Peavey "XXX" head.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey "XXX" head.

What are the pros and cons of this head, I may have one lined up.

They're a good head. Depends on how much you're getting it for.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

$350-ish

Comment

We have one at the studio. Super high gain and not bad tone, but very feedbacky.
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

The thing I didn't like about the one I tried at SamAss when I was looking is that the crunch and ultra channels are the exactly the same. There really was no classic sounding channel. And the gain knob was useless, didn't seem to change the amount of gain at all. Either a kinda crappy clean, or all out gain. I went with the Ultra Plus. 3 very usable channels.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

its funny that the Ultra and Ultra Plus rock so much harder (as in are better) than the XXX

the XXX is just supposed to be the modern version of the Ultra
            Out Of Ideas

Comment

XXX II is coming out. Supposed to be a better JSX . Technically its a JSX with tweaked preamp. Just read it and heard some clips from NAMM on youtube. Otherwise Id get the 3120 which is a better XXX.

Comment

I Have NO Idea WHY They would come out with the XXX 2 amp! The 3120 replaced it! and it STILL Has 4 12ax7's! They couldve revamped the "Ultra"series and called it that! Ohh well. The ORIGINAL XXX is a Good amp. High Gain(If you are into that). For $350 if you fell out of love for it You could flip it for the same price!
                HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
                Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
                Boss TU-2
                2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
                1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
                1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

I have a friend that uses his with a Mesa cab and it sounds damn good. and another that uses one with a marshall cab and he has a great tone too.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I Have NO Idea WHY They would come out with the XXX 2 amp! The 3120 replaced it! and it STILL Has 4 12ax7's! They couldve revamped the "Ultra"series and called it that! Ohh well.
                    Joe Satriani has parted ways with Peavey, so they're essentially doing what they did with the 5150 (changing it to the 6505 with minimal changes) and renaming the JSX to the Triple XXX 2. The 3120 will remain the replacement for the original Triple XXX.

The ORIGINAL XXX is a Good amp. High Gain(If you are into that). For $350 if you fell out of love for it You could flip it for the same price!
                    My brother, who I'm in a band with, has one and it can sound good when someone spends a little time EQing it. It does feed back more easily than any amp I've ever played, but is capable of some really good, heavy tones.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow. I never knew Joe left peavey. I have a 2010 catalog and he is in there. You learn something new everyday! I have been on there website and u know I never paid attention to see if the jsx was there. As for the tonality of these amps they are great. Like u said u need some time dialing. They are active tone controls so alittle goes along way. They are nice and gainy! But from
                      what I hear modded xxx's are killer!
                      Last edited by Dan; 01-24-2011, 11:32 PM.
                      HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
                      Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                      (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                      Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
                      Boss TU-2
                      2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
                      1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
                      1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

I had one for a while and it sounded very good with any of my cabs, but it sounded best with the matching XXX cab. Nice clean for a high gainer and for the price your getting it for, you can't really lose to try it.

Comment

This is one of those "Tube sensative" heads.. I've heard this head with 4 or 5 different brands/models of tubes and it sounded best with Ruby's.. My biggest complaint with the XXX is no reverb in the head version..(You can get reverb in the combo-go figure) I played through the new XXX II at Namm and was NOT impressed.. It looks cool but they didn't tweak it much.. If you want pure metal then go with the 6504..
                          John 3:16

Comment

Damn, the local GC had a Marshall JCM900 4100 100WATT head for $449 and it didn't even last 24 hours,we've been doing inventory at work and I didn't get a chance to call them and have them hold it for me, I've heard bad things about them but I can coax a good sound out of most amps, good to my ears anyway and really that's all that matters.But that's the second time in a month I missed out on a Marshall tube head.
                            So I'm still thinking I'll go with a "XXX".

Comment

Working...
                            X