Cheap inexpensive amps live debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap inexpensive amps live debate

I am not interested in getting into a bedroom amp tone debate. My personal opinion is that there are hundreds of amps that sound great at low bedroom volumes.
    I am talking about live club playing. Small clubs not mic'd, large clubs mic'd.
    I practice at home with a POD X3 plugged into my computer. I am primarily a live player.
    Because I want this to be an informative debate I will list some of the amps I have owned..
    Soldano SLO
    Soldano Avenger
    Soldano SP77
    Soldano Astroverb
    Marshall Plexi
    Marshall JCM800 2203
    Marshall JCM2000 TSL50
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL50
    Marshall JCM900 MKII Super Reverb
    Marshall 8100 (VS100)
    Mesa Dual Rectifier
    Mesa Tremoverb
    Mesa Stilleto
    Mesa MK III Purple Stripe
    Mesa MK II
    Mesa Studio 22
    Mesa Studio 22+
    Mesa Nomad
    Carvin Quad X
    Carvin MTS3200
    Carvin V3
    Carvin X100B
    Carvin Legacy
    Randall RM100
    Randall Warhead
    Randall RG100ES-SS
    Laney Pro Tube 100
    Laney AOR30
    Laney AOR50
    Laney Linebacker 100
    Peavey 5150
    Peavey 5150II
    Peavey Ultra
    Line 6 Vetta
    Line 6 Vetta II
    Line 6 Spyder 212
    Line 6 Flextone
    Line 6 Flextone IIXL
    Several full high end rack systems, and probably 30 or 40 more amps of different manufacturers. Some boutique.. some off the shelf store bought.
    For cabinets I use primarily Marshall 1960A's and B's with Celestion T75's and V30's.
    So.. on to the debate.
    Many players feel that you get what you pay for with live amps. To some extent.. I do too.
    My current live rig consists of a Randall RM100 using the Blackface, Ultra and XTC modules, a Marshall 1960B loaded with T75's. In the backline I have a Peavey 5150II and a Carvin Quad X. We also have a Carvin V3.
    I have been using this set up for almost 3 years now. I have been extremely happy with it and have no plans on changing my rig anytime soon.
    Lately, I have been buying and selling low end amps... both combo's and stacks. Trying to make ends meet in this very tough economy. Anyway, because I have been having low end amps coming in and out I have had the chance to put them through their paces with a local band live that I have been working with.
    What I have found.. is that most of my opinions of using low end amps live are wrong.
    95% of all the cheap amps I am talking about are full solid state. Not a tube to be found. The build quality is average to low end.
    Let me list some of these el-cheapo amps...
    Crate XT120R
    Line 6 1st Gen Spider 212
    Kustom KG100HFX
    Line 6 Spyder III
    Various Randall and Laney SS heads and combos
    Various Peavey SS heads and combos.
    Various Crate heads and combo's.
    Fender Rock Pro 1000
    Marshall Valvestates...

Many of these amps sound great, have great features and will absolutely hold up for playing live. Of course.. if you are touring the country or the world you may want to step it up a notch but most of us are normal club players. Local mainly.
    I am currently using a Crate XT120R which is a 3 channel 2 x 12 combo 120w with my local band and it sounds outstanding. No issues at all. Cuts through the mix with ease, great tone, quiet and nice useable live features. Super cheap too.
    Everybody that has heard it live has been impressed. They think I modded it or something.
    I also just picked up a Kustom KG100HFX and a Crate 4 x 12 Flexwave cab. Its listed in the classifieds now. This rig sounds fantastic live. Clean or gain. Just enough features, loud and extremely affordable. Its got a quality tone. Put this side by side with a 1/2 stack at 3 times the price and it would hold up no problem.
    Many players talk about build quality and that they don't want an amp that will blow up in a week or a year so they pay more for them.
    Well... many of the amps that I have bought and sold over the last 2 years were low end inexpensive amps that were made in the late 80's and early 90's. Many of them were beat to crap and gigged to death and they were still working fine when I got them.
    Many of the newer low end amps I have got in, low end cabinets with low end speakers were all gigged heavily and put through their paces and they were all working fine when I got them.
    So.. what that means to me is this. Is build quality really as important as we are led to believe? I don't think so. For the normal local club player build quality doesn't mean much at all.
    What about tubes or SS? I have found that lower end SS amps sound MUCH better than lower end tube amps.
    What about speakers and speaker cabinets? I have found that Crate, Peavey, Fender and Randall all make great speakers. Celestion also makes great speakers but they are 3 times the price. For the normal local club player any correct speaker sounds great.
    By correct I mean correct to the style and genre of the music they are playing.
    12" speakers are the standard. You can have as many as you want but at least 2 is the best choice.
    So... what do you amp snobs think?

