Choosing a valve combo amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
    dammit boy, you are still fukin around with amps?? I thought we had this worked out? your more HM than I am!
    Its impossible to demo any Marshall amps right now cuz no-one in town has any, hence this thread, dumbass bitch! .. I've got 5 days off next week, going out of town to find more shops (Bridgford, Ilkeston, Stapleford, Derby). Must find amp, must find amp, must find amp, bzzt!, dammit.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      I like Nocturnus, my current main influence. IIRC, they used Marshalls, well, the guy with the Yellow Warrior Pro did anyway. Does that help at all?
      I like Nocturnus too. The Key is fantastic.

The only thing that the Mark V doesn't do is Rectifier-style saturation. It's gain structure is perfect for the drier tones of old-school death metal (like Nocturnus).

You could also try an Orange Rockerverb combo. Those amps are phenomenal. (You might need more gain though)
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        I like Nocturnus too. The Key is fantastic.

The only thing that the Mark V doesn't do is Rectifier-style saturation. It's gain structure is perfect for the drier tones of old-school death metal (like Nocturnus).

You could also try an Orange Rockerverb combo. Those amps are phenomenal. (You might need more gain though)
        Mike Davis from Nocturnus used my old Laney AOR 50 6 knobber for all his leads on "The Key". For rhythm I believe he used a Marshall, I can't remember really. I know his later rig was all rack with a QSC power amp, ADA MP-1 and ART SGE.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Blackstar 20 watt. Just parted ways with a Model 4 I never clicked with to help pay for it! I hope to pick it up next week, I am just a bedroom player so it is plenty of amp for me.

Comment

Originally posted by plon View Post
            Mike Davis from Nocturnus used my old Laney AOR 50 6 knobber for all his leads on "The Key". For rhythm I believe he used a Marshall, I can't remember really. I know his later rig was all rack with a QSC power amp, ADA MP-1 and ART SGE.
            He used a Laney for recordings? All I saw on the live vids were Marshalls. I must find a laney then...

I tried a Randall combo (1x12 speaker) today, not my cuppa tea on it's own, but made a Boss GT-10 sound really good thru the Randall's return input! I don't know which Randall it was, didn't check.

Originally posted by mastrxplodr View Post
            I'm a big fan of the Blackstar 20 watt. Just parted ways with a Model 4 I never clicked with to help pay for it! I hope to pick it up next week, I am just a bedroom player so it is plenty of amp for me.
            I tried the HT-60 Stage (2x12 speaker) again today. Still sounds good on it's own, particularly when the OD2 is engaged. I'm looking to hear how the Soloist version (1x12) sounds.

Even tho I haven't chosen yet, I found it far more pleasing to play thru an amp than thru headphones. When the time comes, any neighbours brave enough to be home during the day are gonna think they're in HELL .
            Last edited by wilkinsi; 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              He used a Laney for recordings? All I saw on the live vids were Marshalls. I must find a laney then...

He used MY Laney. I lent it to him to record his solos. When he was on the road for the first album, he was using what was on stage from the other bands and his effects. All he brought was his rack and his guitars.

Comment

Well, I finally got to demo the JMD:1 501 alongside the MA50C today. The JMD does have more options such as an emulated output, headphone out, +4/-10 and trim for the loop, and plenty of different sounds. But I don't like it. Tonally, I preferred the MA50C. It has a boost switch (dammit, I just left it switched in), but lacks a lot of features, such as trim control for the loop, a headphone jack and emulated output. The shop wants £499 for the MA and £699 for the JMD. That still leaves the Blackstar HT-60 at £699. I'm taking my GT-10 into town and demo'ing these amps again. I don't think the JMD will be in the final shortlist. The FX on it suck.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

It is here:

I won't have a chance to try it til next week when I have the house to myself. Next step is to get a stand for it...
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Let us know how it sounds!!!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

used peavey 5150 combo or ultra plus 60 combo imo

Comment

Working...
                      X