rigs... Very tight sounding for the money, and if you find a decent used one, you will never lose money on it. Definitely consider, its a workhorse and a half as far as being able to take abuse.

Comment

Sorry for the triple post, but I gotta add... a crate blue voodoo cab is a hella good deal, a set of celestion v30's for under 400 on the bay, as compared to 800+ for the same thing with Marshall, Mesa, or ENGL written on the front.... STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM MG CABS, all of the 'little' marshall cabs are little more than toys for middle school kids trying to play rockstar in their garage. Marshall cabs in general are cheaply made now days, and are over priced for what you get.

If budget is at all a concern, 5150/6505 (both peaveys, both the same thing, 5105 was from when evh was endorsed by peavey, when he left the company they renamed it 6505) you will not find a better stack for the money.

If budget is not so much a concern, ENGL is kinda the cool new hotness, looking at 1500 used for the head alone (powerball 100), a little cheaper for a fireball 100 or 60, but in that same ballpark. Bogner is more a boutique thing == super expensive, not even close to a bargan. Marshall DSL100 is tried and true, but you don't get a master volume, so you're stuck with super loud all the time to get decent tone, the DSL50 has a master volume, and those run 500-800 used.

Then you have the staple MESA Rectifiers, Single, Dual, and Triple, the single is 50watt, then 100 and 150 respectively. Of those I'd recommend the Dual, its the most practical, you get a master volume, and a second master 'solo' volume that is global for all the channels, and solid metal tone that is also extremely versatile. the single is a watered down version of the other two, more that just the wattage, it loses the 'solo' master and is only 2 channels, where the other rectos have 3 (recent ones anyway), also you lose the optional tube and diode rectification, which lets face it, is what makes the mesa rectos what they are, also you loose the variable variac "bold or spongy" bass response. And the Triple is just overkill for 99% of people, the caveat to that is if you play super clean tone and need the head room. All the rectos have different gain stages and on each channel, its a super versatile all tube high gain amp that you can dial in many different tones and sounds with very little effort, I might be a little biased, but I have played and owned all of the 'go-to' heads except engl stuff, so if you have any questions PM me and I'll do the best I can to give you a hand.

This is my humble opinion... Mesa if you have the cash, looking at 800-1300 used, Peavey 5150/6505 otherwise, both killer amps, American made high gain tone (gotta have it) either way you will be happy!

Comment

Let me see if I can help you out...
                      If you don't play live... don't bother with a half stack. Its not necessary.
                      Now... you have 2 questions to answer...
                      #1. How much do you want to spend?
                      #2. SS or Tube?

For SS I would look at Randall and Laney for heads. Marshall makes some decent SS heads too.
                      For Tube I would look at a used Peavey 5150, 5150II, Marshall DSL50 or 100 or TSL50 or 100.
                      The Carvin MTS3200 head will take you where you want to go too. So will a Peavey Ultra.
                      Regarding cabinets, I would look at used Carvin, Peavey, Marshall, Randall or Laney.
                      Get a 4 x 12 slant cab. For speakers, look at Vintage 30's or T75's.

Comment

One thing to consider (since I can understand where you are coming from with your original post)

A Peavey 5150 head and cab is the pure definition of affordable METAL. No pedals required. And.. btw.. the clean channel is totally useable and sounds great unless you are looking for lush Dire Straits type clean tone!
                        If you have more money to spend then look at a Mesa Single Rectifier head and a good 4 x 12 cab.
                        Again.. this amp is the pure definition of semi-affordable METAL. No pedals required.

With either of these combinations you will rule the stage in most instances. Your tone will be crushing and you will have more gain on tap than any human could possibly need.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonmac View Post
                          Marshall DSL100 is tried and true, but you don't get a master volume, so you're stuck with super loud all the time to get decent tone, the DSL50 has a master volume, and those run 500-800 used.
                          Little correction here, the DSL50 (I own one) is the 50 watts version of the DSL100 and doesn't have a master volume.

Gibsonmac is also offering a good suggestion with the DSL serie. It's tried and true. Can go in metal territory when crancked (the amps love to be crancked!) and pushing them with your favorite overdrive will give you that metal edge. And what I like about the DSL serie is that you get all the other sounds in between, clean, crunch and full gain.

BTW, lotsa love for the 5150/6505 here. I like it

Don't they make a nice pair?
                          Last edited by BenoA; 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM.
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                            Little correction here, the DSL50 (I own one) is the 50 watts version of the DSL100 and doesn't have a master volume.

Gibsonmac is also offering a good suggestion with the DSL serie. It's tried and true. Can go in metal territory when crancked (the amps love to be crancked!) and pushing them with your favorite overdrive will give you that metal edge. And what I like about the DSL serie is that you get all the other sounds in between, clean, crunch and full gain.

BTW, lotsa love for the 5150/6505 here. I like it

Don't they make a nice pair?

Word I was thinking of the TSL60, but yeah I agree, most bang for the buck is the Peavey hands down... IMO the MESA is the most versatile just because you can run EL34 or 6L6 tubes, plus all the power and gainstage manipulation, and its a self biasing amp so you can change your own tubes, true plug and play. And The Marshall falls just in between the the two as far as price/versatility/etc. I use to own a TSL100 stack, and my other guitarist has still the DSL100, so I feel I am making a fair judgment based on my own experience.

Just comes down to how much cash you want to spend, best thing to do is to play them and decide which fits you better and your style. they are all gonna have subtle differences.

BenoA, nice rig btw...

Comment

Hey Dudes I can't Thank You All Enough for all of your Input & Info!....it is greatly appreciated!!! I will take it all into consideration when I figure out what im going to end up going with! Im also very interested in the older Crate G130C-XL Head. I remember this Head from back in the day (Played it) & it Kicks Some Major Ass! (Have a line on one & it's priced VERY LOW! & works like new!) So whatever I end up with im sure it will have the Killer Distortion that Im looking for! You All Take It Easy!!!!!!! Steve
                              Last edited by axe dude; 01-14-2011, 10:56 PM.
                              *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
                              *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
                              *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
                              Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
                              *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
                              *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
                              *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
                              *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X