No announcement yet.

new tube amp,pedals for Jackson dk2m??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tube amp,pedals for Jackson dk2m??

Hey guys i am new to the forum.I have an Jackson dk2m.got 2 months back..really an awesome guitar.For now i am using it with really cheap marshall mg30dfx(solid state crap)NOw i have decided to upgrade my gear except guitar!!
    I have 1000$ to spend.I want a nice tube amp and a overdrive or distortion pedal if (needed).I play at home and some small venue gigs. I am a metal player.I usually play metallica,megadeth kinda stuff.I also do some shredding and punk etc.I have never used pedals so i dont know how do they sound.Should i spend 1000$ on a amp or amp+pedal??what amp and pedal should i go for?? i am considering marshall haze,Peavey valveking 112,orange tiny terror..what would u guys suggest me??Your suggestion will be appreciated.
    thanks in advance!

Welcome to the boards, congrats on your Dk2M, they are great guitars. Peaveys will do all the styles you mentioned, but you need to let your ears be the judge, try before you buy!
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

I always wanted to try one of these little blackstar amps.
      They're supposed to have really awesome metal tones. I like especially the idea of the low wattage ones.
      5 Watts would be plenty for home use and small gigs.

They are a little below your budget, but I heard and read many nice things about these amps, maybe you should try one out if you can.
      With 1000$ you could even consider buying a head and 2x12 or something like that.
      Great sound but still portable...
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

I would rule the Haze out completely. I've played them a bunch of times and finally decided they sound like ass.

I would look on the used market - Peavy 5150, 5150 II, Marshall DSL - hell - GC and Sam Ash is blowing out NOS Marshall TSLs all the time - 499, 599 - etc.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Blackstar, Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, Carvin V3, Peavy JSX or 6505...just off the top of my head any of those in a combo or head with 2X12 would do the trick. All can be found in your price range also. I played a Haze recently and really liked the clean sound but it didn't have much gain. The Valveking is OK but for 1000.00 I think the above choices are better. If you need to keep it quiet the 5 watt Blackstar or Orange Tiny Terror may be your best bet.

Comment

Try and test a bunch out if you can at a GC or something. If not, listen on youtube, tons of demos out there.

Maybe a Peavey 6505+ 1x12 60W combo amp would be a decent start, around $600, with enough left over for a decent delay pedal, digital or analog and/or an overdrive if you think you need to add one.

Being new to pedals, there are a billion options out there, from the standard BOSS, Electro-Harmonix, MXR, Hardwire stuff you can get at guitar center (many of which are awesome for the price) and then there is the whole boutique pedal world like Keeley, Jetter, Wampler, Lovepedal, Zendrive, OceanEFX, Strymon, etc., but you're getting into the $200 per pedal range there.

There is a guy on youtube "gearmandude" that demos just about every pedal out there.
            Jackson KV2
            Jackson KE1T
            Jackson KE1F
            Jackson SL1

Comment

I play similar stuff and the DSL100 1/2 stack I bought new in 1998 has served me well. I'm happy with the amp all by itself, but a single EQ pedal in the effects loop can really turn this into a monster (I have both an MXR and the BOSS EQ-20 I think, the programmable one).

I also have the old standbys but they never get used. A TS-10, an Crybaby, and a MT-2 Metalzone.

I'm very happy with guitar -> DSL100.

I might add that not all are created equal. I don't know how good the newer ones are. My speakers are well broke in (G75's). I didn't like the amp as much at first when the speakers were tight, but grown to love it more and more as it aged. I've heard some in stores that sounded great and sounded like crap, so shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                I would look on the used market - Peavy 5150, 5150 II,
                Really can't go wrong with a 5150...
                sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

hey i listened some youtube video.blackstar amps sounded really awesome.especially that blackstar ht20 studio.I am pretty impressed with this one. wat say guys??.. ht20 head+a cab.and a chorous or overdrive pedal.have anyone tried this ht20 studio.i want to know if it is loud enough to handle small gigs.cause feature wise it seems cool. it has an effects loop,reverb etc. OR should i consider tiny terror(but doesnt have an effect loop!)????

Comment

guys r u ignoring me just because i am new to the forum?? 180 views but only 6 replies??plz let me know ur suggestions..

Comment

I am buying an HT20 combo so yes I like it. The 20 watts tube should be enough with the cab I would think, a gig requiring more should have PA support in my opinion. Hopefully someone with some live experience with a lower wattage tube amp can give a better answer.

Comment

Originally posted by vicks View Post
                        guys r u ignoring me just because i am new to the forum?? 180 views but only 6 replies??plz let me know ur suggestions..
                        Perhaps they don't have a suggestion for you. They DO have to click on your post to read your whole question, and once they do, may not have an answer for you. I wouldn't consider six replies being ignored in any sense. If you're expecting 180 replies since there are 180 views, that's not going to happen...

I clicked on your post since I too am in the market for a smaller tube amp, and was curious as to what their suggestions would be. That's the nature of forums, others will have the same question as you, so they click on your question, read, and never respond.

I have 169 posts, and about 3 Bazillion views
                        Last edited by BayRocker; 03-05-2011, 12:00 PM.
                        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Working...
                        X