No announcement yet.

Bit the bullet, preordered a Carvin V3M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the review. I'm really looking into getting one of these, just pissed at myself for missing the pre-order $100 off.
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
      Thanks for the review. I'm really looking into getting one of these, just pissed at myself for missing the pre-order $100 off.
      Same here. Thank you very much for the review. Have fun with the new amp.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Yes, thanks for taking your time to review it here.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I finally got a chance to spend some time at home with the V3M, playing it in 7-watt mode through my Mesa vertical 2x12 with Celestion Vintage 30s. I have to start by saying that, playing with all individual channel volumes at 9 and the master volume below 2, it is LOUD. It is more than sufficient for anyone who needs an amp capable of everything from bedroom jamming to recording to gigging. I also had a chance to experiment more with individual channel settings and some of the other functions, so here are my thoughts on that . . .

Clean Channel: I've never bought an amp specifically because it had a great clean tone, and it wasn't a priority when buying this amp either, but the Bright/Classic/Soak switch and EQ expander (EQX) open up all kinds of territory from "pristine" to overdriven. By virtue of so many different options, it easily trumps the various Peaveys I've owned in this department. There's no excuse for not getting at least "pretty good" cleans out of this amp.

Distortion Channels: Since the two distortion channels are identical, the Intense/Classic/Thick and EQX switches are key for getting the most out of the V3M. Since I've played Peavey amps almost exclusively since the early `90s, that is my basis for comparison, and just jamming at home, I liked the distorted tone I got with the following settings: Intense mode w\ EQX turned off, Bass @ 6-7, Mids @ 6-7, Treble @ 5-6, Presence @ 1.5 and Drive @ 7-8. For gigs, I only have one main distorted sound and use a Boss ME-50 for delay and boost on solos, so I'll probably tweak the above settings a bit for six-string use, and dial in something different on the other distortion channel for sevens. As far as the actual tone is concerned, and again comparing to Peavey amps, the V3M's distortion is closer to a JSX or XXX (I) than 5150/6505, mainly because it doesn't "grind" as the drive knob is turned up. It's a slightly cleaner, clearer type of sound, not as forgiving of sloppy playing as some high-gain amps. I don't personally use overdrive or EQ pedals to boost an already distorted amp, but if someone wanted a more saturated tone, it would be very easy to compare the results of using a boost on one channel and no boost on the other.

Boost: I tried the footswitchable Boost function only briefly, as it's simply not something I would normally use. However, if you did need it for solos (as opposed to switching channels for a different tone) it can get ridiculously loud if you want.

Reverb: Another feature that wasn't a priority for me, but a pleasant surprise anyway. I don't typically use amp reverb, as I just use a delay pedal for clean parts and solos, but this is a reverb I would use. It doesn't get very "wet" compared to some, so it's subtle even at 10. Tasteful, and very natural sounding, but possibly not drastic enough for some players.

Noise: Because I was standing in a small room directly in front of the amp, playing through hot pickups, I wasn't surprised to get some noise once the drive knob passed the noon position. It's less buzzy than most Peaveys, and what noise is present is more hum than hiss. I wasn't running a gate in the loop like I normally would, so I don't know how well it will clean up with the tone intact.

Fizz Rumors: My first impression of the V3M is that it's not fizzy, and I stand by that . . . assuming that a person doesn't turn the Presence knob up very far. It's VERY sensitive, and does introduce some fizz as it's turned up. It's better to work within the range of the Treble control, engaging EQX if necessary, before using Presence to tweak the high end.

Overall, my second impression isn't much different from the first. This simply isn't an amp with a "signature" sound, and the jack-of-all-trades approach may not work for everyone, but it's capable of many different tones. Someone looking for a very specific type of tone should buy a very specific amp. Having bought the V3M as a part of a portable gigging rig, cramming a ton of features into a small footprint is very important to me. I already have a fairly elaborate rack rig for recording purposes, and the V3M isn't going to take its place, but it's capable of tones very similar to the larger, heavier gear that I'm trying to avoid hauling around for out-of-town gigs.
          sigpic

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the review!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I bit the same bullet! Ordered one yesterday. This amp
              looks to be just what I want. The Steve Fister demo
              on the web site didn't hurt in making up my mind

Comment

Hmm, I like the feature of having 2 identical OD channels

Moste 'multi' channel amps have the bad habit of having 2 distinct OD channels, where you often make a compromise dialing in the tone
                because they sound too different
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I'm the opposite. I bought a Ultra Plus instead of a XXX because the XXX's crunch and ultra sounded exactly the same. The Ultra Plus's were different and I liked having 2 different tones. But I still want to try one of these V3M's. Be tough to replace my RM100 now though..
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Just a heads-up that Sweetwater now has shallow (10.5" deep) 4U SKB rack cases in stock. I ordered one for my V3M, as I'd already ordered the rackmount kit but didn't want a full-depth Carvin case. It's not as heavy-duty as the Road Runner case I normally use, but it should be well-suited toward carting around a lightweight amp like this. I was concerned about having enough clearance above the amp for airflow and at the back to fit cables through, but it's just about perfect. The power cord rubs against the inner edge of the back opening (which is not as large as in front) but the cord plugs in securely. The depth is as good as I could have hoped for, leaving no wasted space and just right for setting on top of an angled cab without hanging off the edge.
                    Last edited by Inazone; 05-13-2011, 11:15 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Got my V3M a couple months ago and it has been an awesome amp. I use a Mod Tone delay in the loop and it sings. I've owned two other Carvin amps in the past (SX300 and MTS3200) but the V3M is heads and shoulders above them. Personally, I would have rather had a simpler 2-channel setup but still, this amp provides excellent tones.
                      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

GASSing here too

I like everything under one roof as well. I've been disappointed with my rack sound of Mesa 2Fifty and Rockmaster. I've had the RM for 10 years now and ready for a change. I've been reading and listening to V3M stuff online for a week now. I like the 50 watts feature and rack mount option. It's brilliant! All those other companies building their mini heads should take notice.

At this point I'm ready to unload the Mesa for 600-700 and get the Carvin w/ears. It appears that the silver lid can be removed w/o effecting the rack mounting. If so, I'm running mine as a convertible in my rack with tubes glowing like Frankenstein's lab.

Comment

Working...
                        X