No announcement yet.

Which speaker to pair with Greenbacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speaker to pair with Greenbacks?

I've been using my 4x12 front-loaded Greenback cab for years now, and I thought I'd try a change maybe.
    Actually I'm more the high-gain type of player, mostly tuned to D and especially in a live-situation I don't cut through very well.
    I once owned an ENGL-cab loaded with V30s (should have kept it, I got it for THAT cheap... ) which, compared in my memory, had a whole lot of more punch to it.

But I dig the Greenback for their warmth and nice clean-sounds.

Instead of getting a new cab I thought about trying an X pattern maybe and just switching two of the speakers.
    Now which speaker would compliment the Greenbacks best?

So far the V30s are the only ones I can say I know. Played some G12t-75s as well of course, but never owned some myself. I just felt like they were too bright and harsh sounding to me, but could have been the amp just as well...

Most speakers I've seen on Ebay hold their value pretty well, so I thought I could just give it a try.

My Cab is 8 Ohms mono, so I guess thast would make the speakers 8 Ohms each?
    What would you suggest?
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

i mix EV speakers with celestions and i like my sound. the EV speaker doesn't break up so the sound stays really tight and clear.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

One of these?
      http://www.thomann.de/de/ev_evm_12l_classic_8_ohm.htm
      http://www.thomann.de/de/ev_evm_12l_...abel_8_ohm.htm
      http://www.thomann.de/de/evi_force_12.htm

How would such a high-watt speaker behave with a low watt one like my Greenbacks anyway?
      I don't need to be afraid of one 200 Watter blowing away the rest of my speakers, do I?

Comment

yes, just like those. i use the EVs in conjuntion with vintage 30's and they work well together. i wired my 4X12 "stereo" - the celestions are wired to a different jack than the EVs. i don't notice that big of a difference, just that the EVs are cleaner, tighter, and more focused than the celestions.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks a lot!
          I will keep these in mind. They are quite expensive, but I might try'em out and maybe compare them to some others. And if they're worth it, they're worth it.

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
            How would such a high-watt speaker behave with a low watt one like my Greenbacks anyway?
            I don't need to be afraid of one 200 Watter blowing away the rest of my speakers, do I?
            Speakers don't put out watts. The speaker watt rating is how much power from an amp the speaker can handle.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The majority of my cabs are Vintage Greenbacks/G12-75's. I think they sound awesome. I find EV's too clean and don't really like the mids of Vintage 30's. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Speakers don't put out watts. The speaker watt rating is how much power from an amp the speaker can handle.
                Yes, sure. But I read somewhere (meaning "here" I guess... )that tube-amps tend to produce peaks and stuff...
                The 25W of a Greenback aren't really much if you compare'em to other guitar speakers which are usually somewhere around 75W.
                Loudness isn't linear either, I just wanted to make sure different speakers won't shout away what I already have in my cab.
                I'm new to mixing speakers, that's why I ask.

I just want to give a different color to my cab, add some frequencies...

@lhrocker: You don't have some before/after clips of your cabs by chance, do you?

Comment

Definitely go with the G12T75's to mix with those Greenbacks.
                  The colder, sharper sound of the G12T75 will compliment the warmer, rounder sound of the G12M's. You'll get a magical blend that is thick, syrupy, and cuts right through the mix perfectly.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've never mixed speakers in the same cab, but I have played through a greenback cab and standard 75w cab together. It did sound good.

I've had a couple of JCM800 cabs and the 75s are pretty good sounding speakers, I'd say. But greenbacks are my fave.

Comment

Working...
                    X