Choosing a valve combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a valve combo amp

I've tried a couple Blackstar and Marshall amps. Of those 4, one is a JMD:1 501, which I was told is supposed to be a combo amp version of the JMP:1. To my surprise, it actually has a built in noise gate. I liked it, but wasn't able to make a comparison between that and the Blackstar amps. I did try an MG Series Marshall solid state head with cab, which I didn't like at all. Even tho the EQ was set flat, the mid-range was crap. I tried a Blackstar HT-20 and HT-60 (also tried a HT-5 but found the speaker size made it sound somewhat tinny). The HT-60 seemed to be the easiest to get the sound I wanted, but too easy to hear vibrations from strings I wasn't playing. I only had to turn it up to level 1. Any more than that, it was deafening. I intend to use my Boss GT-10 with whichever amp I choose. TBH, I much prefer the HT-60's amp and distortion over that of the GT-10.

This will be my first amp in 20 years. I like black/death/thrash. Help if you can please.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I suggest you get a head/cabinet instead of a combo, even if it's a 1x12" cabinet. Easier portability and insulating the tubes from the direct vibration of the speaker. Especially if you play heavy/loud and like a little thump, you might get some noises from your reverb or preamp tubes in a combo you won't get from a head/cab.

Kinda sounds like the Blackstar is the ticket for you. I don't think of Marshall when I think black/death/thrash, anyway.

Comment

I would look for a used marshall jcm 900 first. After that, I didn't really like the jmd sound all that much. What about one of the jet city amps that have the slo lead channel? I know the new 20 watt one they premiered does and I the big heads do too.

How many watts are you looking for?
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        I suggest you get a head/cabinet instead of a combo, even if it's a 1x12" cabinet. Easier portability and insulating the tubes from the direct vibration of the speaker. Especially if you play heavy/loud and like a little thump, you might get some noises from your reverb or preamp tubes in a combo you won't get from a head/cab.

Kinda sounds like the Blackstar is the ticket for you. I don't think of Marshall when I think black/death/thrash, anyway.
        Did you mean Insulate or isolate? Do valves rattle or buzz? I don't play loud at all. It was suggested that I go Blackstar because they're good at low volumes. I didn't want a head with cab(s) because of cost and size. I don't use reverb at all.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Insulate or isolate. One is probably more correct but you get the idea. Yes, tubes can pick up vibration. Even a "good" tube is still slightly microphonic. However this mostly happens with really high gain and volume.

You could probably get away with a combo from what you say (mostly quiet & no reverb.) Your back may not like it but maybe you're not as old as me, either.

Comment

On the Blackstar, I had to max out the gain, but kept the volume low. Could the valve combo still survive for long with maxed out gain and low volume? I did think of possibly taking your advice about the head and cab, but I'm not sure if I can get the cab round the L-shaped staircase . Another other factor is cost. I've been looking at prices and it seems a head/cab setup is around the £1k mark, whereas the combo would be £450-£700 depending on which combo it is. I'm not quite at the £1k mark yet. I'm also concerned about mic-setups for single and dual cabs..
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

How about those new 6505+ 1x12 combo? Would fit the style you want to play.

Or get a 5150/6505 head used (they usualy sell for cheap) and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                On the Blackstar, I had to max out the gain, but kept the volume low. Could the valve combo still survive for long with maxed out gain and low volume? I did think of possibly taking your advice about the head and cab, but I'm not sure if I can get the cab round the L-shaped staircase . Another other factor is cost. I've been looking at prices and it seems a head/cab setup is around the £1k mark, whereas the combo would be £450-£700 depending on which combo it is. I'm not quite at the £1k mark yet. I'm also concerned about mic-setups for single and dual cabs..
                Yeah, cranking the preamp gain up isn't going to hurt anything!

The make some smaller 1x12" cabinets and if you're not picky about it matching you could probably come up with something decent. But I thought Blackstar made a little ported 1x12" anyway... But hell even my Recto 2x12 is a good deal lighter than my Boogie combo was. That thing was a back-breaker and I imagine the 60-watt Blackstar would be pretty severe too!

Comment

"Tube amps are loud, Ummm Kay."

I personally want a Splawn StreetRod.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    You shouldn't have to pay £1k for a low watt head and a cab. A plus is that you can change up cabs. You can get yourself a cheap secondhand Laney or Marshall (Sovtek, Peavey, Orange, etc etc) cab.

I believe Jet City have an iso cab out now, which would handy for your low volume recording applications. Not sure what it's worth, but the other Jet City stuff is very reasonably priced, particularly if you find it on sale
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Im using a Peavey Bravo. 20w, all tube. Basically its a Peavey Ultra combo. It can do quiet to fairly loud. I used it for a 4am personal jam session in the house a couple of weeks ago and didnt disturb anyone else in the house, not even the baby.
                      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

actually check out the Peavey Classic 30. I think it might be just what you need. It takes pedal well too.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Mesa Mark V 1x12? If the Extreme mode doesn't have enough gain for you, you have problems.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

I like Nocturnus, my current main influence. IIRC, they used Marshalls, well, the guy with the Yellow Warrior Pro did anyway. Does that help at all?
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

dammit boy, you are still fukin around with amps?? I thought we had this worked out? your more HM than I am!
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X