No announcement yet.

Marshall AFD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add to what Rudy said, I've heard a lot of them in stores where they are traded in with old shit tubes, or are hooked up to a crappy cabinet. I'm running a 1960 with G12T-75's and the stock Svetlana Winged C's (not the new Svetlana's that aren't made in the old factory). If you bought it used it may need a tune up.

I'm sometimes tempted to add a choke or othe upgrades, but I really love the tone of mine as-is, so I don't mess with it. I have the RM100 for messing with.

Comment

Thanks Rudy and Don for the valuable info on the DSL 2000. I believe the tubes are new but will have my amp doctor check it out next time he is in the States.

It doesn't sound terrible, just not as I feel it "should" sound. BTW, I'm running it through an old school ugly ass carpeted Jackson 4x12. The amp sounds great with other heads but maybe the 2000 needs a 1960a, 800 or 900 cab?

Comment

Originally posted by Amerturk View Post
        Thanks Rudy and Don for the valuable info on the DSL 2000. I believe the tubes are new but will have my amp doctor check it out next time he is in the States.

It doesn't sound terrible, just not as I feel it "should" sound. BTW, I'm running it through an old school ugly ass carpeted Jackson 4x12. The amp sounds great with other heads but maybe the 2000 needs a 1960a, 800 or 900 cab?
        Depends what speakers are in that cab you have. It doesn't have to be a Marshall cab. I was running mine through a Marshall 4x12 with the stock Celestion 75w speakers but we've also run my friend's through a Laney cab and others. Sounds good through them all. He recently had a JCM 2000 in his shop that had new tubes and sounded O.K. but not spectacular. One of the things he checked on it was the bias and sure enough it had drifted. So if your tubes are ok you might want to just double check the bias on your amp. Oh yeah, the Mercury Magnetics are not a necessary upgrade you should be able to get good tone out of it even with the stock transformers and choke
        BTW, I found this little video on You Tube, a Charvel into a DSL 50. Sounds good to me:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Rx_GwbbKk
        Last edited by roodyrocker; 03-01-2013, 10:16 PM.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Thanks dude!

Comment

It sounds like a pretty cool amp. The JCM Slash I owned years ago sounded like shit, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Hey Ace this is totally off topic but if you get a chance and remember, can you ask Todd Kerns what gear he used to record Untitled with Age of Electric. I love the tone on that song.
              He is pretty easy to find on Facebook, I'm pretty sure he would answer your question personally. And the cool thing about the AFD heads is the autobiasing feature. That is what really sets it apart from the other Marshall heads.

Comment

Hey Ace, are you back in LA?
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes, for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                  X