Marshall JTM 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JTM 30

I was window shopping in GC when I came across a Marshall JTM 30. I played through it at low volume and liked what I was hearing but didn't get to crank it. Anyone know how this amp really sounds cranked and with a tube screamer in front of it. Really thinking about getting it, any opinions? Thanks

The 30 and 60 had transformer issues so I have passed on a few.
    Not saying they are bad just something I found doing research on them.If the price is right then snag it and if a tranny blows mercury is a fine replacement.
    I found a NOS 60 for $600.00 and was quite tempted.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a JTM 30 and just love it!

I too heard that there were issues of overheating but I removed the back metal grill and never had any problems. I changed all the tubes and my tech changed a bad pot but that has been it.

My tech said that they get a bad rap for no real reason. They were built in the UK in the early 90's and construction is no better or worse than any other PCB Marshall.

I have heard of folks that swapped out one of the preamp tubes for a cooler running one as well. Tons of info on that mid can be found on the net.

Killer amp with a Fender type clean that is unheard of on a Marshall. The gain channel sounds like a cross between my JCM 900 and my old JMP1.

Scored mine on Craigslist for $200 IIRC. Reverb sucks but with the FX loop I just run my Digitech TSR-24S.

Comment

I heard they get hot too but to tell you the truth, most Marshall amps run hot.
        Try it cranked up and if you like it.. buy it!
        Its all about your ears.

Comment

I had the JTM 60 1x12 for a few years. It eventually blew and I traded it for a roadcase - I beleive the new owner had it fixed and liked it.

The one I ended up owning was the 3rd I brought home from Sam Ash in 1997 - the first two blew up - both within a couple of days of ownership - and were replaced.

I really liked the dirty channel - it gave you some buzzy hi-gain sound at low volumes, but the character would completely change once you got the EL 34's roaring - and then it was like whoa-man - great hot rodded Marshall sound - big thick and chewy (that's what she said).

I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred figuring on another $200 to fix it.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Went to go get it and I'll be damned if there wasn't an old school Boogie tremoverb there next to it. Well I went with the Boogie, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Not gonna sleep well tonight, can't wait.

Comment

Cool. I too remember hearing about heat related problems with those, and the 30th Ann. combos.

Comment

Turned the standby on and let her rip. The modern channel screams but I think I really like the vintage channel.

Comment

So, you checked out a JTM 30 and liked it and when you went back to the store you bought a tremoverb?
                  Nothing like being open minded when it comes to guitar tones. Those 2 amps couldn't be further apart in regards to tone structure!!
                  With that said... I would have taken the Tremoverb too. Love those Mesa amps and I am more of a Marshall guy.
                  Congrats!!!

Comment

I did like it and I still want it because I do like the Marshall sound but I A/B them and ended up with the Mesa. I'm very open minded to different guitar tones. I want ever amp made haha. By the way what I was really stopping in for was to see if I could score a DSL2000. They had none.
                    Last edited by rattlehead74; 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
                      I did like it and I still want it because I do like the Marshall sound but I A/B them and ended up with the Mesa. I'm very open minded to different guitar tones. I want ever amp made haha. By the way what I was really stopping in for was to see if I could score a DSL2000. They had none.
                      I had 2 Tremoverbs and they were both awesome. Great build quality too!

Comment

Working...
                      X