Polyphonic guitar effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyphonic guitar effects?

Does anyone know anything other than Electro Harmonix polyphonic octave generators (Pog, MicroPog, Pog2, Hog) when it comes to non-MIDI, non-huge-rack-processor effects? Boss OC-3 has a polyphonic function but it only goes one and two octaves down and is not very good when it comes to playing chords.

What I need is to create sort of an orchestra or synth pad effect. I can emulate monophonic analog synth sounds and whatnot but I also need some big spacey background sound which can only be made polyphonically.

Pog2 or Hog are great for this. But I'm wondering if there's something similar out there?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Does this count as a polyphonic effect?

I just picked up the new Boss PS-6 Harmonist and it will do some interesting polyphonic stuff in pitch shifter mode. It works better on d string or higher note-wise. Down lower it gets kind of muddy but it shifts polyphonically at some neat intervals. The harmony modes work pretty awesome for a $150 stomp box too.

Check out P7 of the manual for the intervals you can pick. The octave lets you pull off some good 12 string sounds.

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/PS-6_OM.pdf

Best thing is everyone and their dog carries Boss stuff so it's easy to try one out and see if it's suitable.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Here's a quick demo of guitar clean, then through the PS6 in pitch shift mode. (+7,-5) Keep in mind this is an effect demo and not an attempt at creating art.

http://soundcloud.com/magentaslaad/ps6-demo/s-owNV1

P.S. sorry for the reverb, I had it on Supa Long and was too lazy to change it up and re-record...
      Last edited by Hellbat; 04-06-2011, 08:57 PM.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Gotta have reverb or delay for the trippy stuff man! Sounds cool, it does the same kind of organ effect like MicroPog + a lot more. I watched some videos and it also did a pretty cool whammy pedal effect. I'm very interested in that new Boss harmonizer.

But I also wish something with even more tones (2 octaves up etc.) and possibly with attack control to great this big spacey sound like in these videos -

This is pretty much what I want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3aqZSywx7k

And this drone thing during the first part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOEOdrkWN_4

This guy also gets a pretty cool spacey sound at 3:27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llQ_irOD4ys
        Last edited by Endrik; 04-08-2011, 03:37 AM.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm still gonna check the PS-6 out, I think it might get the job done too, just need to loose the attack with volume knob or pedal.

This guy did it with MicroPog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjVeulLZFs

Comment

Awesome thread, i didn't even know about the HOG or POG before now and the PS-6 looks incredible! So beautifully simple and super clever! Endrik, if you've never tried Native Insturments Guitar Rig, i recommend you do - you can get all of these great swelling and shimmering effects easily and it's great for studio work. Although if you have this in mind for more of a live setting then i guess a pedalboard of EHX stompboxes would be the way to go rather than a laptop.
            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I have NI Guitar Rig. Just earlier today I used a pitch shifter (a whammy pedal simulator) with +1/-1 octave setting, a chorus a lot of delay and by doing swells with my volume knob I got pretty much what I need. But Guitar Rig is for messing around at home and for recording ideas which pop into my head. In studio or live I'm strictly a tube amp and stomp box motherfucker.
              Usually I don't use much effects but in one of my projects I need to emulate keyboards, samplers and whatnot. And I don't want to use fancy processors and MIDI systems, that would be too easy and impersonal, anyone can do it with all that shit. I want to use the least amount of effects as possible and relying more on playing technique but the music demands a lot of different textures so inevitably a lot of pedals are piling up.
              This atmospheric-string-synth sound was the only thing which I didn't manage to get yet. EHX stuff would be the best option of course, they make absolutely amazing pedals but HOG, Pog etc. are rather expensive and big. I'm a city person, I either walk everywhere or use public transportation. I can't carry big pedalboards along. I already carry a guitar case or two and a really heavy backpack which is full of stomp boxes, cables, a laptop etc. So smaller pedals would be a lot better for me. MicroPog is smaller but PS-6 has the same function + a lot more. Definitely gonna try it out next week.

Comment

POG's are perfect for getting organ sounding tones, other guitarist in my band plays one and I'd still love to add a HOG to my board. It's just low on the GAS priority list because they are kind of a 1 trick pony, even though it's an awesome trick. The PS-6 for me was bought to satisfy a need (in my mind haha) for one of my band's songs to have a Thin Lizzy 3rds harmony section. The other stuff it can do is just awesome bonus.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Nah, definitely not one trick ponies, specially HOG which has all kinds of crazy filter effects built in. You can do spacey string sounds, analog synth lead sounds, with distortion a really brutal singular riff sound. With either bass or guitar you can do an authentic drum'n'bass bass-synth sound just by cutting off the dry signal and all the other stuff completely and cranking the sub-octave.

Comment

I still decided to get POG2 and Ring Thing (ring modulator which also does other modulation effects (great univibe and leslie emulator), pitch shifting, whammy effects, downtuning and a punch of crazy out of space sounds) from EHX.

I get pretty cool disco fag sounds with them.
                    This one is with crybaby wah->pog2->ring thing->boss ce-5 chorus->boss-dd3 delay straight into MacBook, no post processing.

http://soundcloud.com/emarbre/house-...r-crybaby-pog2

Comment

I could feel my lapels widening just listening to that. And my pants developed this shimmery satin lustre
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        This one is with crybaby wah->pog2->ring thing->boss ce-5 chorus->boss-dd3 delay straight into MacBook, no post processing.
                        ....Because by itself it has enough processing to last a lifetime
                        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I would suggest a Roland GR55. I've seen demos of it, and its good for chords too. No straying notes or unwanted mutes as I get on my Boss GT-10's synth patches. You will of course need to fit the GK3 pickup to the guitar too. The tracking/response on the older GR33 and GR20 is shit.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

No effect that takes a mono signal does a great job for polyphonic shifting. I had a POG. It was OK. You could get some organ type tones out of it - convincing strings not so much. I've got the Boss harmony pedal - I'd be more than happy to get rid of it

The GR-55 is awesome though - it using a GK pickup which is polyphonic so all that stuff works great. Same with the VG-99.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                            X