I wouldn't call myself an amp snob by any means. I like the warmth and power tubes offer, just better dynamics to me, but, I will completely agree with you that SS amps are good for live work too. I've been kinda GASsing for a Line 6 Spider IV since I tried a 1x12 version a friend has. Your review has kinda settled the debate for me. Thanks for the insight. BTW 2x12's are the smallest way to go, anything less would be uncivilized....
    Thanks again dude.
    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I understand that many people are extremely finicky about tone. You can hear the difference, sure, but is it worth it when you are mixed with a band? A decent clean tone and a good high-gain channel will do the trick. At that point your playing is what will count more live than a difference in tone that has a debatable effect. I have to say that at a certain point quibbling about the tone instead of just playing your ass off seems like sniveling or making excuses.

My amps are all low end because of my budget and my low fixed disability income, but I feel they sound great and if my playing has flaws I am not gonna snivel because the amp isn't good enough. It's me who needs more practice if that's the case. I have a Carvin VM100, a Peaveu Triumph P.A,G., an earlier Peavey Triumph, and a Peavey Bandit. I run them through a Carvin X-series 412 or 2 Carvin slant 212s. They all sound pretty good to me. I can certainly gig with them without complaining about my tone. Even if my income suddenl;y became large, I don't know that I'd be unhappy with them, especially the Carvin. Its clean tone is sensational to my ears and the drive channel also sounds great to me, especially with the gain around 12 o'clock and the master around 3 so it can open up.

As I said, I know that higher-end amps do sound better, but I casn sound damn good with these inexpensive amps. I'm sure I am far from the best player around here, but i am good enough to sound good with what I have. I'm not that competitive anymore' Paul Gilbert kind of cured me of that way back in 1986 seeing him live. But each of us has his or her individual voice and no one can be you better than you. Finding yourself and making the most of it is what it's about.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i have heard cheap rigs sound great and more expensive rigs sound bad. Examples, one of the best heavy tones I have heard was the budget SS Hughes and Kettner half stack, with a budget PRS. He had a large pedal board with it and could really layer his sound without it sounding too processed. Same show, a kid had a nice Orange Rockerverb half stack with a beautiful high end Ibanez. He put a Digitech multi fx in front of it and it was garbage. And I love the Orange sound, it was criminal lol.

Comment

your list of amps is impressive, as is your ability to use a "cheap" amp live. the only "cheap" amps i have ever been able to get to "work" for me are the first generation marshall valvestate. but then, i didn't like the following amps live either:

soldano SLO
          soldano X88R
          soldano SP77
          soldano astroverb
          mesa/boogie MKIV
          marshall JCM800 2204
          marshall 6100LM
          marshall JMP
          marshall 3203
          laney AOR50
          peavy XXX
          carvin V3
          carvin X100B
          rivera knucklehead reverb
          rivera knucklehead
          fender tonemaster
          crate stealth 50

for "cheap" amps that i have tried live, and disliked, that list includes:

line 6 flextone II
          peavey supreme
          randall V2
          randall RG100
          fender FM100
          crate GX1200

NONE of the amps listed above gave me the "feel" and frequency response i was looking for. in one way or another, my playing suffered a little bit while using those amps. now, some of the amps from the first list i wish i still had, JUST so i could say that i have them, but they would be furniture, not usable tools.

i agree with you, john, regarding build quality. as a gigging guitarist, i have seen many amps get bumped and dropped. the "cheap" amps seem to hold up just as well as the "expensive" amps - though dropping an amp from ANY height is risky (duh) - so don't listen to eddie van halen and believe you can drop your 5153 from the back of a truck 20 times and still turn it on without checking the tubes or anything!!!!

for me, it comes down to what i can afford and whether or not it is going to give me what i need to hear in order to be the best player i can. as i have said before, i have pretty much used the same rig since 1990. i am always up for trying new things, and i get excited when some new amp comes along. i also know that i will have a short love affair with it because my current rig is like my voice. so in that regard, i guess i am on the same page as lerx.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far. I intended this thread to be for the JCF members that may be thinking about joining or forming a band and they need to go out and buy a live rig with limited cash. Thats probably most everybody here!
            All the talk of Ubershalls and Soldano's, Mesa's and high end Marshall's is intimidating and could cause some players to put off joining or forming a band because they can't afford a $3000.00 rig.
            Its not necessary bros. You can go out and buy a brand new Kustom 100w head for $200.00 and a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12 cab made by Crate or some other company for under $300.00 and go out and gig your butt off.
            You can buy one of those slick new Line 6 modeling amps for under $400.00 and gig anywhere you want.
            Don't think that just because the other guitar player is using a Bogner or a Soldano or whatever that you need to have a comparible rig.
            Its simply not true. I would say that if you know how to play you could make almost any decent amp sound good.
            If you suck, how much your amp costs isn't going to help you out. Some of the best guitar tones in history were accomplished by using all kinds of inexpensive amps. I heard that Jimmy Page used a little Fender Champ to record the guitar solo for Heartbreaker.
            My band did a big festival and one of the warm up acts was a bunch of kids who showed up with low end combos and I mean LOW END.
            One kid was playing a 2nd gen Spider head and a beat up no name cab. He didn't even have a footswitch for the amp.
            Anyway, the band kicked butt and his guitar tone was outstanding. He was mic'd. I bet his rig cost $400.00 total tops. My rig at that gig was probably arouund $3500.00. I will say with complete honesty that his guitar tone was just as good as mine through the PA.
            Stage volume didn't matter because the stage had a fantastic monitoring system so the guitar amp stage volume levels were fairly low.
            Their other guitar player had a 1 x 12 Marshall Valvestate combo. One of those $299.99 combos brand new. It sounded outstanding.
            Just goes to show you.

