Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Randall MTS Owners (or ex-owners)... pickups??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall MTS Owners (or ex-owners)... pickups??

Did you try out different pickups through a RM100, RM4, etc. and notice a big difference in the sound? Like a very noticeable difference in smoothness? I've been playing Duncans (Custom, JB, 59's, Jazz) and Dimarzio (SD, SDS-1) and it sounded great but I played a Ibanez with EMG 81/85 and it was a very very big difference. Really smooth and clear. Like each note of a chord was heard very clearly. Through all my modules too. Cleans were better passive but not much. Maybe more compressed and focussed with the EMG's?? What's your thought?

Also, I have a single hum guitar with an 85 bridge. I'm going to do a HSS with an 81 in bridge. I have a SA and 2 S's. Which do you like better in the neck? May not even put a middle single, just bridge and neck. Going in a Soloist Pro BTW. Maple, poplar, ebony, JT590.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Blame V1
    Your first inpute tube (v1) in the amp (not modules) has quite an impact on the tone, so I'm willing to bet P'up tonal difference are emphasized more as well

Also, putting an 81 in the bridge you might want to have less 'boomy' pickups near the neck
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Do you know if the tonal difference would be more or less impacted by swapping from the 12AX7 to a 5751? I've been planning to try one out as lots of people talk about it cleaning/clearing up the amp.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ofcourse, being about 80% of what a 12ax7 delivers (but still higher than an 12at/au7's) it'll have effect on cleaning up the signal
        as for the tube's own tonal qualities except gain I can't answer, since my only 5751 died in one of my modules
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
        X