No announcement yet.

Cheap inexpensive amps live debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, my choice of amp just got bigger. I have a Marshall MA50C, but it can't handle my GT-10 via it's FX return.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

what do you mean, it can't handle it?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

You should label your GT-10 "The Truth" and then plug it into the Marshall and scream into the pickups "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!"

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I just saw a rock band Saturday night locally. The guitar player was using a Mesa Boogie Dual Recto 1/2 stack with a Digitech GSP1101 plugged into the loop. The other guitar player had a Marshall DSL100 2 x 12 combo sitting on a milk crate with his guitar plugged into it and no effects or pedals.
          I thought the Marshall sounded better.

Comment

I'm seeing a Jet City in the not-so-distant future...

Comment

Well I bought a Spider IV half stack. Had it a couple weeks, and it is EXTREMELY versatile. It has 4 channels fully programmable on 64 banks. Choose your amp type, gain, set the EQ, and grab some other effects (not a lot to choose, but I'm not too picky.) Its a plug and play toy.
              There are way too many presets, from artists to songs to eras (50's, 60's, 70's, etc) and it really does sound good. I am impressed, and it is loud.
              The only thing I can say bad is it is NOT a tube amp. Tubes have a unique sound IMO, Line6 comes close, but I won't award them a cigar yet. I haven't checked out an AxeFX, so I'll not say that tube sound can't be duplicated.
              All in all for a SS amp I give the Line6 Spider IV HD150 big props for their work. I am happy with my purchase (and trades) and wouldn't change anything, except to put some motherf&^king casters on the 412. That and you MUST buy the FBV board to update. I do recommend it to anyone who can get one. It is that good. (The 212 combo is near the same price, so get the half stack)

EDIT- After some thought, I guess maybe I am a tube snob, but I still like this little amp.
              Last edited by Scooter; 04-10-2011, 08:28 PM.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I am reviving this thread because a ton more cheap amps have come and gone. I am still constantly impressed by the tone I am getting from "sup par" so called crap amplifiers. I have several high end amps at home and in the studio. I also have several el cheapo amps.
                3 in particular I would like to mention are a early 90's JCM900 2 x 12 combo. Yea.... EL34's for power and SOLID STATE for the preamp even though it has 3 preamp tubes. The amp sounds fantastic. Clean channel is great, gain channel is great, effects loop is great, its as loud as heck and it rocks bigtime. Couldn't be happier. I also just picked up a 1989 Marshall 5213 Split Channel Twin Reverb 2 x 12 combo. Its a MOSFET powered amp. Not a tube to be seen. Its basically a 3 channel amp but you can only really use 2 at a time. Great effects loop, 100 watts, gain channel has enough gain for any genre except for scooped death metal, clean channel is great, its crazy loud but also sounds fantastic at whisper quiet volumes, came with Celestion V30's in it, casters, a cool footswitch. This amp nails the Marshall tone that everybody is chasing. Sounds like a Silver Jubilee, a JCM800 modded and a DSL100 to me. This is a cheap amp guys. Its made very well but its not high end, or expensive. It doesn't have tubes in it. Mosfet power is actually pretty amazing. So is toroidal power. They both really sound like tubes.
                I also picked up a Crate XT120R 2 x 12 combo. Its got casters, reverb, an effects loop, 3 button footswitch, 3 channels. Its loud. It has a great clean channel, a great rhythm channel and the lead channel is outstanding. Its the perfect practice, rehearsal and gigging amp. Its stupid cheap. I did a gig with it a few months ago. The other guitar player had a fairly expensive Marshall 1/2 stack. At the end of the gig I got compliments on my guitar sound. I agree.. my guitar tone was great. How much did this amp cost me? I got it used in mint condition for $150.00. I would play anywhere with it if I had to. Look up the reviews on it. Not a bad review to be found. Why?? Because the amp rips bigtime.
                Anyway.. whats my point here???
                My point is this. I am 50. Been playing metal live and in the studio since I was 16. I have never not been in a band. Thats pretty consistant. Over the years I have owned everything and I mean everything from $50.00 amps and guitars to $5000.00 ones. I have a good ear for good guitar tone. If you are looking to start a band or join a band and you just don't have the cash for a Ubershall or a Soldano or some other expensive amp don't be discouraged. You can get great tone out of really inexpensive amps. Just go out there and check them out.

Comment

I hear you about the mosfet power amps. Thats what is going on with the Randall V2, though it does have both a full tube lead channel preamp and SS lead and clean preamps. Furthermore, I got compliments every time I took the Randall RH200SC to a gig. It always blew peoples minds that there wasnt a single tube in it.
                  Last edited by Twitch; 11-17-2011, 06:35 AM.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

JGC, you really got me thinkin about my amp stable. You officially in a round about way talked me into not selling the PB for a LP(no that I wasnt entirely sure I wanted to anyhow).
                    To add to you cheap amps theme here, my advice is to get chummy with the local guitar store owner or main salesman. I have about 4 hours of computer work in my PB, thats all I paid for it. It started with the Fireball, traded that for a 6505+ half stack and then traded that for the PB. I have no money in it whatsoever.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

John, if you ever get a chance to try a Traynor YCS series combos or heads, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on them.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                        JGC, you really got me thinkin about my amp stable. You officially in a round about way talked me into not selling the PB for a LP(no that I wasnt entirely sure I wanted to anyhow).
                        To add to you cheap amps theme here, my advice is to get chummy with the local guitar store owner or main salesman. I have about 4 hours of computer work in my PB, thats all I paid for it. It started with the Fireball, traded that for a 6505+ half stack and then traded that for the PB. I have no money in it whatsoever.
                        The Powerball is an outstanding amp and if you have no money in it.. all the better. I am a big fan of that amp. Its a great metal amp.

Comment

I loaned my MK III coliseum 300 to a good friend for a gig, the other guitar player was using Line 6 gear. You couldn't even hear a single note the other dude played, my boogie crushed it with no effort, thick, balls to the walls sound while perfectly sitting in with the rhythm section. Even the casual listeners noticed that badass guitar assault. And yeah, my pal can fucking play.

If your business is to kick ass, then you choose the necessary tools.
                          Why go racing with a moped when you can have a Ducati superbike?
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Why would you ride a Ducati superbike if you want to race MotoGP?
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Screw MotoGP, I wanna race on Isle of Man, with no tt and nudge the competitors.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I dont know why you guys use those ampy things anymore. Just use a VG99, it has everything, plugs directly into a PA, and can almost fit in your back pocket. Screw tubes, screw ampy things...........

Comment

Working...
                                X