Two amp setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two amp setup.

I know that there are MANY artists that run two or more amps at once. Its not that hard of a setup to do.
    My question is as follows:
    If you were to run a heavy gain amp (Splawn, Triple Rec...whatever) in conjunction with a crystal clean amp sound such as an AC30, how do you think that would sound? Setting the AC30 just slightly lower volume wise than the heavy gain amp. Do you think it would sound somewhat like just running the Splawn with a chorus pedal that has been dimed waaaaaaaaaaaaay back to use as little of the effect as possible but still achieve that "glassy" sound, or do you think it would be a totally different animal?
    Personally, I have never heard of any artist using amps in this fashion.
    Its all complete speculation, its just ideas running through my head.
    If I had unlimited funds, I would try shit like this.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

You might find the sound usable or even cool in one specific listening position in the room. In all other positions it will be... unusable. I sometimes use a similar trick when recording guitar solos. I will record both the clean signal and the distorted one. When mixing, I will start with the distorted signal on close to 100% volume and then slowly pull up the clean (and compressed) signal until it adds definition / dynamic / percussion to the distorted signal. I am talking mono here, not stereo. It sometimes works well and gives the solo a lot more definition. You can hear all notes much clearer. But in a live stereo setup... fail, I would think.

Edit: If you place the two amps right beside each other or on top of each other, this might work OK in a live situation. But still... I think a clean signal projects differently compared to a distorted one. So in a live situation, the level of clean will differ depending on where you are standing in the room.
    Last edited by jackson1; 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

You could, if you have a stereo 412 cab, use on side for the distorted amp and the other side for the clean. It may help with better projection and blending if done that way, especially if your stereo configuration is in a criss cross fashion, but like you said, its just speculation. Try it, if you like it and its feasible, do it. If it sounds like shit, disavow any knowledge of the experiments and run away to South America.

Note: I have my 412s wired in criss cross fashion because I have 2 different kinds of speakers and want at least 1 of each running at any given time while using it as a 212 and at the same time having equal amount of the inner area of the cab being used for balanced movement of air within the cab. Having 2 speakers at opposing corners of the cab allows for room for air to move away from the speaker un-restricted, at least in theory.
      Last edited by Twitch; 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

i have done this in the past with excellent results. i would blend a 4x10 fender bassman reissue and a rack system with an ADA MP1, rocktron intellifex, and a peavey classic 50/50 amp and a marshall 1936 2X12 cab. the fender was clean and girthy, and the rack system was set-up for maximum sustain. i had a pedal board with a few stomp boxes feeding the fender and i used a stereo chorus to split the signal. i tried using a morley ABY box, but i got too much hum.

in fact, this is what moved me to use the rivera S120 live instead of the M100, M60, or the rig i just talked about. once i went "stereo" with my effects on one side and the dry (cleaner) signal on the other, i didn't (and still don't) like playing out of one amp.

but, to answer what you are specifically asking, it sounds different than diming a chorus pedal. it sounds like two amps recorded at the same time and blended. it is a great sound!!!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm REALLY digging the idea of using an AC30 completely clean along with a high gain amp. I have never heard a fuller more "pure" guitar sound than what I've heard from an AC30, and can only imagine how it would sound in a setup like that.
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

do it!!!! i think you would be very pleased.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

LOL I think I would.....IF I only had the cash to buy a vintage AC30 and a Triple Rec
              I technically COULD do it with what I have to work with
              a Crate V-18 all tube amp that has really nice cleans, but so little headroom that I dunno if I could keep it clean.
              and a Peavey Classic Series 60...Now that I think about it with some thought as to how I wire it, I could do it with 3 amps!!
              I have the:
              Crate V18 (12AX-7 pre and EL84 Power) 2x12 combo
              Peavey Classic Series 60 Power amp (6L6 tubes) Rack used with a Zoom 9150 Pre (tube)
              Peavey M-4000 Solid StateRack used with a Behringer Vamp Pro
              modeling preamp
              I imagine there are a LOT of different configs I could use to get some thick sweet tones!
              Peavey M-4000

Anyone got a spare 2x12 cab they would be willing to part with so I can do this?
              Anyone...Anyone...Bueller...Buller?
              Last edited by bombtek; 02-22-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah.. I HAVE the three amps I mentioned, but, how the hell do I run all three at once? Two is a pice of cake with an ABY...but 3?

Comment

Randall or Egnater should release a "Blender" head that lets you use different RM series pre-amps and let you mix the outputs.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                    Oh yeah.. I HAVE the three amps I mentioned, but, how the hell do I run all three at once? Two is a pice of cake with an ABY...but 3?
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Easy to do with Axe-FX,
                      Just saying..
                      http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
                        Easy to do with Axe-FX,
                        Just saying..

close, but not the same. i love modelling amps, but it's just not the same. i know many will come to argue, but you shan't convince nor sway me from my belief. and, yes, i have had some experience with the Axe-FX - very cool item, indeed, but just doesn't move air the same way to my ears.
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
                          Easy to do with Axe-FX,
                          Just saying..
                          The Boss GT8 also has a feature to blend two different amp sounds together. Not quite the same either, but another option.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was just hoping that someone would have said "just run another ABY pedal, That'll do it".

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                              I was just hoping that someone would have said "just run another ABY pedal, That'll do it".
                              I was thinking that, but didn't wanna say it.

Well, it would work!
                              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X