Peavey Ultra Vs. Ultra Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra Vs. Ultra Plus

Im floored with the ultra channel on my Bravo and its got me curious about the Ultra heads.

Whats the difference between the Ultra and the plus? Do they both have the super high gain switch like my Bravo does? Got to have that switch, the tone is different in normal mode as opposed to the super high gain mode.
    If anybody has the Ultra 60w version, is it loud enough for rehearsals?

The Bravo is 25w and just barely too quiet for rehearsal, so I would guess the 60w Ultra head would be plenty.

I have a lead on a Ultra 60w head for $150 I may be interested in.

Thanks.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

I've never played an Ultra but opinions are about 50/50 on which is better. From clips I've heard I like the Ultra+ better, that's why I bought one and I love it. I'm selling it as I have my RM100 now but the tone is great. The reason I bought it over the XXX is because the crunch and ultra channels do have different tones. Crunch is classic up to high gain crunchy. Ultra is a bit more modern sounding and can be brutal. XXX has the same exact sound from both and the gain knob is useless. And the JSX was the same plus way too middy for me. My + has a really good clean too. I'm selling my Ultra+ for double that price and if it's in good shape, I'd jump on it. 60W should be good enough for midsize clubs at least. I don't think I turned my 120 past 3 in my house. And BTW - mine responded great to high gain JJ's, and an EQ in the loop...
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I dont think Id need an EQ in the loop. The tone I like is right in the middle of the range of the Bravo. The mid freq. is just in the right range. The only thing about the 60w head Im looking at is its the non plus model, but its cosmetically very similar to my Bravo, so maybe it will sound similar to the Ultra channel on my Bravo.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Haven't played the ultra but the ultra+ is a killer amp. For 150, i'd probably just grab the 60 watter as a backup or whatever can't be too bad.

Comment

Love my ultra +. The clean channel is real nice for sure.
          I use the loose setting most of the time to get a spongy feel.Tight is good with the ultra channel for a more modern sound.
          The only down side is my reverb goes in and out.Not sure why so I keep it shut off and run a midiverb III for delay,chorus,reverb.
          Great amp when you have it set on half power totally overkill on 120 watts but sounds great on either.Nice to have the option of more power if you need it.
          Mine has Mesa tubes in it ATM and I have never changed them but may try something else down the road.
          Well worth the $250.00 I have in it.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
          X