X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
    +1 dsl/tsl 100
    +1 here

For many years literally since 80s I kept my '81 JCM800. But after getting the TSL it saw less and less use. The TSL does do the JCM800 sound very well. A few years ago I let the JCM800 go.

Comment

I've had the same 2203 since 90' and IMO it's simply a great platform as a foundation to your sound. As stated earlier it is a medium gain amp (think 70's AC/DC) but it has an amazing voice, the pedal you choose will be a big part of your sound. Tired of your tone? Get a new pedal. There is a reason a jcm800 is used in most big studios. I use a JVM in my cover band because of it's versitility but in my original bands it's always the 800 with my pedal board. There is another trick with the 800 I do when I need a good clean sound. I'll use a high gain pedal in the low input, when the pedal is off it is very clean. There is also a TON of headroom when you go in the low input so it is easy to use a volume boost for leads. I hope you get to try some amps out before you buy.
      Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I got frustrated with it and just bought a LP Standard, lol

But I will be looking for a 2203 in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
          I've had the same 2203 since 90' and IMO it's simply a great platform as a foundation to your sound. As stated earlier it is a medium gain amp (think 70's AC/DC) but it has an amazing voice, the pedal you choose will be a big part of your sound. Tired of your tone? Get a new pedal. There is a reason a jcm800 is used in most big studios. I use a JVM in my cover band because of it's versitility but in my original bands it's always the 800 with my pedal board. There is another trick with the 800 I do when I need a good clean sound. I'll use a high gain pedal in the low input, when the pedal is off it is very clean. There is also a TON of headroom when you go in the low input so it is easy to use a volume boost for leads. I hope you get to try some amps out before you buy.
          I'm sort of the same way but on a tighter budget than that.

Instead of the JVM I use the DSL100 (had it since 1998 and don't see a reason to change)
          Instead of the JCM800 I have a Laney AOR 50

The DSL100 has the clean and high gain (high enough for me without a pedal).
          The AOR 50 covers the JCM800 tones nicely without the boost on. The boost is an extra tube already added (no need to add one like Ron had to), but I haven't gotten used to the tone.
          With these three "tones" I feel I can cover about anything needed.

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
            well, now I have a chance at a 1981 JCM 800 with Cab. But he doesn't know what kind of tubes are in it. If they are 6550's its a steal, but even a great deal with el34's. It looks to be in great shape too. $1,200 local seems like a pretty damn good deal to me. It's a 2204, 50 watt head.

What do y'all think? Should I grab it?

can you play it? This sounds promisig but keep in mind amps of this age will need some caps replaced but no big deal really
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I actually passed on it, and bought the Les Paul instead. I'm not sure what kind of amp I want, so I went ahead and added another axe to the collection.

Comment

It's not hard swapping EL34s out and running 6550s. My 1979 was pushing 120 watts clean with a set of 6550s.

Comment

I just bought a peavey JSX 120, and love it. I had been using a JCM 900 50w head and JCM 50w combo 1X12. I like the JSX tunes of power and I am able to get a nice close to marshall tone, and the unit likes effects. Very heavy and well made. you can get the heads for 650 and below, just add your choice of cab. I am using an old 1960A Marshall 4x12 slant and the orhter cab i use is a crate straight with celestions 4x12.

Comment

I'll stir the pot and say Laney AOR. These were hotrodded Marshall JCM 800 clones, anyway. No need to push with a boost pedal, cause it's already built in from the factory AND they can be had for $400-500, easily. BUT, just one look at my Avatar will tell you I am biased toward them, anyway.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I picked up an older model Randall T2 head for 300 dollars at a pawn shop, been seeing them online fairy cheap now. Decent cleans and good high gain tones. Very easy to dial in. Also its loud as hell, not a bedroom amp at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                        I'll stir the pot and say Laney AOR. These were hotrodded Marshall JCM 800 clones, anyway. No need to push with a boost pedal, cause it's already built in from the factory AND they can be had for $400-500, easily. BUT, just one look at my Avatar will tell you I am biased toward them, anyway.
                        The AOR eats JCM800s alive.

Its what a JCM 800 always strived to be but never lived up to.

That tears it, I'm getting another one!
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

The problem with Laney, at least here in the USA, is that their parts/service have been non existant for a long time. A friend of mine is a tech and has been waiting on an output transformer for one for nearly two years! Still couldn't get one so the customer finally agreed to go with Mercury Magnetics. The Mercury Magnetics is a great piece but a lot more money than what Laney was using. Laney claimed at NAMM that they have thier parts supply thing straightened out. If so, thats great. If not, I'd stick with Marshall or others that you can easily find parts for.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

doesn't look like I'll be getting another AOR for a little bit anyways.

I just finalized a deal for an SLO. Sure, that was large budget increase... whatever...
                            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                              doesn't look like I'll be getting another AOR for a little bit anyways.

I just finalized a deal for an SLO. Sure, that was large budget increase... whatever...
                              A Soldano SLO? Cool, thats one of the best amps out there One one my amps is a SLO in snakeskin and its just an incredible sounding amp. Congrats on picking one up. Got any pix? What color did you get?
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                                A Soldano SLO? Cool, thats one of the best amps out there One one my amps is a SLO in snakeskin and its just an incredible sounding amp. Congrats on picking one up. Got any pix? What color did you get?
                                I just got a black one, being a "starving student" I simply don't have the money to spare on looks...

I think its the best I've ever sounded. When I first plugged in, it was like insta-Demartini. Though it helps that I am just a cheap knockoff of him and Neal Schon... lol
                                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                                X