Jackson Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Amps

Are the Jackson amps any good? what are they like?

Not so good, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
      Not so good, methinks.
      Youthinks wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
        Not so good, methinks.
        Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
        Youthinks wrong.
        Grrrrrrrreat discussion so far guys!

Comment

I had a JG-3 100 watt head and its was built by Laney in the UK.
          A very good sounding head very 80's flavor lots of gain.Had a mid boost too which changed the voicing some.
          Over all the only amp head that I wish I had never sold.
          Takes pedals and racks very well.Even the Marshall power brake worked great with this amp crank the amp all your tone was intact with the power brake on.
          Most amps the PB sucks all the tone out.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

This one the one I had - the 50-watt Reference Amp & Cab.

It sounded very good - it had a nice Marshall crunch to it - kind of a slightly boosted JCM-800 sound. British character for sure. It wasn't the most complex tone, but it did what it did very well. The EQ wasn't overly active, and it isn't a gain MONSTER, but you can get great 80's rock tones without boosting it.

The unfortunate part was that I bought this amp before I realized what I reall had, and certainly didn't use it to it's utmost - I was mainly running processors through the clean channel. Dumb...but that is what I was into at the time. TOTALLY scooped tones, and this amp wasn't able to do that.

This is one I wish I had back. It SMOKED the Marshall JCM-900 I had shortly after this. S-M-O-K-E-D.

Comment

I used a Jackson half stack for a few months (back in the day) while saving for a JCM800. My buddie was kind enough to loan me his (as he didnt play much). What I really remember about that amp is, well, nothing. It wasnt anything special, in any way.
              As far as I remember, it sounded alot like a "toned down" JCM.

Not saying they arent good amps, just didnt really do anything for me personally.

Comment

I had a Jackson Apogee 50 2x12 tube combo. I never really dug into it to see what types of tubes were in it. It had a good tone hard rock tone, capable of metal tones with a separate EQ (or overdrive, I suppose) but not sufficient for the death metal I'm playing. However, it was a very well-built amp. The Apogee combos were built by Chunky Amplification, whoever that was.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X