5150 + boss hm-2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 + boss hm-2?

Has any one ever put a Distortion pedal on the lead channel of a 5150?

Will this hurt the amp?

I see a BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal Pedal on ebay and am thinking about it for my 5150.

Do these pedal do good in the loop?
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Bumper~~+++~~~
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

No.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

No on 1st 2nd or 3rd question?

only reason I bumped cause I was bidding on one and got out bid so I guess I don't really care anymore
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

If you daisy chain 2 or more HM-2's the sound's amazing factor is squared. Someone had a diagram of it once that graphically showed the hookup method.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

A few questions...
            Why do you want to use a distortion pedal in front of a 5150?
            What are you trying to achieve?
            Distortion pedals always go out in front of the amp
            My suggestion is to go with an overdrive pedal instead of a distortion pedal
            Something like a Tube Screamer or a Boss SD-1
            One thing to consider is that if you put a distortion pedal or an overdrive pedal in front of an already overdriven 5150 tone you will get a TON OF NOISE. You will need to invest in a good noise gate too.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              No.
              Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
              No on 1st 2nd or 3rd question?

only reason I bumped cause I was bidding on one and got out bid so I guess I don't really care anymore
              no to all three?

no, haven't tried it
              no, it won't hurt your amp
              no, it won't do good in your loop

Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                no to all three?

no, haven't tried it
                no, it won't hurt your amp
                no, it won't do good in your loop

Thanks!

I guess what I am trying to achieve can not be done with my 5150
                sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                  I guess what I am trying to achieve can not be done with my 5150
                  What are you trying to achieve? 6505 owner here. May be I can help? Don't know???:think:
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

The HM-2 doesn't create much distortion for a 'distortion' pedal, it might just work nicely as an overdrive if you turn the gain down a bit and the level up. I have had a few of these pedals but admittedly never tried driving a tube amp with it.

Comment

The BOSS Heavy Metal pedal is a big pile of suck - now that I've sold mine, I can come clean!

Its mushy, noisey and has a artificial tone. Other than nostalgia or purposefully wanting bad tone - there's no reason to own one.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

I still have an HM-2 from the mid 80's, loved it when I was a kid.

It can certainly deliver a usable array of sounds, but through a clean channel. Adding it to a high gain channel doesn't seem like the intended purpose. Sounds like doody.
                        Jackson KV2
                        Jackson KE1T
                        Jackson KE1F
                        Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                          What are you trying to achieve? 6505 owner here. May be I can help? Don't know???:think:
                          Listen to "Holier than Thou" I want that distortion...

I know that can't be achieved with my gear...

I have a 18volt setup on the way for my EMG81 will make a Before and After Vid

sigpic
                          Action Jackson

Comment

Tube screamer in front of the 5150, Drive 10-11 o'clock, Tone 3 o'clock, Level 1-2 o'clock. Start with the "666" tone control setting on the 5150 and flavor from there. Keep the 5150 gain at about 60-70% and use the TS drive control to dial in and out hair. That will get you an approximation of the tone I'd imagine.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              Tube screamer in front of the 5150, Drive 10-11 o'clock, Tone 3 o'clock, Level 1-2 o'clock. Start with the "666" tone control setting on the 5150 and flavor from there. Keep the 5150 gain at about 60-70% and use the TS drive control to dial in and out hair. That will get you an approximation of the tone I'd imagine.
                              What Hellbat said. Good idea to use a Tube Screamer. As for the amp, don't put the gain on the 5150 to high. Around 3-4 (numbers around the gain knob ), start with the "666" setting as suggested above and may be cut the mids to 3-4. Cranck the post gain until your ears bleed.
                              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X