Comment

I just got back from test driving a HD 150 half stack, and I'm impressed. The variety of settings and models is really cool, it covers about everything I can think of. There was a setting for 'Bark at the Moon' so I had to play it. Pretty close IMO. The price isn't bad for what it is, but the only drawback I've seen is accessories. There are no covers for it (seperate) and you must have their footswitch (2 models, also seperate) to download settings/upgrades, and these aren't cheap. The lower end one was reasonable so I said WTH and started a layaway on the whole setup. I liked it that much. I'll get it out in about a week, gonna sell off some other stuff to pay for it or the wife will see the checkbook and I get the big WTF!? I hope it lives up to my expectations, which aren't real high, but I think I'm going to be happy. NAD soon!
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I can get by with a lot less than I actually want to use. But I will always play better with a better tone. IOW, I don't have to have my Axe-FX or a Bogner but using a cheap ass solid state Crate is not going to have me jumping for Jesus with excitement and inspiration.

There are affordable amps out there that are worthy. Carvin and Fender offer some great amps at price points that should be affordable to most folks pursuing this semi-seriously. You don't have to get stuck with a piece of shit just because you have a limited budget. I always found good gear over the years no matter what my budget was. Don't settle. Don't buy some random ass thing just because it's cheap.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Oh, and always go for a good single channel amp over a mediocre multi-channel amp. A good single channel amp will let you clean up by rolling back the guitar volume and get heavier with a dirt pedal. That's way more satisfying.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I wish you guys could hear my buddy live Here in Nd...
                    with his 2 Bugera 333xl's...running together in seperate cabs..(marshall 1960's)
                    they do covers of alot of ozzy stuff....sounds like your at a real ozzy concert..
                    plus he's a great guitarist..but for less than $600 a head new.....what the hell huh...
                    I bought one because of him..of course he runs an eventide pedal and a rack unit to run both heads...
                    but thats all...

Comment

When I was in high school playing out in a band, I used some Peavey 100 watt 2x12 combo and a DOD distortion pedal. Its what was available at the time. In college, I had a Peavey Bandit 1x12. I paid maybe $80 for it. It worked. I played a MIJ Strat, a Kramer Focus and a Gibson SG Special

Now, cheap stuff in terms of reliability - my experience - Here's a pic of my "upstate rig." This was my first Marshall amp - 1st gen Valvestate amp - 8020. I'm not going to glorify the sound of this amp - its not good. Further, it came with a push-button power switch which died within the first year of operation. The power switch is now held down by a block of foam and a lot of duct tape wrapped around the amp. So yeah, it still works. This one stays at my summer home.

Now that I'm older and have some disposable income to spend on guitars and amp - I buy what I want within reason.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        I can get by with a lot less than I actually want to use. But I will always play better with a better tone. IOW, I don't have to have my Axe-FX or a Bogner but using a cheap ass solid state Crate is not going to have me jumping for Jesus with excitement and inspiration.

There are affordable amps out there that are worthy. Carvin and Fender offer some great amps at price points that should be affordable to most folks pursuing this semi-seriously. You don't have to get stuck with a piece of shit just because you have a limited budget. I always found good gear over the years no matter what my budget was. Don't settle. Don't buy some random ass thing just because it's cheap.
                        +1 on carvin and fender. My V3 was a great amp, and I still love my Hot Rod Deluxe. Both are fantastic and cheap.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

you are 100% right, jg. Heres a pic from last years summer jam we played... Looks like ive got 3 full stacks, LOL... look over the monitor. Thats a second gen flextone 2 micd up. Ths side fills were ridiculously huge, so i just ran guitar thru those, and we were first on the bill, usually meaning zero stage space, although not in this case. Worked perfectly for our 40m set, and had several people say "what amp were you using, it sounded great". This was an outdoor gig for 5000 people.

Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

This thread is a great idea. I've been enjoying your amp review series quite a bit jgcable..

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            I would say that if you know how to play you could make almost any decent amp sound good.
                            If you suck, how much your amp costs isn't going to help you out.
                            ^^ Not much truer could a statement get!!
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ive played line 6 live quite a bit but never was completely happy with my sound. I have tubes now and am much happier. There were only 2 times that the tone of other bands made me ask what gear was he using. One was a matchless dc-30 with a tubescreamer and the other was a splawn quickrod so I guess i dont fit this pattern you guys are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X