No announcement yet.

Anyone try the Jet City Pico Valve amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Jet City Pico Valve amp?

Considering it as a 'low-watt tube' amp. Please chime in if you have any experience with it.
    Thanks in advance!

ugh. it was horrible. i thought it would be awesome. maybe with different tubes it could have been ok, but i was not impressed with any of the tones available. i am not a super hi-gain freak either; i enjoy medium and low gain amps, but the gain coming out of this amp reminded me of a cheap-o sears amp i had as a kid. it was boxy sounding, and uninspiring.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      ugh. it was horrible. i thought it would be awesome. maybe with different tubes it could have been ok, but i was not impressed with any of the tones available.
      Thanks, but do you know what tubes were in it?

Comment

it had a 6L6 power tube, and 12AX7 preamp tubes. FWIW, i ended up buying an egnater tweaker that day. for a low watt amp it has been killer. tones of tones in that little head - can't swap tubes like the pico valve, but it is versatile. it only cost $100 more than the pic valve, too.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks MarkD. I've played Egnaters in the past. Didn't know they made a low-watt tube amp. Will check it out.

Comment

I don't like it. It's very squishy. It's not tight at all. Their 20 watt amp is great or, you could try the Marshall Class 5.

Comment

I have a pico and its not bad with the 6L6 but much better with a KT88.
              12AT7 pre amp tubes give it better cleans than the 12AX7's that came in it.
              Great tones on the 2 watt setting too.
              I run it thru an 8 ohm 4X12 cab not squishy at all.Takes pedals well and sounds great with a BBE sonic stomp,EH memory boy and OCD for more drive.
              Not an amp to end all but pretty good quality for a low buck low watt amp.
              I paid under $200.00 new.
              Last edited by straycat; 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Haven't tried that one. Tons of low, super-low watters out there now, although not all are cheap.

VHT Special 6 Ultra might be one to compare it to for relatively low money.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

IO'm kind of intrigued by the new Dark Terror, the tiny terror I tried sounded killer through a mesa 2x12

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Those little Blackstar HT-1s are cool!

Comment

I didn't dig the Pico at all. Not very much fun for a hard rock guy. Only sounds decent (to me) really loud, and even then, I didn't really care for it. No loop either, so it's useless to me.

I LOVE my Friedman modded JCA20 head though. That little sucker kills, and is loud as hell on about 2.

Comment

There's a thread here on one under the title "dead amp" : http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/119779-Dead-amp I just picked up a JCA20 head and it's pretty cool. Chris, what what is the Friedman mod and how much?
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                          There's a thread here on one under the title "dead amp" : http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/119779-Dead-amp I just picked up a JCA20 head and it's pretty cool. Chris, what what is the Friedman mod and how much?
                          Go to Jet City's website: http://www.jetcityamplification.com/...state-fx-loop/

I can't tell you how much it rocks. Give you the Brown Eye, Saturation Switch, and solid state loop. It turns it into a little monster.

Comment

BTW...I played it tonight after playing my Mesa Mk IV. That little sucker HOLDS ITS OWN with some heavy hitters. I LOVE it!!

Comment

I am on the opposite side regarding the PicoValve. I think its a great sounding head (at least the 2 that I've played). I have a THD Flexi-50 and I totally felt heard the THD vibe in the PV. Great amp for $250 in my opinion.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
                              X