Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same effects, different tones?

Hey!

For example, Paul Gilbert and Steve Lukather are two completely different players. The only thing that they have in common is that they both can play very very fast. Paul does it more often than Luke, and they both have different tones.

But both of them uses the same effects, well not exactly the same effects units, but they both use distortion,overdrive,chorus,flanger,phaser,reverb, delay,wah, and what not.

So finally my question is: if i buy all the effects that i think sound good and that i'd like to use, will i be able to reach or atleast come very close to two completely guitar tones by having the determinant factors of the tone, or will i need exactly the same effects pedal for for example some players flanger or chorus?

In a nutshell, yes, you can use a decent effect pedal to get an approximation of different types of sounds.

BUT;

Some players have very unique effects that you will need if you want to try to replicate their tones (emphasis on try). For example, think mode 2 on the PG airplane flanger or the black label chorus. However there are many variables in a players tone and some say tone is in the hands (hence the try).

I can understand that some people like to get on stage and play cover tunes and use the effects in the recorded version of the song (myself included) but IMHO it's a better idea to sound like yourself, even when playing somebody elses' song.

If you don't own the effects you would like to try out, I would say get a multi fx processor like the pod or boss gt series and experiment with different effects and settings. You'll soon discover what works for you and what doesn't.
    Last edited by levantin; 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
      In a nutshell, yes, you can use a decent effect pedal to get an approximation of different types of sounds.

BUT;

Some players have very unique effects that you will need if you want to try to replicate their tones (emphasis on try). For example, think mode 2 on the PG airplane flanger or the black label chorus. However there are many variables in a players tone and some say tone is in the hands (hence the try).

I can understand that some people like to get on stage and play cover tunes and use the effects in the recorded version of the song (myself included) but IMHO it's a better idea to sound like yourself, even when playing somebody elses' song.

If you don't own the effects you would like to try out, I would say get a multi fx processor like the pod or boss gt series and experiment with different effects and settings. You'll soon discover what works for you and what doesn't.
      i do have a multi fx processor, it's a zoom 9050 from the mid 90's. it does the reverb and the chorus good, the delay not that good. the amp simulators suck and the EQ does pretty much too. but yeah, so what you mean is that maybe the airplane flanger is like hard to copy with another fx processor or pedal so i'd buy that one to do the stuff paul does with it? and maybe if the reverb a certain player uses and i use my zoom 9050 reverb for it and i will be pleased, i'll just keep that?

i always try to sound like myself, but its fun to play through other ppl's gear

Comment

Working...
      X