Dsl100 jcm200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dsl100 jcm200

I was wanting to know what a fair value would be for a 2 year old, barely turned up DSL100, I'm getting an offer to get one of I trade one of my guitars I paid $350 for and my Marshall AVT 150 and I spent around $250 for this head, would it be a good value at $600 worth of my stuff for this Marshall DSL100,I'd like some opinions please.
    Last edited by hunter1970; 03-19-2011, 04:53 PM.

Of course I meant JCM2000.

Comment

Unfortunately for you, $550. I have an "Orange Crush" 1/2 stack I bought new in 1998. I'll never break even at the rate we're going

Edit: never mind, I see you are buying and not selling

Yes, the cheapest I've seen them go is $550 on craigslist.

Comment

Well I've decided to keep my guitar and my AVT for now, I just can't justify trading my stuff for something I can try and save up and buy.I really hate to get rid of anything.
        And I couldn't get no-one here to convince me how good the DSL is.
        Last edited by hunter1970; 03-20-2011, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1970 View Post
          And I couldn't get no-one here to convince me how good the DSL is.
          Ok, I guess the fact that I've had one since 1998 isn't good enough for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Ok, I guess the fact that I've had one since 1998 isn't good enough for you.

Re-read your post. It didn't make much sense to me either. It didn't really give any specifics on much of anything - "Orange Crush"? What's that?

The DSL is a fine amp - lots of people use them. They aren't the newest, and they aren't super high gain. They aren't particularly versatile. But what they do, they do well. Sound best at gig volumes. If you're getting it as a bedroom amp, look elsewhere. They don't rock for that.

Comment

I will be using it for gigs and I would like to have this kind of power instead of pushing the AVT and not getting much out of it as it loses tone the more you turn it up towards gig level, my drummer plays loud.
              And as far as having an amp 12+years since 1998, well that's good enough for me, but I think I'll save my gear and just try and save up and buy one, along with a 1960B 4x12.
              Thanks to everyone who responded and feel free to let me know what you think, it's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                Re-read your post. It didn't make much sense to me either. It didn't really give any specifics on much of anything - "Orange Crush"? What's that?

The DSL is a fine amp - lots of people use them. They aren't the newest, and they aren't super high gain. They aren't particularly versatile. But what they do, they do well. Sound best at gig volumes. If you're getting it as a bedroom amp, look elsewhere. They don't rock for that.
                Ok, I'll try to be clearer. At first I thought the poster was trying to dump an amp, not buy one.

The Orange Crush was a special run of 100 DSL100's, and other amps covered in orange vinyl for the release of the new amps (the JCM2000 series).

I agree, not super high gain, but high enough for what I need (up to Thrash Metal). But a Tube Screamer can fix that.

I disagree with not versatile. I can go from clean on the green channel, to crunch with the boost pushed in, to lead on the red channel, to ultra lead. I get plenty of tones. If I need more, simply hit the front end with a simple boost or throw and EQ into the loop.

I play mine in a bedroom only, but it's a big bedroom.
                Last edited by DonP; 03-20-2011, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Post a pic of the Orange Crush, I'd like to see that.

Comment

Orange Crush:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I sure wish I could come across one of those.

Comment

Yes, you'll notice the little "Orange Crush" badges on the head and cab.

When I saw it in the store in 1998, I had been out of touch with guitars for about 7 years (getting a wife, kids, house, moving from CA to KY). I was floored when I saw and heard it, so I walked out with it that day, paying the "on sale" price of $1,800. I've gotten a lot of good use out of it over the years, so no complaints.

Also, the tone does get better with time. When I got it new, the tight speakers made it a little harsher. It's smoothed out over time, and sounds really good. The only issue I've had is that it threw a power tube after a few months. I just went and got a single Svet EL-34, biased it up, and have been running good since.

Comment

I've had a DSL100 for about 9 years. I bought it used. No issues aside from having to replace the tubes.
                          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Well I really want to get it, I mean at first we was gonna trade my guitar that I paid $350 for that sell for around $500-$600 used,but then I mentioned that the DSL would be replacing an AVT150H that I got for an old crate head someone gave me and $200.
                            So I would be getting a 2 year old head I've been wanting and giving up a guitar I didn't really want but got because it was so cheap,and I'd be giving up a head I was hoping to trade towards a 1960B, but either way I'll be satisfied.as long as I don't play the guitar too much, that way I don't become too attached to it.I mean I still have my Jackson Stars, Jackson DK2M,Charvel Models 2 & 4,and a 1987 USA Jackson with a Model 88 neck.
                            So I'm not really gonna miss the guitar, but I'll have to wait on a cab and keep playing on my Kustom Q4x12 with Celestion Super 65's.
                            Last edited by hunter1970; 03-21-2011, 08:50 AM.

Comment

It can be a tough choice, picking a new amp. If you can, make sure it's what you want by testing some in stores, but on the flip side of this I've heard crappy ones in stores (cheap tubes, crappy cabs they are hooked up to...).

Comment

Working...
                              X