Reducing the Volume on 100watt Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing the Volume on 100watt Heads

So picked up one of the Jet City 100 Watt heads. I have to say that it is a great, great amp with a lot of tone! It is a 2 channel amp that can do a great clean to clean break-up to crunch to classic rock and well beyond in metal territory. I have the stock tubes in it for now, but have read that the tone gets way better by removing the cheap chinese tubes. For the price, I highly recommend this amp

Regardless, like many others, I love the tone of a 100 watt head but dont what to loose my hearing

Perhaps someone can provide some guidance.

Will the 50 watt head sound the same as the 100 watt?

and if I pull 2 tubes from the power section, will I get the tone at reduced volume or will this effect the tone?

Thanks in advance...

If it has a serial effects loop, throw a volume pedal in there. Then you can run the power section at normal levels but use the volume pedal to control the signal getting through to it. Side bonus : built in solo boost.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      If it has a serial effects loop, throw a volume pedal in there. Then you can run the power section at normal levels but use the volume pedal to control the signal getting through to it. Side bonus : built in solo boost.
      Now THAT is one hell of an idea. So simple too! Fuck all these hotplates...attenuators...pulling out tubes!

Good call Hellbat! Can't believe it never entered my thought process!

Just had a funny thought.
      Back in the 80's this question would have never come up. EVER.
      More like "how can I make this thing LOUDER?"
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
        More like "how can I make this thing LOUDER?"
        "WHAT???"
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

50W vs. 100W - not much difference in overall volume. About 3%. I prefer 50W personally for the crunchiness, but boy, do those 100W have some girth!! BALL SHAKERS!

Comment

Turn the volume knob down.

Comment

I had one of those Marshall Powerbrakes on my 100 watter. It was sort of a mixed bag, it was okay if you conservatively attenuated it a click or two.

Comment

I agree. If you want to make your amp sound like you have a wet blanket over it.. use an attenuator.
                Attenuators are very useful live and loud to bring down an amp a few db's but for home use they are useless because when you over attenuate you really mud up the tone.
                Get a Morley Lil Alligator volume pedal and throw it in the loop. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  Turn the volume knob down.
                  You know, that might just work!
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Working...
                  X