X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing ibanez pickups

replacing my pickups on my ibanez rg550
    what pickups should i replace it with?

Name some of the sounds/tone you hope to achieve and people will be able to provide you better informed opinions. What works for Norwiegan death metal isn't necessarily the best pickup for blues or country.

Duncan custom gets a high rating from me for a good all around pickup for all styles and sounds. It's slightly thin/hot for cleans but not unusable.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

yea that would have been more helpful sorry
      what pickups do paul gilbert use?

Comment

Humbucker from Hell and PAF Pro

Comment

Paul gilbert is a DiMarzio endorsee and his sig models use PAF Pro's, Air classics and I believe at some point Tone Zones and Air Nortons.

I have a tone-zone in my RR1 and I like it.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Dimarzio ToneZone (bridge) and Evo (neck) in my RG350M. Really love that combo.

I dig the stock PUs in both of my RG550, so haven't changed them yet in those guitars.
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I think in the higher end Ibanez series they use pickups that are essentially Dimarzio designs, but made by/for Ibanez.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

all of my 540, 550, 560, 570 ibanez guitars have/had di'marzio pickups. to my ears, ibanez and di'marzio are just made for each other. i have always preferred putting a PAF Pro in the bridge, often paired with another PAF Pro or a Humbucker from Hell. i tried AIR pickups - norton, zone - didn't care for them.

the PAF Pro is the original "shred" pickup and gets the job done nicely if you want that "authentic" 80's ibanez sound. it was steve vai's choice in the early JEMs....that says a lot to me. it was also designed to cut through processing and retain clarity. it is not very high output comared to a lot of what is on the market today, but for me clarity and note definition has always been important, so it still remains high on my list.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Love the PAF pro in the neck of my RR1. I tend to dig the medium-hot pickups more than the full on output kings.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

my fav DiMarzio p/u is the Super Distortion, paired with a PAF in the neck it's a nice combo.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

i was actually thinking of invaders or the tone zone or paf pro idk which
                      Last edited by cheese0tron; 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Word! Like wuts? wrong wit d pups in their now?! ?
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          Word! Like wuts? wrong wit d pups in their now?! ?
                          wtf?

Comment

hahahaha....

i would skip the invaders. to me, they are lifeless. i found the tone zone to have to much in the midrange - which sucks for me because i use a lot of mids on my amp. it may work for you. go to di'marzio's website and look at their tone sample page. it will help, a lot.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

again idk what im talking about but i switch the pick ups alot to the last one (sorry for my stupidness)

Comment

Working...
                              X