Amp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp advice

I'm looking at buying a Marshall JVM410H to go with my Marshall 1960A 4X12 but events tonight have got me thinking. I went to see a band in a pub, which is the kind of venue my band will soon be playing and a few of things struck me:

1) I doubt I'd fit my 4X12 in the space they had!
    2) They weren't that loud due to the limited space and valve amps usually sound worse quieter so why the hell am I looking at 100w?
    3) The guitarist was using what looked like a new Spider Valve and was getting some decent saturated lead tones and I doubt I could do that on a 100w valve amp without earsplitting volume.

For a largely pub band, is a JVM 410H really the best choice for me and if not, what is a really good option to give me a wide range of quality tones and saturated leads for a covers band?

Show up with 2 4x12s (or 1 8x12) and a Marshall Major

Overkill? Probably!
    But I believe the saying claims there is no such thing
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The JVM series has something called a Master Volume that works extermely well. If you like the amp, go for it. I did and it's been with me for close to 3 years (which is a record... ).

Comment

1. The JVM410 sounds good even at lower volumes. Otherwise, give the JVM205 a shot.

2. The Spider Valve can be incredibly loud! The 212 combo is still 40 watts, and 40 watts is still incredibly loud. Now I have to head...ouch.

3. More is better!. 100 watts isn't much louder than 50 watts. But it always (to me) seems like it has a lot more girth and grunt. I like that since I'm not a big proponent of lotsa bass in my guitar tone, but I do like meat.

Comment

I'm really in two minds about this now. On the one hand, if I get a 2X12 combo it will be easier to transport and set up but I don't immediately see how a 100w head and 4X12 is any worse for space. It's still the width and depth of a 2X12, it's just taller.

Anyway, I'm going to have a rethink about this so any suggestions and comments would be welcome. I have about £600 available and it doesn't have to be new. This figure is flexible as if I go the 2X12 combo route I'll sell the 4X12, which will give me more funds. The amp will need to be able to do clean, 80s Metal and Metallica/Disturbed with all three being able to take a good boost for solos. At the moment I'm thinking of these:

1) Marshall JVM410h with my 4X12
          2) Marshall JVM410C 2X12
          3) Blackstar HT Stage 60 2X12
          4) Bugera 333XL INFINIUM 2X12 (This will need a speaker upgrade)
          5) Wait to take a look at the new Laney Ironheart amps
          6) Get a Digitech RP1000 and shove thjat through virtually any valve combo and sell all my pedals as well as the 4X12

Comment

You definitely need a closed-back cabinet for tight bass for any kind of metal sounds, an open back combo just isn't gonna get that.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doadman View Post
              I'm really in two minds about this now. On the one hand, if I get a 2X12 combo it will be easier to transport and set up but I don't immediately see how a 100w head and 4X12 is any worse for space. It's still the width and depth of a 2X12, it's just taller.
              What about a vertical 2x12 cab? My Mesa is about 2/3 the size and weight of a normal 4x12, which has definitely made a difference in terms of both vehicle and stage space. I just bought a Carvin V3M (see my thread about that) specifically for the purpose of having a smaller out-of-town rig than my usual half-stack. Another consideration might be a 4x10 cab, or even a 4x10 combo. I had an old `70s Peavey Classic 50/410 that worked great for gigging, but I somehow convinced myself that I needed a "real" half-stack and sold it. Still kicking myself over that one.
              sigpic

Comment

I own a Marshall JVM410H and I am EXTREMLY satisfied. It is a fantastic amp.
                '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                '13 Gibson M-III
                Taylor 214CE
                Dean 6-string Bass
                Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Get the JVM410 head to go with your 4x12. Then buy the Line 6 combo(you can find a used one for probably less than $200) for the small gigs. Then you will have it all covered.

Comment

i use a 120 watt rivera live all the time. i run the master between 3-4, and it is LOUD. my band usually plays large clubs and theaters. lately we have started playing small clubs, bars and tiny little shit-holes so we can play more. i found that the huge, stereo rivera rig with (2) 2x12 cabs and a rack was a bit too much, LOL.....so, i ended up doing something very different. something i NEVER thought i would do because it goes against everything that i believe in regarding tone-sculpting.....

i bought an egnater tweaker. it is a single channel, 15 watt tube head with an effects loop. my band needs clean and dirty sounds, so i bought a VOX satchurator for my distorted sounds. i run the head into my rivera 2x10 cab. it sounds great!! it is plenty loud enough and has a great, girthy tone. to get some delays and chorus during leads i run my little plastic zoom pedal in the loop. it is great!!!! quick to set-up and i can have good power tube grunt.

to give a comparison, we played this one bar/pub with a 75 person capacity twice. the first time i rolled in with my rivera rig. the owner almost had a heart-attack just looking at it. once we started playing, i had the master on 2 and they were bitching that it was too loud. patrons walked out. i ended up dropping my master to a fucking 1/2!!!!! my "tone" was like somebody threw a blanket over the cab THEN mic'd it. now, we weren't mic'd for the "show" - we just ran our gear at the volume we practice with - again, WAY too loud for this place.

so we went back a couple weeks later and i brought the egnater rig. it was perfect. i had the master about half way up and my tone was good for me and the volume was reasonable enough for the venue. no patrons left. we rocked. everyone was happy.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

2x12 combo amps, particularly valve combos, have to be the heaviest thing out there in my experience. While it's nice to have an "all in one" solution, those things are ridiculous to haul around!

If I were gigging, given the option, I'd do a head/cab. While the overall weight might be more, I think the two pieces tens to be less of a hassle than one rally heavy one.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        2x12 combo amps, particularly valve combos, have to be the heaviest thing out there in my experience. While it's nice to have an "all in one" solution, those things are ridiculous to haul around!
                        that is the truth!!!! shoot, my rivera M60 1x12 combo weighs almost 100lbs. i NEVER move that thing unless i have to.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                          that is the truth!!!! shoot, my rivera M60 1x12 combo weighs almost 100lbs. i NEVER move that thing unless i have to.
                          Damn, I thought my combo was heavy at 58 pounds haha!
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

It's much easier to carry two heavy loads, each in one hand (your spine and hip will thank you)
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                              It's much easier to carry two heavy loads, each in one hand (your spine and hip will thank you)
                              If you can carry a 100-watt tube head in one hand and a Marshal 1960 412 in the other, you're a better man than I!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X