Sovtek is finally done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek is finally done.

Got my Sovtek Mig-100 back from the shop the other day and OMG I'm in love with this thing now. Gave 50 for it in working, well barely working order and sent it to the best amp guy in Iowa. He had it @ 2 months and called the other day said it was done, to the tune of $472.00. I was a little sticker shocked but was more than happy to pay for it. Anybody have any info on the Sovtek company? Just curious about them. I was going to get a Carvin V3 with my income tax money but I think I will be sticking with the Sov.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

I bought a mint Mig 100 eons ago for $200, and wow, what a beast. You ought to hold onto that one...I wish I did. It sounded good, and did I mention it was loud? Good God.

I could be wrong, but I imagine those will only appreciate in value.

Comment

Sovteks are a bit like a poor man's JCM 800 without much drop in quality (or reliability)
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
          Got my Sovtek Mig-100 back from the shop the other day and OMG I'm in love with this thing now. Gave 50 for it in working, well barely working order and sent it to the best amp guy in Iowa. He had it @ 2 months and called the other day said it was done, to the tune of $472.00. I was a little sticker shocked but was more than happy to pay for it. Anybody have any info on the Sovtek company? Just curious about them. I was going to get a Carvin V3 with my income tax money but I think I will be sticking with the Sov.

I know you paid little for it, but wow, nearly 500 of work into it! May I ask what the tech did?
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I used to have a little Mig 50 head, one channel, barely any gain. But, running an old ADA MP1 into the front end of that amp and cranking it was a GREAT sound.

Comment

AWESOME ..hugely underrated amps!!

especially for the value.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                I know you paid little for it, but wow, nearly 500 of work into it! May I ask what the tech did?
                He replaced all of the input and output jacks and a bunch of wiring and all new tubes with biasing. The guy I got it from had used silicone to fix all the jacks and got it everywhere, it's the reason I didn't do the work myself. It was kind of a mess.
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

That's funny, not too long ago I was at a guitar shop and noticed some "Sovtek" tubes. Looked like some interesting packaging, I don't know much about the company though.

Comment

Had our first show with it friday night and I'm pleased with it's performance. I ran it through a 412 cab with 2 Eminence Man-O-Wars and 2 Carvin Gt12s. Ran my mic on the Carvin. Nice warm sound even when I was running my distortion pedal. Finally the sound in my head is a reality. Of course I'm sure that will change. Doesn't it always though.

Comment

Working...
                    X