X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 cheap amp reviews...

Picked up 2 amps this weekend.
    1st Gen Line 6 Spider I 2 x 12 with the Line 6 Longboard foot controller
    No frills, barely any tweaking, no midi, no computer hook up, no software updates, no loop, no nothing. Its almost a plug in and dial in the basic controls type of amp. This is prior to all the deep editing that modelers have now.
    How does it sound? It sounds great. It only has 5 sounds. Clean, Twang, Crunch, Recto, Insane. It only has a few different delays, a chorus, flange, tremolo and reverb.
    I dialed in some great useable tones in minutes. The longboard footcontroller has a wah pedal and a volume pedal on it, 2 banks (8 channels total), a tuner and you can turn all the effects and distortion on and off when it is in manual mode. Amp also has a "hidden" boost switch, added distortion switch, noise gate and a presence control.
    100 watts, stereo. I would do a small gig with this amp. I first played through one at a local live band karaoki contest. They had it up on stage and every guitar player that that showed up played through it. They had it mic'd. Everything from lady Gaga to Iron Maiden to Alanis Morsette. I used it for a Bon Jovi Song. I was very surprised on how good it sounded. Anyway, its cheap and it sounds really good and you don't need the owners manual and a degree in physics to figure it out. I guess you could call it a "vintage" modeling amp.

Next up is a Crate XT120R. This is a 2 x 12 combo. 120 watts, 3 channel, reverb and comes with a 3 button switch. Clean channel is excellent. Crunch channel is good. Not great. Just good. Totally useable for most genres of music. The solo channel is over the top Crate Flexwave type gain. It has as enough gain for searing guitar solos with the gain on 3. There is one thing about this amp that is worth mentioning. ITS LOUD. Holy crap. This is the loudest 2 x 12 SS combo I have ever heard. The clean has so much headroom that you could break your windows in your house and it won't break up.
    This is an outstanding amp to leave at your bands rehearsal space. Its loud and can compete with any drummer. You could plug in an extention cabinet and the speakers on the amp stay on too so if you plug in a 2 x 12 cab you would be running with 4 x 12 speakers. It has one of those insert jacks in the back that you can plug a stereo 1/4" to two 1/4" mono jacks cable into so you can use it as a traditional effects loop. It also has a CD input jacks. I kind of dig the Crate Flexwave distortion circuit.
    The amp cabinet has 4 sockets on the bottom of it to plug casters into. Very cool.

Anyway, there you have it. For the budget minded guitar player these are both great choices. I bought them to flip them and flip them I will. Hearing is believing so they will be easy to flip.

Cool review.... but i say we vote to kick you off the boards for putting Alanis Morisette and Iron Maiden in the same phrase, let alone explaining that you went from playing lady gaga ... to iron maiden and then followed that with more shit and called it a night LOL. JK to each their own i guess.

PS Love the Line 6 spyder. I'd been wanting one for 4 years but never needed one. When i was posted on the west coast last year I need a cheap practice amp, so i bought the 40 watt Line 6 Spyder IV. It's roughly the same plus a few features. The 75 watts and up have all the cool stuff now. However there are a lot of amps that sound great in that price range. Fender Mustang series, Roland Cubes etc

Comment

Nice review, I've never tried either.

Fender - says....he used it for a Bon Jovi tune, others did the Gaga, etc., whatever, but it probably kept the chicks hanging around in the club.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        Nice review, I've never tried either.

Fender - says....he used it for a Bon Jovi tune, others did the Gaga, etc., whatever, but it probably kept the chicks hanging around in the club.
        Yea, all the contestants were singing all kinds of songs with a live band backing them up. This is at the club that Jon Bon Jovi's brother owns in Stamford, CT.
        Its a very nice small upscale club.
        We did the Bon Jovi song because one of Johns brothers best friends sat in with us and played 12 string acoustic. We did Dead or Alive. I was Richie Sambora.
        We lost to a super hot chick who sang great and flashed the audience. The prize was a very nice guitar. Karaoki people are very nutty. It was my first time at a contest.

Comment

Got a Roland Cube 80 here for practice. Usable, dependable, and pretty damn loud.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

Next up is a Crate XT120R. This is a 2 x 12 combo. 120 watts, 3 channel, reverb and comes with a 3 button switch. Clean channel is excellent. Crunch channel is good. Not great. Just good. Totally useable for most genres of music. The solo channel is over the top Crate Flexwave type gain. It has as enough gain for searing guitar solos with the gain on 3. There is one thing about this amp that is worth mentioning. ITS LOUD. Holy crap. This is the loudest 2 x 12 SS combo I have ever heard. The clean has so much headroom that you could break your windows in your house and it won't break up.
            I agree with you on this... I have a GX-140D 2 12's Combo Made in USA 140 Watts, this thing has it all and you are right it can blow the windows out... only problem is the wires that change channels are weak and I have lost my clean Channel
            sigpic
            Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              We lost to a super hot chick who sang great and flashed the audience.
              Pics please
              Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Nice, I thought you played Alanis morissette cause you felt like it lol. My bad

Comment

I had an original Line 6 Spider 2x10. One of my favorite lower priced amps.

Comment

Working...
                  X