Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate SS Repair

Hello there!

My SS* Crate GX140D has been fucked up for years now, it switches back and forth between Clean and Lead channels rapidly.

This sucks ass to say the least because this amp had a very cool clean stereo chorus channel. It also had a great lead channel with a Shape knob... anyway I have done much research about fixing this thing.

Has anyone here had this problem and successfully fixed their SS Crate?

It happens to many late 90's early 2000's

*SS means Solid State
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

I had the same problem with my Crate (years ago). I sprayed the pots/switchs (including the front channel switching)with this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102649 (I think this stuff is dangerous so wear gloves/mask). Also, I had to clean the plug in the back that controls the channel switching. I cant remember which one fixed it but I did fix it. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by z1n; 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM.

Comment

The problem is internal on the board. It switches channels even if the foot switch is not connected.
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Sounds like a bad relay(it might have one), or the switch on the front is frozen in such a manner that it continually switches back and forth. Id start with spraying some contact cleaner into the switch on the front. If that doesnt cut it (no pun intended), then Id take the amp apart and replace the switch, which WILL be a pita, especially if you done know how to solder. The only other thing beyond that that I could think of would be if it uses a relay to switch channels, find it, and replace it, probably as equal a pita as replacing the switch.

EDIT: This could just be the tip of the iceberg so to speak. If it does indeed use a relay, it will take a power source to engage the relay, which may be functioning inappropriately as well. It may just be better use of your time to buy a new one. Without a schematic, its hard telling whats going on on there.
        Last edited by Twitch; 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I seem to remember the problem with mine being the back plug for the channel foot switching. I could plug the foot switch in and out a few times, kinda fast, and it would correct the problem. The plug internally has prongs that are no longer making a good connection when you remove the plug for the channel foot switch. At least that's what mine was doing.
          Last edited by z1n; 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
            I seem to remember the problem with mine being the back plug for the channel foot switching. I could plug the foot switch in and out a few times, kinda fast, and it would correct the problem. The plug internally has prongs that are no longer making a good connection when you remove the plug for the channel foot switch. At least that's what mine was doing.
            That would make sense too.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Well I opened it up and disconnected and reconnected all the wires that had clips and prongs... and it did the trick hasn't switched channels or anything funky yet.

The Chorus channel is not a cool as I remembered it.
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

My little crate g60xl that I had since I was learning to play lost its high gain a few year ago. I sent it in to Crate, and they fixed it and sent it back really fast for cheap....like
                around $40 or something total. I use the amp a lot for around the house still to this day,,,,,sounds awesome at LOW volumes....and they fixed it as good as new in a short time frame. Call them up and send it in.

Comment

I narrowed it down to this band of wires as the problem... where can I find a replacement if one exist?

I know I am not using the correct terms but you get the point

rggsd4d544.jpg
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Something like that is usually proprietary to the amp. Can Crate supply you with a replacement?

Other than that, I'd say find the parts to make your own. You'll need to be be careful to get the wires in the correct order.

Comment

Crate's website has been hacked... they're not very helpful at all anyway.

I'll try fixing this one for now.
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Working...
                      X