What kind of pickups for a PRS CE 24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of pickups for a PRS CE 24?

I'm buying the guitar used and it has a dimebucker in the bridge and something unknown in the neck position. What kind of pickup combo would you suggest? I play 80's hair metal, hard rock and shred typr music (Vai, MacAlpine, Moore). For equipment I use an AX FX Ultra with a pair of Adam Audio A7 studio monitors.

With such a nice setup, does it really matter? I personally like active pickups, but with all that the axefx can do i would think what u have now would sound great. Maybe a '59 at the neck?

Comment

Well, I think the Dimebucker is a turd pickup. You need something with a bit of transparency and something you can put lots of layers on I guess, with that set up.

If you could stretch I would say go with either a BKP Holy Diver or Nailbomb or Suhr SSH+ or Aldrich (bridge) and pair that with a BKP Cold Sweat or Suhr SSV in the neck.

If you want pickups that you might find second hand more easily, try a DiMarzio Super III, EVO II or Seymour SH6 in the bridge and pair that with a Seymour full shred or DiMarzio Paf Pro in the neck.
      All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

i had a duncan custom/custom and a '59 in one of my CE24's a while back. it was a good set-up, but i still prefer the original HFS and dragon bass that PRS puts in at the factory. the duncans sounded good, but it lacked that PRS "something" that makes PRS unique.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Good point, actually. I had a '95 CU22 and the Dragon 1s in it were awesome so if you could somehow get hold of a set, they would scream. I would say the HFS and Bass are nearly as good and the Dragon IIs not so much. I never understood why they stopped making Dragons and persisted with Dragon IIs.

I'd get that awful Dimebucker out of there asap though.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

PRS is one of those guitars that just sound the "best" the way they come. i thought the SD loaded CE24 was sweet until i got a new one that was bone stock. it destroyed the SD loaded one. so, i went on a quest to play a few PRS guitars, and i brought my SD loaded one....the stock PRS guitars KILLED the modded one every time.

you can find used PRS pickups on e-bay. they aren't cheap. some pickups you can buy from PRS, too. go to their website and see what they have in stock.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I love my CE24 with EMG's..

I have the 81/85 combo with the rotary selector replaced with a mini toggle

Comment

Working...
              X