Marshall JCM 800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 800

Looking to get a new half-stack. I currently play on a Marshall Mode four. Really want to get more of a tubey crunch.

I have a chance to grab a newer JCM-800 half stack for $1,000. I was really trying to get my hands on an older one from the 80's, but this deal kind of fell in my lap.

What are your thoughts on the newer JCM-800's compared to the older ones? Is $1,000 a good deal on a newer JCM head and Cab?

Just keep in mind it will not be a "Gain beast' without a good boost in front of it
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

$1000 for a 800 half stack IS a good deal. NB is right though, youll either need a boost or mods to get in to saturation territory.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I cant answer as to the newer JCMs, as I havent spent much time with one, but I can give you some info about the older ones.

POWER !! VOLUME !!! MORE POWER & VOLUME !!!!

The older JCMs are brutal in the volume department. Ive owned 50 and 100 watt versions, and the 100s ((model 2203)) were simply over the top. Sound men would throw things at me as soon as I powered up for sound check. Yea, they are that brutal.

They do lack for tone variation and saturation though. The newer ones have an effects loop, so that will help alot when shaping your own tones, but you will need a preamp of some type to push the amps preamp section over the top. I used a 7 band eq with the mids pushed all the way up (think reversed scoop) as a preamp and it did a good enough job for me. Though Im sure you will want to experiment with your own toys and tones.

FYI, I dont recommend you get your new JCM "modded" .. as every one Ive ever heard that was modded sounded terribly "tinny". Trading tone for gain never sat well with me, but, thats just my opinion.

The older amps rock, thats for sure. Just remember that they are basically a "one trick pony" .. though they are the masters of that one trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Brozz View Post
          I cant answer as to the newer JCMs, as I havent spent much time with one, but I can give you some info about the older ones.

POWER !! VOLUME !!! MORE POWER & VOLUME !!!!

The older JCMs are brutal in the volume department. Ive owned 50 and 100 watt versions, and the 100s ((model 2203)) were simply over the top. Sound men would throw things at me as soon as I powered up for sound check. Yea, they are that brutal.

They do lack for tone variation and saturation though. The newer ones have an effects loop, so that will help alot when shaping your own tones, but you will need a preamp of some type to push the amps preamp section over the top. I used a 7 band eq with the mids pushed all the way up (think reversed scoop) as a preamp and it did a good enough job for me. Though Im sure you will want to experiment with your own toys and tones.

FYI, I dont recommend you get your new JCM "modded" .. as every one Ive ever heard that was modded sounded terribly "tinny". Trading tone for gain never sat well with me, but, thats just my opinion.

The older amps rock, thats for sure. Just remember that they are basically a "one trick pony" .. though they are the masters of that one trick.
          i disagree,.....check out Mike Fortin and the cali mods...
          i have a friend with one...and its Pure marshall Pleasure...
          i've had 2 800's, the best ones are the older ones and the (first run) reissues...with no loop.
          one of mine was an 85, the other a 97.
          when you boost one with a pedal or run preamps you loose tone and get hella feedback....

I say Buy a 800 and send it to Mike...http://fortinamps.com/
          hes really busy right now tho.
          Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 01-17-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Also if your looking for a beast modded marshall jcm800 sound...
            look for a Bogner uberschall....i have one of those as well....there brutal...with no feedback...i just plug and play...its great

Comment

well, now I have a chance at a 1981 JCM 800 with Cab. But he doesn't know what kind of tubes are in it. If they are 6550's its a steal, but even a great deal with el34's. It looks to be in great shape too. $1,200 local seems like a pretty damn good deal to me. It's a 2204, 50 watt head.

What do y'all think? Should I grab it?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                ...when you boost one with a pedal or run preamps you loose tone and get hella feedback....
                You dont lose tone when boosting or preamping a JCM, if that were the case, 99% of the guitarists throughout the 80s and 90s would have had no tone.

As fas as hella feedback .... Not to sound condescending, but this is where knowing how to control your gear comes into play.

If it were my dollars, Id pass on the Marshall JCM all together. These days there are amps that far superior in both tone and reliability in the same price range.
                But again, thats just my opinion.

Comment

What amps would you recommend in the $1,200 range?

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
                    What amps would you recommend in the $1,200 range?
                    Thats a very personal choice. Some people (like myself) prefer rack setups, others prefer Mesa, Peavey, Bogner, etc etc.
                    Im not anti Marshall by any means, Ive owned many, and really liked a few of them. So if you are into Marshall, dont be swayed by what I think. What works for one player doesnt always work for everyone.

Best bet is to take your guitar down to the store, plug in and put your perspective new amp through its paces. Then you'll know for sure if you want to take it home.
                    Last edited by Brozz; 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I am looking for something that will give a great gain tone, and also hold it's value. I like the idea of grabbing a 1981 Marshall. I've heard good things about the Mesa's but they are pretty pricey though.

Comment

DSL100.

'nuff said.

Comment

Bogner,
                          Except his budget is $1200
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Best bet is to take your guitar down to the store, plug in and put your perspective new amp through its paces. Then you'll know for sure if you want to take it home.
                            +1000 If theyll let you take it to a back room or something to really crank it, do so. I cant count how many amps Ive bought that sounded good in the store at low volume and then sound like crap at rehearsals.

Comment

Originally posted by donp View Post
                              dsl100.

'nuff said.
                              +1 dsl/tsl 100

Comment

Working...
                              X