New Amps - Last Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amps - Last Month

I scored a couple of amps on trades last month so I figured I'd put them here. First I got an old 8 knob Laney 100W AOR Pro Tube. This is the Series 1 head. This is a single channel amp with a footswitchable extra preamp stage. It doesn't go pristine clean to modern metal, but it can do bluesy breakup to 80's hair metal with a push of a button. I had a 50 watt 6 knob AOR and this baby has tons more gain than my old amp. Also in the trade, I got a mint Tom Scholz Power Soak, which works pretty good with the Laney. I haven't tried it with my other heads, but the JVM and VHT Sig:X has a great working Master Volume.

My second score is an Ampeg VL-502 head. The amp is the 50 watt model and it sounds really cool. I remember seeing the ads for this amp back in the day and though of how cool it would be to own. Once again, it's a 2 channel amp with a decent clean and a 80's hair metal gain channel. The only issue that I had was that the amp's weight is definitely not distributed well when using the handle. Also, I get a little 60 hz hum when the amp is on and nothing is plugged in. I'm gonna replace the tubes, but it may need a filter cap job. Anyhow, here's what they look like...

Whats up with the high security key lock on the Ampeg?
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Excellent, there's a 100 watt version of the Ampeg "VL-1002" avaiable locally, the key is a pretty cool feature too.
      Last edited by hunter1970; 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM. Reason: Left out something.

Comment

So people can't "play" with your amp when you're not around. I have to see if it really works...

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
        Whats up with the high security key lock on the Ampeg?

Comment

What's the asking price for the VL-1002?

Originally posted by hunter1970 View Post
          Excellent, there's a 100 watt version of the Ampeg "VL-1002" avaiable locally, the key is a pretty cool feature too.

Comment

Is the frequency control on the ampeg for dailing in/out a mid cut or does it change the Q on the midrange control itself? Looks like a neat amp.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Cool. That Laney logo looks like a new replacement. I have the 50 watt version. It works good as a cheap JCM800 replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                What's the asking price for the VL-1002?
                $449

Comment

I had a VL1002 and it was a great amp.If you take the back cover off there should be a spare key inside.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well I replaced the power and preamp tubes in the Ampeg. The original were all Groove Tubes. The amp is now really quiet. i dropped in a pair of JJ E34L's and some factory Mesa 12AX7's. Then I swapped back in the original preamp tubes one at a time and found a dead tube, which I tossed. Anyhow, the amp sounds great now. Maybe I'll swap out the E34L's for some 6L6's to see what kind of tonal change they have. Very happy with the amp so far...

Comment

I think Horns had one of those 100-watt Ampegs that went pyromaniac...

Comment

Good thing this is only a 50 watter...

Comment

3% less fire...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            3% less fire...
                            Heh heh, tech nerd comment.
                            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                              Heh heh, tech nerd comment.