For those with POD stuff.....looking for a good EVH sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those with POD stuff.....looking for a good EVH sound

I never was really good at trying to imitate someone's sound, so I am not going to bullshit. I am having a helluva time trying to dial it in on the POD HD500. I have ran the effects identical to Eddie's setup ( minus the Variac of course ). I come up with a sound I think is close and realize it is not even in the smae ballpark when I compare my playing to the album ( Panama is the one I am trying to nail as that is my favorite tone of his ). If you could tell me your settings, I would greatly appreciate it.

I can get great tones out of this, just not the EVH. Could you guys tell me your settings? Unfortunately, only HD patches work with HD. I know I will have to tweak some, but, if I can get close, I think I can take care of the rest of it.

There is an update coming this month that adds 6 new amps and allows us to tweak the tube settings in those and previous amp heads ( sag, bias, etc. ). Really looking forward to this. -Lou

PS, please don't tell me to buy a tube amp, a variac, etc. I want to get close with the POD.
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

I always try to run a mid-gain Plexi, and hammer it with a Tubescreamer. Then either delay or BIG verb to taste.

Bass - noon
    Mid - 2:00
    High - 3:00

Might be a little middy for EVH, but I like mids.

Comment

Don't they have usergroups with a bunch of presets you can go through online? I remember back in the day Pete (Twiteramnps) saying his old POD 2.0 had a great "Eruption" preset. That's not exactly what you want but perhaps someone out there has made a "Panama" preset that you could use? Sorry not to have a specific answer.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i have a POD 2.0 (i know, i know....) and the way i get a good EVH-type sound is to use the JCM800 model with the fender deluxe 1x12 cabinet model. i found that using that cab gets the guitar sound up in your face more and it has a cut that the 4x12 models don't have. after that i just put a bit of reverb on it and some of line 6's compression to give a hair more sustain.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
          Don't they have usergroups with a bunch of presets you can go through online? I remember back in the day Pete (Twiteramnps) saying his old POD 2.0 had a great "Eruption" preset. That's not exactly what you want but perhaps someone out there has made a "Panama" preset that you could use? Sorry not to have a specific answer.
          Yes, and the EVH patch I created is one of the better ones there..... I am still not pleased with it.

What delay or reverb settings are you using. No matter what I try, it either sounds like way too much or its like I do not have it on at all. -Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Which 6 amps are they adding? I was really disappointed they left out the 5150. Did that make it in?
            I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
              Yes, and the EVH patch I created is one of the better ones there..... I am still not pleased with it.

What delay or reverb settings are you using. No matter what I try, it either sounds like way too much or its like I do not have it on at all. -Lou
              I don't have any POD gear. Back in the day I used an X100B with a BOSS SD-1, EH Memory Man, and EH Electric Mistress to approximate the sound. I'm sure I didn't nail it, but I had a Westone Paduak I with Rockinger trem and one Gotoh Dual-sound pickup, and an onboard preamp. Primitive but we're talking 1982-83 for the Eruption sound. Panama was not around yet!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I believe the patch is called Mississippi Criminal. Just through a tube screamer in front, add a bunch of delay and reverb and pick a Marshall 4 x 12 loaded with V30's. Done.

Comment

Never tried to get an EVH sound, but the Variac Plexi on the POD XT is one of my favorite models.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Make sure to use a Plate reverb. I've found plate = VH sound in my modelling adventures.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      Make sure to use a Plate reverb. I've found plate = VH sound in my modelling adventures.
                      I definately agree on this. EVH actually used an Echo Tape, but, the emulation on the HD just doesn't sound right. I have also tried a Digital Delay with similar settings to EVH's DD3 and it didn't sound that great.

I think the biggest problem is that the Variac is not one of the modules on the HD.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the unit as it is an amazing piece. It is just my quest to dial in a great EVH tone.-Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                        Which 6 amps are they adding? I was really disappointed they left out the 5150. Did that make it in?
                        Here's a bit from the press release:

FREE UPDATE FOR POD® HD MULTI-EFFECTS ADDS NEW HD AMP MODELS AND MORE — Six HD amp models and five tone parameters in free v1.3 update provide a wider tonal palette and added flexibility to all POD HD multi-effect processors —

CALABASAS, Calif.—April 6, 2011—Line 6, Inc. (line6.com), the industry leader in digital modeling technology for musicians, announced today a free update for all POD® HD multi-effect processors. Firmware update v1.3 will include six new HD amp models and five new amp parameters for addition tones and flexibility.

“This free update is our way of thanking POD HD owners for making the POD HD family such a huge success,” remarked Michael Murphy, Category Manager for POD and Effects Products at Line 6. “The new sets of HD models and parameters deliver a deeper experience to the POD HD platform and more flexibility that we hope will inspire POD HD players.

” The six new HD amp models available in v1.3 are based on* channels from three classic American combos (the “Vibrato” channel of a Fender® Deluxe Reverb®, the “Vibrato” channel of a Fender® Twin Reverb® and the “Bright” channel of a Fender® Bassman®), two British half stacks (the “Normal” channel of a Park 75 and the “Normal” channel of a Marshall® JTM-45 MkII) and a high-gain Line 6 original.

The inclusion of alternate channels of amps already found in POD HD multi-effects ensures an experience that more closely relates to playing the actual modeled amp. The new parameters in v1.3 enable POD HD users to further customize and dial in any amount of tube amp feel and behavior. Sag, Hum, Bias, Bias Excursion and Master Volume can be adjusted within any HD amp model, including the 16 that come with POD HD multi-effects processors originally.

Firmware update v1.3 will be available to download from line6.com later this month. Learn more about the v1.3 update and POD HD multi-effect processors at line6.com/podhd.

Best regards

Soren

Comment

Working...
                        X